eurovision song contest wtf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2016 07:01 PM by Leerob.)
eurovision song contest wtf?
I just made a big blog post about that on my post but I wanna hear some more opinions so I will give you the short version as well as the link to the blog post in the end:

So throughout my childhood and teenage years I would always watch the eurovision song contest. I grew up being drowned in music. I play several instruments and used to sing. I spent a significant amount of time on stages (singing or performing otherwise) so I know a thing or two about music.
I also want to mention that I can appreciate an effort, I can appreciate music that I am not used to or generally dislike and for styles or musical era's I am not playing favourites at all. So I like stuff from classics to hard rock and from pop music to techno.

So the eurovision song contest, for those who don't know it, is a huge contest where different countries will send a singer or a band to compete with one song against the other countries. For this the countries themselves have big shows to vote on who will go and compete.
During the big finals, which are hosted in a different country every year, every singer/band gets to perform their song and in the end a jury and the viewers will vote and give points to the songs they liked.
When I was young, there was a very high standard in what would even be allowed to perform there. You would always have people who know music, who are professinals and usually either well-known or managed by someone well-known in the industry.
So you would always get a high quality, very long evening, of music and show once a year.

This year I made my mr watch it with me after I missed it for so many years.
We got to mock pretty much every one for their horrible performance. Almost all the songs sounded the same and it all sounded kinda cheaply made and just written in 5 minutes. What a drop in quality. And how sad to see that this is obviously what the audience wants, otherwise a song like that could not have won...

There were people who were unable to hit a single note, there were people who just yelled the song, there was some badly written club music, there was a weird artistic frog man who did fucking hand stands while the "singer" "sang". I swear, the WTF-moments were endless (see the full list in the blog post).

The moderations were written so badly and so poorly and so forced funny. It was at most cringy.
They mentioned in the beginning, that 200 Million people would be watching the show.
I can appreciate the effort they did with the stage. The stage and the tech behind it were amazing! And the stage show was most of the time amazing. One was absolutely mind boggling fantastic (i forgot the song sorry). But then, if you put so much effort in the stage and what you can do with it, then why can you not put the same effort in good moderation and jokes that are actually funny. Come on.
And why is Australia performing in a European contest. Since when is Australia part of Europe??

Anyway, rant over. Let me know what you think. If you wanna see the full list of wtf moments during performances, you can find that in the second half of my blog post (with the numbers and bold countries).
EDIT (link fixed. the other one led into the dashboard or something): https://leelasmind.wordpress.com/
cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
14-05-2016, 06:37 PM
RE: eurovision song contest wtf?
I blame all the talent shows that are on everywhere for the low quality in music for the past decade.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Songs are like one day flies anymore, heard today, forgotten tomorrow.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-05-2016, 06:57 PM
I think that since the voting system changed some countries don't put so much effort into the competition. Ireland won the competition seven times in the past but has not made the finals in the last few years. People don't vote for the best song. but for a country. This would explain why on many occasions a crap song from some east European country would win. All their "east European neighbours" would vote for them. It was better when a select panel of experts from each country decided the vote.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
14-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Dom exactly. I feel like most a just made to be catchy and stay in your brain so you think you like it even if it is a very badly written song and there is no artistic value in it any more. (not always of course, but more and more). Music being fabricated in a scientific way rather than artistically.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
15-05-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry, but since my country has won this silly contest two times with really shitty songs, I can't take it seriously. I missed it this year sadly, since I sometimes watch it to laugh endlessly at whatever garbage Romania or fucking Moldova has made this year.

Two years back one of my friends got really high and couldn't stop laughing when that transvestite with a beard won the thing, no offense.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
15-05-2016, 07:51 AM
I just zapped in while the german song was running. Was embarassed and zapped away again. Zapped in a few more times during the competition, didnt even bother to check what nation it was, its all garbage. This competition has devolved to either weird ethno-pop, plain silly madness or meaningless mainstream pop garbage. Depending on year and nation.

Gotta agree with almost everything that already has been said. Found Leeleas blog particulary interesting since i didnt watch much of the contest and looks like i didnt miss a lot.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post