evidence that would convince

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 01:23 PM
RE: evidence that would convince
(13-11-2011 01:01 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Of course, we would never know if it was a god or a "wormhole alien" (ala Deep Space 9)!

One person's god can always be another's alien with unbelievable powers.

(Have watched too many Star Trek episodes to believe in any human-invented god).

Odo was a god for the Worta, he was a security chief for Sisko, and an incredible lover for Kira Nerys. Big Grin

Hmm. Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

I guess the next question would be, What would differentiate aliens such as these from gods?

We'd have to know more about them. But if they could do everything that God is supposed to be able to do, and they claimed they were gods, how would you refute that?

Of course if they were incredible lovers, then they couldn't be the Christian god, because he has no sex life.

Oh wait . . . There was that one time . . . Big Grin

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2011, 01:32 PM
...yea, all the time, she was thinking: "I can't believe this is happening! I can't believe this is happening!" (Just like Leda.)

Or maybe she was thinking of Judea.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
13-11-2011, 01:52 PM

About that dictionary for translating Cantor, I just had a horrible thought:

If "asshole" = "real cool guy" then, maybe the reverse is true: "real cool guy = asshole" but, then it would mean that a "real cool guy" actually means a "real cool guy" (because of the first rule), ant then... oh my head!!! HuhHuhHuh
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2011, 01:57 PM
(13-11-2011 01:32 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  ...yea, all the time, she was thinking: "I can't believe this is happening! I can't believe this is happening!" (Just like Leda.)

Or maybe she was thinking of Judea.

Smile

Leda had the better story to tell, though:

"I just couldn't believe it! There was this huge swan . . . I mean HUGE! And . . . and . . . I mean, what could I DO???"

And she winds up laying two eggs . . . and out of one of them pops Helen of Troy! Pretty cool.

Mary's story seems humdrum in comparison.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
13-11-2011, 02:55 PM
(13-11-2011 01:23 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 01:01 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Of course, we would never know if it was a god or a "wormhole alien" (ala Deep Space 9)!

One person's god can always be another's alien with unbelievable powers.

(Have watched too many Star Trek episodes to believe in any human-invented god).

Odo was a god for the Worta, he was a security chief for Sisko, and an incredible lover for Kira Nerys. Big Grin

Hmm. Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

I guess the next question would be, What would differentiate aliens such as these from gods?

We'd have to know more about them. But if they could do everything that God is supposed to be able to do, and they claimed they were gods, how would you refute that?

Of course if they were incredible lovers, then they couldn't be the Christian god, because he has no sex life.

Oh wait . . . There was that one time . . . Big Grin

How do you know that this year 2011 "God" isn't some alien who has, for centuries seduced his slaves/sheep/food source, to fear him, worship him, and spread his "word" that he is actually our loving father?

What if... as Atheists.... it is our responsibility to pull our ignorant Theists into the realm of reason? If for no other reason than to purge this "God", further science, and preserve our species, what if we must convert Theists to non-Theism?

Fantasizing is fun, huh? Smile
Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-11-2011, 03:05 PM
(13-11-2011 12:52 PM)cufflink Wrote:  What kind of evidence would convince me God exists? Good question.

Here's an answer. (Not original: It's based on ideas from the web site whywontgodhealamputees.com )

Gather 50,000 amputees into a stadium--people who have lost arms and legs to disease, accident, war . . . Suddenly an ineffable light fills the sky and a booming but beautiful voice is heard:

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's me, God. I do exist! And to prove it to you, I'm going to heal all of these amputees."

And miraculously, all the missing limbs start to grow back! Right then and there. Takes no more than a minute. And everybody's arms and legs are restored, good as new.

God could do it, right? After all, He is omnipotent. He can do anything.

Heck, I'd even settle for ONE instance of a healed amputee.

Why do I think it's never gonna happen?
Because yer not a mathematician. Big Grin

We should be able to regrow lost limbs as a function of "self-applied faith healing."

Just a matter of extrapolation and overcoming inertia as a function of time and quantity. The Schrodinger wave function predicts a Johnny Cantor out to Saturn; why am I here? Probability. The limit of statistical analysis is what? The lack of an extant future.

Why stop there? Why stop reductionism at energy? Perhaps all is information, perhaps there is no extant past, perhaps all we lack is the will to access our body's information. Without a past, will can be applied to the information of stem cell to make shit happen.

That's what happens when a mofo agrees with Neils deGrasse Tyson about the failure of Intelligent Design. God is a limit we do not need. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-11-2011, 03:16 PM

(13-11-2011 02:55 PM)kim Wrote:  How do you know that ....... Fantasizing is fun, huh? Smile

On the theme of "how do you know":

I read a really cool sci-fi story once. A mining town was destroyed by an explosion in the night, yet the next morning people woke up as usual, went to work as usual and lived their lives as usual. They noticed one change: commercials and billboards and all forms of advertising became so ubiquitous that there was no escape from it.

At the end of the story they discover that they are nothing but replicas of themselves. A big PR company had bought all the DNA of the dead people, cloned them in miniature form, put them into a miniature replica of their town on a laboratory bench to use as a testing ground for advertising techniques. Imagine their shock when they made it to the edge of the table and looked down!

So -- how do we know anything??? Huh
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 03:24 PM
(13-11-2011 03:16 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 02:55 PM)kim Wrote:  How do you know that ....... Fantasizing is fun, huh? Smile

On the theme of "how do you know":

I read a really cool sci-fi story once. A mining town was destroyed by an explosion in the night, yet the next morning people woke up as usual, went to work as usual and lived their lives as usual. They noticed one change: commercials and billboards and all forms of advertising became so ubiquitous that there was no escape from it.

At the end of the story they discover that they are nothing but replicas of themselves. A big PR company had bought all the DNA of the dead people, cloned them in miniature form, put them into a miniature replica of their town on a laboratory bench to use as a testing ground for advertising techniques. Imagine their shock when they made it to the edge of the table and looked down!

So -- how do we know anything??? Huh
We know stuff. Wink

The moral of your story? Marketing is evil Smile

13-11-2011, 03:31 PM

(13-11-2011 03:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The moral of your story? Marketing is evil Smile

The moral of my story is: Evidence Sucks!

Sorry for shouting!
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Ok Zat - don't break out the raygun. Wink

For me, "evidence" is merely "evidence of a crime;" which reduces to forensics.