evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: evil
(08-03-2015 03:35 PM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 03:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is an atheist forum, whatever your belief may be, we aren't required to pander to you. If you cannot offer any evidence at all and personal reflections, experiences and mythic texts deemed holy by you, do not qualify as evidence, then you're absolutely no different than any others who come here to explain how misguided we are.
Never asked you to pander...do you have any evidence I asked that of you?
The evidence I bring is your own rhetoric against this or against that.....you hold religion as "bad" I cant argue that....faith non evidence...I cant argue that... but to hold theism or the believe in a first cause or creator as "bad" or "negative" you must reject all theist first principles and rhetoric...you must drop all pretence that you can know anything to be bad or negative...that torquemadas torture chambers or stalins purges are only bad in the eye of the beholder...Im sure torqumada and stalin thought their policies very good indeed.

I don't really give a shit about religion. I see no evidence as deity first cause.

You seem to want to insert god, but you cannot have any evidence of that.

Societies deem what's right or wrong. As time passes what is not tolerated or considered "dangerous" or "evil" changes.

Humans like all primates are social creatures who actually do rely on each other. That's evolution. It's innate to us to seek out others. It's how we survived.

All this predates any notions written in a bronze age text. In fact how societies are arranged, predates the written word and any idea of a deity or first cause. Those were all created by people to assuage fears, to give hope, to control and for financial gain.

To suggest that anyone cannot know evil without knowledge of a "first cause" is not really thinking critically but has surrendered to dogma.

I suggest you read up on anthropology, sociology, psychology and history before you accuse us of rhetoric.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-03-2015, 04:25 PM
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  What do I expect from a concept that is responsible for the deaths of close to a billion people in the 20th and 21st century alone...more than all the ages of theism that preceded it. But thats just my insignificant opinion.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

(08-03-2015 03:20 PM)soul Wrote:  So on what basis do you hold anything...evil...bad..negative...undesirable? If you cant answer that question you have no worldview at all.

One would hope that you'd have been intelligent enough to figure out a method by which people may judge things positively or negatively without the addition of a god-variable.
Personally, I just use the metric "Can X cause harm or otherwise degrade the well-being of an individual or group? Yes/No." OF course, this representation ignores all nuance and secondary and tertiary considerations, for the purpose of trying to be as simple for you as possible.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-03-2015, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 04:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
Oh, hello Mr. Soul,
I dropped by
to pick up a reason.

Stick around while the clown who was sick does the trick of disaster.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-03-2015, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 05:08 PM by Full Circle.)
(08-03-2015 11:22 AM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The coding in our "CPUs" is the result of evolution.

As several already pointed out humans are a social animal and as such we have adapted communal instincts to increase survivability of the species. Some of these instincts are defined as altruism, collaboration, magnanimity, sacrifice for others etc.

The "law giver" is our own evolved sense to survive. It is a very common misconception and lack of understanding of evolution by theists who argue, as you do, that gods are responsible for this evolved sense.
the Insect world has slaves....the animal world has fratricide...genocide...matricide...infanticide...cannibalism...forced rape...does that condemn nature as you assert it condemns "bronze age morality"? Survival would be much easier if I could just kill and force my way to the top...so called evolutionary traits are quite strange for the entire animal kingdom except for us. BTW you have no evidence for your assertions above anymore than theists have for theirs.

You are just the latest in along line of drive-bys that doesn’t understand evolution. I’m so out of patience with people like you who decided to skip out on Biology classes.

Your assertions above confirm you are uneducated and just one more embarrassment to the US school system or whatever school system you attended. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Why is it that the least educated are the loudest and proudest?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
08-03-2015, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 05:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2015 05:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Why is it that the least educated are the loudest and proudest?

Bluster is the only defense they can muster. It's the only defense they know. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
08-03-2015, 05:18 PM
(08-03-2015 04:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, hello Mr. Soul,
I dropped by
to pick up a reason.

Well at least I got to hear a great song. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
(08-03-2015 05:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Why is it that the least educated are the loudest and proudest?

It's the old "right by virtue of volume" trick....

Sort of like yelling at foreigners - because "they all understand English".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
(08-03-2015 05:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 04:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, hello Mr. Soul,
I dropped by
to pick up a reason.

Well at least I got to hear a great song. Thumbsup

This is HouseOfCantor's JohnnyC going all Gwynnies on Neil Young and shit. Big Grin

#sigh
08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
evil
What you're calling "snarky" and "angry" are just posts that don't agree with you. Don't pull the usual "atheists are stupid" line. You came here and immediately labeled us with your opinions without asking any of us much of anything.

Next... As someone with ancestors who were "indentured servants" I can say you have no idea what that means. You entered into a mutually beneficial agreement by borrowing money. No one invaded your home and forced you into debt, nor did anyone make it impossible for you to pay it back.

Now, about these questions. People have answered them, but you just don't like the answers. Instead of claiming no one answered them, how about quoting the answers you didn't like and explain why.

Until then, you remain unoriginal. I'm not angry at you. I'm throwing you a bone. We do have some theists here who have stayed for a long time, have good conversations, and still don't agree with us. We also have theists who make jackasses of themselves. It's your decision to decide which you'd rather be.

Hope that helps.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
08-03-2015, 05:31 PM
(08-03-2015 05:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Bluster is the only defense they can muster. It's the only defense they know. Drinking Beverage

I guess so Girly.

They want to hold debates and within a few posts show their ignorance but expect to be taken seriously. Fuck that.

Hey soul, this isn’t fucking Biology 101 so don’t go getting your panties all in a wad when the members of this Forum roll their eyes at your ignorant platitudes and incoherent lack of basic science understanding. Go troll with your boring banalities somewhere else.

Jesus H. Christ, why is it that so many uneducated buffoons feel the need to expose their paltry understanding of the sciences here? Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce