evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 03:18 AM
RE: evil
Here's my 2 cents: Evil is a concept of religion. However if in this world there is no such thing as belief in god..these concepts of negative and positive realities are "nuances of humans perception of morality". That is all people would judge something as evil or not based on their concept of morality and this does not have a need for a god or gods to be present.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 03:42 AM
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...clearly feels religion is a negative....speaks in tones of violated justice...all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God. Atheism gives no explination for evil...(btw I dont bother with spelling...if that bothers you just iggy me)

You know it's fascinating that you brought this up! The question of evil is the ONE THING we atheist have never thought of! I can't speak for anyone else here, but me and my atheist friends are always sitting around, thinking about "things"! Like, this one time me and some of my buddies had just burned a cross (We were all running around naked of course) And someone said: " Well wait a minute??? Did we just violate justice??" Just after we slit his throat and and raped his corpse, I began to wonder. . . "Well, but about the "First Cause"? We MIGHT have done something wrong here! Nice piece of dead ass, but still!!?? Now. Thanks to you! I understand that religion is a POSITIVE! And I PROMISE to never rape anymore dead friends!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
09-03-2015, 05:14 AM
Lol, this thread is the epitome of why I stopped coming to this forum and also why I keep checking in now and then.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
09-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Then what do they base it on
THAT is what Im asking...if an atheist finds something wrong...what does that mean. Does an atheist expect that willfull murder of innocencents be illegal? Globally? Or what? Or is to each his own. Many here have said they answered this...but Im not sure where.
09-03-2015, 11:28 AM
(09-03-2015 10:33 AM)soul Wrote:  Then what do they base it on
THAT is what Im asking...if an atheist finds something wrong...what does that mean. Does an atheist expect that willfull murder of innocencents be illegal? Globally? Or what? Or is to each his own. Many here have said they answered this...but Im not sure where.

The first thing you need to understand is that atheists are individuals. As a whole, atheists have nothing in common except for one exception - a lack of belief in a god or gods (and that is different from disbelief in a god or gods too).

So your question about morality isn't really about what all atheists believe, but simply where does morality come from without a god to define it?

First, there is no absolute morality. There is also no objective morality. But those are not the same as "there is no morality".

Morality comes from evolution. While evolving, humans ultimately came to understand that much can be accomplished by working together and cooperating; especially increasing the likelihood of our survival. So that which supports our survival and working together became what is moral.

If you could be certain there is no god, would you suddenly personally find it acceptable to murder your neighbor? Unless you belong behind bars, I'm pretty sure you will answer "no". And it's because evolution has ingrained that into you that murder is not in our collective best interesting and so it literally feels wrong. Yes, there are exceptions and some people do murder and have no conscience about it - that's due to other overriding factors. But, by and large, most of us find murder to be morally wrong due to evolution and no god has anything to do with it.

I've seen some theists reply to this with "so morality is whatever society says it is". So I also want to mention that it is not as simple as society defining something as morally right or wrong. If the government passed a law saying that murder is legal, it wouldn't change that we would still find it to be morally wrong. And that's because murder goes against the collective working together for our mutual benefit and survival that has been ingrained in us from evolution.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 6 users Like Impulse's post
09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Not being snarky but all you did was replace god with evolution....
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
(09-03-2015 12:23 PM)soul Wrote:  Not being snarky but all you did was replace god with evolution....

There is evidence for evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
09-03-2015, 12:39 PM
(09-03-2015 12:23 PM)soul Wrote:  Not being snarky but all you did was replace god with evolution....

You need to ponder harder. "God" supposedly invented, defined, and imposed upon humans what is moral vs. immoral.

Evolution had no conscious course. Morality came from it only by means of what contributes to our survival as a species. In addition, "morality" is simply the label we assign to this occurrence.

Those are entirely different concepts. What I did was replace fiction with facts.

Plus, we know what evolution is and also that it is true. In fact, it can even be argued that evolution is more certain than gravity. There is some question about some areas of quantum physics and whether gravity fits properly. There are no scientific disciplines that raise questions about the validity of evolution. Now, about god, not only are there serious questions, but I doubt you could even provide a definition for "god" that makes any sense.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
09-03-2015, 12:44 PM

We know evolution happens, I even took the time to demonstrate it to you in the simplest terms a few posts back with bacteria and antibiotics.

If you pay close attention to Impulse’s post above he explains things clearly and succinctly.

My question to you is, and Impulse already touched on this, is the only reason you don’t willfully murder innocents your fear of eternal damnation?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-03-2015, 05:38 PM
(09-03-2015 12:47 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 12:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm sorry, but what makes you assume that you're worth the time fuckwit?

Drinking Beverage

Nice job making a rational argument. Oh, wait...
Dildo? Your back?....and why is your name in red?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ