evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 10:30 PM
RE: evil
(09-03-2015 11:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 10:33 AM)soul Wrote:  Then what do they base it on
THAT is what Im asking...if an atheist finds something wrong...what does that mean. Does an atheist expect that willfull murder of innocencents be illegal? Globally? Or what? Or is to each his own. Many here have said they answered this...but Im not sure where.

The first thing you need to understand is that atheists are individuals. As a whole, atheists have nothing in common except for one exception - a lack of belief in a god or gods (and that is different from disbelief in a god or gods too).

So your question about morality isn't really about what all atheists believe, but simply where does morality come from without a god to define it?

First, there is no absolute morality. There is also no objective morality. But those are not the same as "there is no morality".

Morality comes from evolution. While evolving, humans ultimately came to understand that much can be accomplished by working together and cooperating; especially increasing the likelihood of our survival. So that which supports our survival and working together became what is moral.

If you could be certain there is no god, would you suddenly personally find it acceptable to murder your neighbor? Unless you belong behind bars, I'm pretty sure you will answer "no". And it's because evolution has ingrained that into you that murder is not in our collective best interesting and so it literally feels wrong. Yes, there are exceptions and some people do murder and have no conscience about it - that's due to other overriding factors. But, by and large, most of us find murder to be morally wrong due to evolution and no god has anything to do with it.

I've seen some theists reply to this with "so morality is whatever society says it is". So I also want to mention that it is not as simple as society defining something as morally right or wrong. If the government passed a law saying that murder is legal, it wouldn't change that we would still find it to be morally wrong. And that's because murder goes against the collective working together for our mutual benefit and survival that has been ingrained in us from evolution.

I was about to post pretty much your response! Couldn't have said it better dude!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Let's make this simple, soul. "Me want you cave!!" "Chaz want me woman!!!" "Diddo want Chaz's shiny rock!. We fight, kill, die! Girly sees, doesn't want die!! He say: "You keep woman!, cave, rock! We not die!!" D.J. say "Girly not die!" Others die! "I tell others how not die!"
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
09-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Or God did it!
10-03-2015, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 03:10 PM by rezider.)
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...clearly feels religion is a negative....speaks in tones of violated justice...all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God. Atheism gives no explination for evil...(btw I dont bother with spelling...if that bothers you just iggy me)

First, 'evil' is simply a concept.Clearly you have little understanding about the '-ism' that is atheism. Atheism makes no claims. It is simply the lack of belief in a God.

Atheism comes from the Greek word 'atheos' which means a lack of belief in a pantheon of gods. The first atheists might as well have been christians (agh, the irony) because Greeks called christians atheists for not believing in their gods.

Quote:...all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God
If I am able to decypher this correctly, you believe that there is no logic in rejecting the First Cause/God hypothesis.
We've been able to construct a theory that is supported by empirical evidence not warm fuzzy feelings. The God hypothesis is unsupported and therefore we do not need to accept it.
–ěpen a few books (other than the one book you claim to be 'truth') and widen your perspective. Read 'The Grand Design' by Stephen Hawking, 'A Universe from Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, 'The Greatest Show on Earth' by Richard Dawkins. You can learn a lot by reading more than just one book...

Quote:Atheism gives no explination for evil...
Remind me again why 'atheism' has to explain this...

Look, nobody is trying prove religious people wrong. Nobody is on a mission against God. We simply describe the Universe and God happens to be unneeded in the process.

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like rezider's post
10-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Is it even worth the time investment to try and educate this guy? Should I take the time ...there ain't much to work with here...

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
10-03-2015, 11:47 PM
(10-03-2015 11:44 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Is it even worth the time investment to try and educate this guy? Should I take the time ...there ain't much to work with here...

No mate. There's just a little relaxing target practice happening here.

Heavy artillery not required.

... we'll let you know if we need you.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2015, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 11:56 PM by DLJ.)
(10-03-2015 02:34 PM)rezider Wrote:  ...
Atheism comes from the Greek word 'atheos' which means a lack of belief in a pantheon of gods. The first atheists might as well have been christians (agh, the irony) because Greeks called christians atheists for not believing in their gods.

Historically speaking ... more likely that the Greeks (for it is indeed etymologically, Greek) where referring to e.g. Jews and similar non-Greek-god believers.

It's the Romans who would have used the word wrt the christians.

Smartass

(10-03-2015 02:34 PM)rezider Wrote:  ...
You can learn a lot by reading more than just one book...

For punctuation, over to you Tim...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-03-2015, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015 04:57 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Soul: So, you think we atheists need to explain "Evil" to you? Because your Bible explains it better? Well, you are RIGHT when you say we can't do that! Is stepping on a bug evil? Well it is to the bug. So, I think it is obvious (since we all step on bugs) that we are all "evil". So, now we are left with degrees of "Evil". poor example HOW EVIL IS THAT?? Seems pretty evil, right? Well there's a reason why that is so! It's self preservation. If we all run around raping whoever we please, taking what we want, killing our neighbors. We won't survive long! It's not a question of "evil" It's how we have learned to survive so far.
11-03-2015, 12:56 AM
Has anyone posted this yet?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-03-2015, 03:59 PM
(11-03-2015 12:48 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  So, now we are left with degrees of "Evil". Like, if I slide my cock into your seven year old daughters pussy, HOW EVIL IS THAT?? Seems pretty evil, right?

Thank you for this perfect summation of the hostility and perversion that can be expected from posters at this forum. Smile

Undecided - Lecture_preist = Evil_monster

- - - -

On another note: amidst the atheist back-patting and self-congratulating posts in this thread, there seems to be a bit of talk about evolution.

Could someone please direct me to the best thread that TTA has which argues in favor of evolution? That is: what thread makes the best case for evolution against Creationists?

- - -

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-