evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 06:37 AM
RE: evil
(08-03-2015 06:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 06:30 AM)soul Wrote:  And denouncing ignorence would be fine...the question is on what basis can it be considered "bad"

On what basis can what be considered bad? 'Evil'? Ignorance?

You understand that in english..it would refer to ignorance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 06:42 AM
(08-03-2015 06:34 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...clearly feels religion is a negative....speaks in tones of violated justice...all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God. Atheism gives no explination for evil...(btw I dont bother with spelling...if that bothers you just iggy me)

Who is this atheist fellow you speak of? They sound like an interesting person, they could even get on this forum and we could have interesting conversations. I may not agree with everything this person says or believes, but it could be an interesting conversation.
Is something being interesting a "good" thing?
08-03-2015, 06:46 AM
(08-03-2015 06:42 AM)soul Wrote:  ...
Is something being interesting a "good" thing?

Is it? No. Not from a nihilistic perspective. It's neither good nor bad.

Ought it be? I choose to think so. Don't you?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2015, 06:50 AM
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...

Atheism doesn't denounce anything. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. It has no dogma, doctrines, rituals, etc.

Atheists individually denounce many things.

Quote:clearly feels religion is a negative....

Atheism doesn't feel anything about religion. Atheists think about the claims made by religions and reject them due to lack of supporting evidence. Atheists determine that living your life according to unsubstantiated claims, and pushing those unsupported beliefs onto others, has negative consequences.

Quote:speaks in tones of violated justice...

Because justice is often violated by the religious; slavery, subjugation of women, prejudice against homosexuality, etc.

Quote:all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God.

The basis is the fact that we evolved as a social species with the ability to understand and appreciate fairness.

Quote:Atheism gives no explination for evil...(btw I dont bother with spelling...if that bothers you just iggy me)

Atheism gives no explanation for anything. Atheism is only a reaction to theism. Theism doesn't explain why some people perform actions that we label "evil" either; it just makes assertions without evidence that actually don't explain anything. Sociology is much more likely to help you understand "evil" than religion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
08-03-2015, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 08:30 AM by soul.)
(08-03-2015 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 06:33 AM)soul Wrote:  So you have no problem with Children being raised to belive in God.

I think you confuseth is with ought.

Wink

Why is it wrong to lie to children? Who told you this?
08-03-2015, 08:31 AM
That wasnt ment for your post ...i messed up the quote post...sry
[+] 1 user Likes soul's post
08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
(08-03-2015 08:31 AM)soul Wrote:  That wasnt ment for your post ...i messed up the quote post...sry

I could delete the error but I'd prefer to let it stand cos I like a guy who is big enough to apologise when they've erred.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-03-2015, 08:34 AM
(08-03-2015 06:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 06:33 AM)soul Wrote:  So you have no problem with Children being raised to belive in God.

Of course I have a problem with it.

It's wrong to lie to children, especially when the consequences of lying to them scars them for life.
You have not answered Why it is wrong....without a first cause or Lawgiver you have no basis to say anything is "wrong".
08-03-2015, 08:39 AM
(08-03-2015 08:34 AM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 06:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Of course I have a problem with it.

It's wrong to lie to children, especially when the consequences of lying to them scars them for life.
You have not answered Why it is wrong....without a first cause or Lawgiver you have no basis to say anything is "wrong".

That's wrong. Drinking Beverage

We have a common evolved basic moral sense. On that base, we construct a social agreement. We are the lawgiver.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
(08-03-2015 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 08:34 AM)soul Wrote:  You have not answered Why it is wrong....without a first cause or Lawgiver you have no basis to say anything is "wrong".

That's wrong. Drinking Beverage

We have a common evolved basic moral sense. On that base, we construct a social agreement. We are the lawgiver.

^^^
That.

Yes