evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2015, 04:15 PM
RE: evil
(12-03-2015 03:59 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  ...
Could someone please direct me to the best thread that TTA has which argues in favor of evolution? That is: what thread makes the best case for evolution against Creationists?

This one.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-03-2015, 04:27 PM
At work.

Hello, welcome to the forums. Smile

(12-03-2015 03:59 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Could someone please direct me to the best thread that TTA has which argues in favor of evolution? That is: what thread makes the best case for evolution against Creationists?

First thing, perhaps this question can be 'Split off' into its own thread? As it would be a new topic of conversation?

Secondly, I do find the wording of the question strange. Though, in an effort to answer said thing, I believe 'Tikktikalic(sp?) would probably be a good example? As well as I believe there have been links explaining about the significance of such.

Much cheers to all.
12-03-2015, 04:45 PM
(12-03-2015 04:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 03:59 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  ...
Could someone please direct me to the best thread that TTA has which argues in favor of evolution? That is: what thread makes the best case for evolution against Creationists?

This one.

Thank you for the excellent link, DLJ, and thank you Peebothuhul for the welcome.

I'll dive in.

-Laramie

- - -

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
12-03-2015, 04:53 PM
(11-03-2015 12:48 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Soul: So, you think we atheists need to explain "Evil" to you? Because your Bible explains it better? Well, you are RIGHT when you say we can't do that! Is stepping on a bug evil? Well it is to the bug. So, I think it is obvious (since we all step on bugs) that we are all "evil". So, now we are left with degrees of "Evil". Like, if I slide my cock into your seven year old daughters pussy, HOW EVIL IS THAT?? Seems pretty evil, right? Well there's a reason why that is so! It's self preservation. If we all run around raping whoever we please, taking what we want, killing our neighbors. We won't survive long! It's not a question of "evil" It's how we have learned to survive so far.

I knew when you showed back up that it would only be a matter of time before your favorite topic came up again.

Others may have forgotten, I haven't.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Quote:Atheism gives no explination for evil...

Do you mean 'the problem of evil' or evil such as actions/behaviours/immorality? If it's the latter you'll have to be more specific in what you understand to be evil.

I'm also wondering why this question is being asked as a challenge to atheism? As I understand it, atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/gods.

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
12-03-2015, 09:04 PM
(12-03-2015 06:38 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  
Quote:Atheism gives no explination for evil...

Do you mean 'the problem of evil' or evil such as actions/behaviours/immorality? If it's the latter you'll have to be more specific in what you understand to be evil.

I'm also wondering why this question is being asked as a challenge to atheism? As I understand it, atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/gods.

There is no evil for atheists. Only agreed upon consensus. Even then, if atheist, why care?

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
12-03-2015, 09:11 PM
(12-03-2015 03:59 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  On another note: amidst the atheist back-patting and self-congratulating posts in this thread, there seems to be a bit of talk about evolution.

Why don't you just read a book on evolution? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2015, 09:16 PM
(12-03-2015 09:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 06:38 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  Do you mean 'the problem of evil' or evil such as actions/behaviours/immorality? If it's the latter you'll have to be more specific in what you understand to be evil.

There is no evil for atheists. Only agreed upon consensus. Even then, if atheist, why care?

Because we are moral creatures. We share a basic moral sense, a shared empathy that is the product of evolution. We care because we are empathetic. It has survival value.

On that base, we build social agreements of moral systems.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-03-2015, 09:30 PM
(12-03-2015 09:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 06:38 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  Do you mean 'the problem of evil' or evil such as actions/behaviours/immorality? If it's the latter you'll have to be more specific in what you understand to be evil.

Why do you say that? Do you make assumptions about everyone?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-03-2015, 10:47 PM
(12-03-2015 09:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 09:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  There is no evil for atheists. Only agreed upon consensus. Even then, if atheist, why care?

Why do you say that? Do you make assumptions about everyone?

Do I make assumptions about everyone? Typically, yes. If I come onto a forum called "The Thinking Atheist Forum," I'm going to assume that the majority are atheists and that they possess the thought process that logically follows from that philosophy. But I would hazard to assert that I am not as presumptuous as those who gave me such a "warm" welcome reception when I first came onto the forum.

But, please do not take my statement as derogatory. I don't want to derail the train from the track. To rephrase: There is no evil in atheism.

Why say that? Because, logically, that's just how it is. Look, if there's no God, and all a person has is a small 40-70 year window of time of existence, then even if he is considered to be "a moral creature," and even if he does belong to a species that shares a "moral sense," and even if people are evolutionarily empathetic, the question still stands: who cares?

If evolution is just how it is, then for a person to evolve, they ought to break out of the collective anyway and do whatever benefits them as an individual, whether it is to the detriment of others or not. If atheist, there is no Supreme Being, and therefore no accountability for actions beyond this life. If atheist, why even be honest? If atheist, why even attempt income in the standard fashion as the rest of your own species? If atheist, pure unadulterated hedonism would be the ultimate end. Civilization? History? Culture? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters. The thoughts of the human collective don't matter. The only thing that would matter is how you'd feel. Because once it's lights out, that's it. Even participating on a forum like this would seem to be a waste of time.

If I were atheist, I'd be a stock broker and work on Wall Street.

-

-