evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2015, 09:31 AM
RE: evil
From a criminological perspective there are a plethora of theories of why some people are "good" and some people are "bad". I am at work and do not have my copious amount of relative criminological textbooks available to cite, but I remember reading an interesting theory. It posited that we are taught to conform to societal expectations of behavior by our parents, authority figures, teachers...a system of constraints if you will....those that do not conform, become criminals...they do not or are incapable of meeting expectations for behavior.

So then the thought becomes, why do some conform (majority) and why do some not conform (minority)? This theorist further asserted that it is actually unnatural to conform...that we are all born nonconformists with the potential to be..."bad"...it is our system of constraints (parents, authority figures teachers etc) which convinces us to conform, thus be "good" people. So the majority (conformists...."good people) are actually fighting nature...that to resist conformity is natural. Thus the minority (nonconformists..."bad" people) are just normal humans who didn't conform to societal constraints. Intriguing thought.

Thus there is no "evil", just like there is no perfect human. Evil is a thought exercise and implies religious perspectives of good versus evil, god versus satan BS.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
16-03-2018, 06:15 AM
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...clearly feels religion is a negative....speaks in tones of violated justice...all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God. Atheism gives no explination for evil...(btw I dont bother with spelling...

Self-admitted sock puppet returns to tell us what we think while making unfounded assertions... Dodgy

(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  if that bothers you just iggy me)

Will do! Big Grin
16-03-2018, 07:04 AM
(08-03-2015 06:05 AM)soul Wrote:  Atheism clearly denounces things...clearly feels religion is a negative....speaks in tones of violated justice..

Atheism doesn't do any of those things. Some atheists do, but atheism isn't a dogma.

Quote:.all things which it has no logical basis to do following the premise there is no First Cause..or what we theists call God.

Not having an imaginary friend to base morality on doesn't exclude the possibility of having something else on which to base it. You may have an extremely limited way of viewing things but that does not place similar limits on others.

Quote:Atheism gives no explination for evil...

That isn't the the job of atheism; atheism is just the assertion that theism hasn't proven its case. It does not claim to offer answers. On the other hand, theists claim to have answers but also give no explanation for anything, they give only unsupported assertions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Ha! I can't believe I missed the date on this. It's close enough to the current date that I didn't realize the OP was two years old when I necro'ed it. I was a bit surprised it'd gotten this many replies in so short a time.

Oops!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post