evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: evil
(08-03-2015 10:11 AM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hmmmm. Slavery (including ownership of women) is acceptable today? Really?

Consider

Using humans as your standard yes apparently...and I am currently an indentured slave to the bank that holds my mortgage....and my kids student loans

Ah! You're one of those.

Nope. Debt does not equal slavery. There are slaves still today and you're not one of them. Trust me on this. I know from whence I speak.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-03-2015, 10:26 AM
(08-03-2015 10:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:11 AM)soul Wrote:  Using humans as your standard yes apparently...and I am currently an indentured slave to the bank that holds my mortgage....and my kids student loans

Ah! Your one of those.

Nope. Debt does not equal slavery. There are slaves still today and you're not one of them. Trust me on this. I know from whence I speak.

Egads....what has been seen cannot be unseen. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-03-2015, 10:27 AM
(08-03-2015 10:03 AM)soul Wrote:  My understanding of the central lawgiver isnt an external one....but an internal part of all of us...that is to say...like a computer...a coded CPU..(im not uper techie..its a loose comparison) that is the centrality...I profess and expect all humanity to follow basic central tenents because I assume a central code writer.

The coding in our "CPUs" is the result of evolution.

As several already pointed out humans are a social animal and as such we have adapted communal instincts to increase survivability of the species. Some of these instincts are defined as altruism, collaboration, magnanimity, sacrifice for others etc.

The "law giver" is our own evolved sense to survive. It is a very common misconception and lack of understanding of evolution by theists who argue, as you do, that gods are responsible for this evolved sense.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-03-2015, 10:47 AM
(08-03-2015 10:11 AM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hmmmm. Slavery (including ownership of women) is acceptable today? Really?

Consider

Using humans as your standard yes apparently...and I am currently an indentured slave to the bank that holds my mortgage....and my kids student loans

No. You borrowed money. Now you have to pay it back. If you don't want to pay it back then you shouldn't have borrowed it.
If you knock on my door to borrow sugar are you now my servant until I get my sugar back. No of course not. That would be an idiotic way of thinking...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
08-03-2015, 11:19 AM
(08-03-2015 10:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:11 AM)soul Wrote:  Using humans as your standard yes apparently...and I am currently an indentured slave to the bank that holds my mortgage....and my kids student loans

Ah! You're one of those.

Im not sure what "one of those" means. I understand the difference between chattel slavery and indentured servitude..(apparently you think your free to skip out on a mrtgage)....but my point was to say that the evils (as I see it) you described ie slavery etc...are evils that still exist and always will...and in fact thanks to political atheists in communist govts...billions are slaves today...I speak of China and NKorea. Further it shows real irony that you choose the descriptor of abolishonist in your profile when it was Christianity that was the mover and shakers of the emancipation of black slavery. But you still havent answered my main objection...why is slavery wrong at all? the Insect world has slaves....the animal world has fratricide...genocide...matricide...infanticide...cannibalism...forced rape...does that condemn nature as you assert it condemns "bronze age morality"?
08-03-2015, 11:22 AM
(08-03-2015 10:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 10:03 AM)soul Wrote:  My understanding of the central lawgiver isnt an external one....but an internal part of all of us...that is to say...like a computer...a coded CPU..(im not uper techie..its a loose comparison) that is the centrality...I profess and expect all humanity to follow basic central tenents because I assume a central code writer.

The coding in our "CPUs" is the result of evolution.

As several already pointed out humans are a social animal and as such we have adapted communal instincts to increase survivability of the species. Some of these instincts are defined as altruism, collaboration, magnanimity, sacrifice for others etc.

The "law giver" is our own evolved sense to survive. It is a very common misconception and lack of understanding of evolution by theists who argue, as you do, that gods are responsible for this evolved sense.
the Insect world has slaves....the animal world has fratricide...genocide...matricide...infanticide...cannibalism...forced rape...does that condemn nature as you assert it condemns "bronze age morality"? Survival would be much easier if I could just kill and force my way to the top...so called evolutionary traits are quite strange for the entire animal kingdom except for us. BTW you have no evidence for your assertions above anymore than theists have for theirs.
08-03-2015, 11:24 AM
(08-03-2015 10:47 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

No. You borrowed money. Now you have to pay it back. If you don't want to pay it back then you shouldn't have borrowed it.
If you knock on my door to borrow sugar are you now my servant until I get my sugar back. No of course not. That would be an idiotic way of thinking...
Yes just like was said in the bronze age....they called them slaves too...once they borrowed the sugar religion stated they were to be good slaves and pay it back.
08-03-2015, 11:26 AM
(08-03-2015 10:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  

There has never needed to be some god-like creature to teach that.
Of course there is...only you call that godlike creature Man.
BTW God is not a creature but the creator...as theists understand it.
08-03-2015, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 11:33 AM by DLJ.)
(08-03-2015 11:19 AM)soul Wrote:  ...
Further it shows real irony that you choose the descriptor of abolishonist in your profile when it was Christianity that was the mover and shakers of the emancipation of black slavery.

I see you've swallowed that myth too. Take a little dip into the history books.

(08-03-2015 11:19 AM)soul Wrote:  ...
But you still havent answered my main objection...why is slavery wrong at all? the Insect world has slaves....the animal world has fratricide...genocide...matricide...infanticide...cannibalism...forced rape...does that condemn nature as you assert it condemns "bronze age morality"?

I asserted nothing regarding nature condemning anything. Are you mixing me up with someone else?

I have answered your main objection at least twice already. But I'll repeat...

(08-03-2015 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ...
I think you confuseth is with ought.

Wink
Quote:Is it? No. Not from a nihilistic perspective. It's neither good nor bad.

Ought it be? I choose to think so. Don't you?

08-03-2015, 11:32 AM
(08-03-2015 11:26 AM)soul Wrote:  ...
BTW God is not a creature but the creator...as theists understand it.

Looks like a creature to me.

[Image: creation2.jpg]