evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: evil
(08-03-2015 02:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ahem...mr soul man...

Google is your friend,

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact. The agnostic atheist may be contrasted with the agnostic theist, who believes that one or more deities exist but claims that the existence or nonexistence of such is unknown or cannot be known.[1][2][3]
The question is then if there is
no possibility of God -pure atheism
There is no provable God- agnostic atheism
how can you prove the above assertions true.

Is snarkyness and snobbery a necessary personality trait for atheist/agnostics?
You guys really are no fun. What do I expect from a concept that is responsible for the deaths of close to a billion people in the 20th and 21st century alone...more than all the ages of theism that preceded it. But thats just my insignificant opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 02:57 PM
(08-03-2015 02:24 PM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 01:08 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Prove it. Saying god is not located in time and space is just hand waving to get around the fact that it is nothing but make believe. Saying "god did it" when you get to something you don't understand is not an answer and doesn't actually explain anything.
First off there is no need for animosity....two folks having a chat about things...thats all.

No animosity; perhaps some frustration as I've heard all this SO many times before.

Quote:its just a conversation mate thats all...dont make it personal or your violating your own principle of tolerance.

I'm not making it personal but I'm curious what "priniple of tolerance" you think I have.

Quote:If I found a hand-carved rocking chair on the moon I wouldnt look for what process put it there but WHO.

You are bringing the conclusion into the premise by calling it "hand-carved". If I found that I'd look for a who as well. That's not even remotely like what I see when I look at the universe though.

Quote:
Quote:That's just hilarious. Christianity has been a huge roadblock to the sciences and medicine, it's idea of jurisprudence is might make right, property rights are nonexistent, and women are considered property.
You obviously have skipped the entire history of western civilization to make this hoot of an assertion. Again though...not the topic of this thread. (I noticed atheists debaters like to change the subject alot)

Sorry, but are the one who said that "The Christian faith expresses eternal truths..." and when I questioned that you brought up the examples. I was just following you down that rabbit hole.

If you seriously believe that religion supported the advancement of science or equal rights then you are the one with no clue about the history of western civilization. Look at the churches today that still hold that women must submit to men, can't hold positions within the church, etc.

Quote:
Quote:Yes. I think you'll find that most atheists are agnostic atheists.
You cannot be both....an atheist has settled the issue...there is no God. An agnostic says it has not been sufficiently proven.

That is a common set of definitions, especially among theists. There are other definitions. In my experience most atheists define atheism only as the lack of belief in any god claims. That includes anybody who denies that any god exists but is not restricted to that. Agnostic is defined as not claiming to know in contrast to gnostic which declares knowledge. An agnostic atheist is somebody with no belief in any god but who does not make the absolute claim that no god exists. An agnostic theist would believe that god exists but not claim to know with certainty.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-03-2015, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 03:08 PM by Anjele.)
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  

Google is your friend,

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact. The agnostic atheist may be contrasted with the agnostic theist, who believes that one or more deities exist but claims that the existence or nonexistence of such is unknown or cannot be known.[1][2][3]

You guys really are no fun. What do I expect from a concept that is responsible for the deaths of close to a billion people in the 20th and 21st century alone...more than all the ages of theism that preceded it. But thats just my insignificant opinion.

You know that you aren't being held captive, right? You can leave at any time. Your passive-aggressive shit and double-speak isn't really a picnic for us.

And, please enlighten me, how is it that you know what an atheist thinks? Do you think that all atheists/agnostics are of one mind? If that's what you think then you are quite mistaken.

And the door in here works both ways...you are free to go. There will be another here just like you in no time.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-03-2015, 03:03 PM
(08-03-2015 02:53 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

Google is your friend,

I'm sure you'll agree that having to explain this over and over and over and over and over gets a little tiresome.
Maybe one day the fuckwits will get it...

Then why have a forum? Do you just want to hear your echo...go stick your head in the loo....and start pontificating. Your atheist arguments arent any more original BTW...but maybe I thought a forum called "thinking" atheist would allow for others to "think" differently. Its the paradox of the narrow minded atheist who proclaims his freedom from dogmas and then proceeds to shut out any that dont accept his.
Really all this emotion snark and anger does not seem to befit the image the forum is trying to promote.
08-03-2015, 03:04 PM
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  how can you prove the above assertions true.

Theists are making the claim that god exists. They have the burden of proof. Until then I'm just waiting for evidence.

Quote: What do I expect from a concept that is responsible for the deaths of close to a billion people in the 20th and 21st century alone...more than all the ages of theism that preceded it. But thats just my insignificant opinion.

Talk about loving to change the subject.... can you name any instance of mass genocide done in the name of atheism? There have been many that were not done in the name of religion but that doesn't mean they were done in the name of anti-religion either.

08-03-2015, 03:06 PM
(08-03-2015 02:04 PM)soul Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 01:40 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  At any rate this is the god of the gaps arguement.
I don't understand how this thing works and I'm too stupid or lazy to search for a rational answer. Therefore I will attribute it to magic. Worked when I was a child and so it good enough for me now.
Here's the thing. Believe whatever nonsense you want but I'd suggest you keep it to yourself. Everyone here has heard this shit before and if I wanted to listen to a parrot I'd get one at the pet store.
Does anyone else feel embarrassed for people like this?
It blows my mind that grown ass people actually believe in magic.
Obviously you are one of the amateur atheists. Fling your poo monkey man...it bothers me not.

Amateur atheist? Well yes I suppose. I mean I don't make a living at atheism so I'm certainly not a professional. Smile
I've been an atheist for nearly 30 years so I'm pretty seasoned. I'm excellent at not believing in gods and I'm sure I could not believe in gods as well as any professional atheist. Perhaps I should try out for the NAL. The National Atheist League! Hmm. Does Canada have any teams?
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
08-03-2015, 03:09 PM
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  

Google is your friend,

You guys really are no fun. What do I expect from a concept that is responsible for the deaths of close to a billion people in the 20th and 21st century alone...more than all the ages of theism that preceded it. But thats just my idiotic opinion.
Fixed the little mistake for ya.
08-03-2015, 03:11 PM
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  ...

No such thing as 'pure' atheism. We're all impure.

To answer your question, one can't disprove the existence of gods or goddesses.

But for Gods and Goddesses... we use this:

[Image: 10919387_827362340655709_2110583305_n.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2015, 03:12 PM
(08-03-2015 03:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 02:57 PM)soul Wrote:  The question is then if there is

You know that you aren't being held captive, right? You can leave at any time. You passive-aggressive shit and double-speak isn't really a picnic for us.

And, please enlighten me, how is it that you know what an atheist thinks? Do you think that all atheists/agnostics are of one mind? If that's what you think then you are quite mistaken.

And the door in here works both ways...you are free to go. There will be another here just like you in no time.
As I said to mr druid...why have a public forum if you only want to hear folks agree with you?
[Image: 230px-michelangelo_caravaggio_065.jpg]
08-03-2015, 03:13 PM
(08-03-2015 03:06 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I'm excellent at not believing in gods and I'm sure I could not believe in gods as well as any professional atheist.

Events for the atheist olympics...

Mental Gymnastics
Fallacy Fencing
Downhill Apologetics

[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post