evil and God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2016, 08:42 PM
evil and God
Does the existence of evil negate the existence of God? Can they not coexist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes godisinspiteofevil's post
21-06-2016, 08:44 PM
RE: evil and God
How about if neither exist?

Welcome.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Interesting...how would the horrible events in the world be explained?
21-06-2016, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2016 09:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Like tsunamis ? Are they "evil" ?
Time to drop Bronze Age paradigms.
Define "god". Define "evil".

One does not even need "evil" to negate a god that exists.
As long as the god existed, non-existence was a part of the (larger) Reality in which the god must participate.
An existing god can't have created the larger Reality that it must be only a part, by definition. A god that is required to do anything, is no god.
A god that is an existing entity, and a defined being, is self-contradictory.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-06-2016, 10:06 PM
(21-06-2016 08:42 PM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Does the existence of evil negate the existence of God? Can they not coexist?

For the concept, that depends on how the god is defined.

Can an omnibenevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent god exist in world where 'evil' exists? By the definitions of the words, no. A god which knows all and can do all, and is all good, but refuses to stop all that is bad is definitionally self contradictory.

If the god is defined along the lines of Hellenic gods? Then yes; evil and god can completely coexist, because Hellenic gods were pricks at times and never pretended otherwise.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
21-06-2016, 10:11 PM
(21-06-2016 08:42 PM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Does the existence of evil negate the existence of God? Can they not coexist?

G-d creates evil. How does the existence of evil negate the existence of G-d?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-06-2016, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2016 10:25 PM by Free Thought.)
(21-06-2016 10:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

G-d creates evil. How does the existence of evil negate the existence of G-d?

In large swathes of western culture the deformed Christian bastardised all-good Jesus is the most prominent *cough* 'understanding' of god. Which creates the problem of how an all-good god can allow evil.

They don't like to think god does the evil, because god is perfectly good.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-06-2016, 10:21 PM
(21-06-2016 10:16 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 10:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  G-d creates evil. How does the existence of evil negate the existence of G-d?

In large swathes of western culture the deformed Christian bastardised all-good Jesus is the most prominent *cough* 'understanding' of god. Which creates to problem of how an all-good god can allow evil.

But G-d states very clearly that he creates evil. (Please don't make me look it up. I feel "meh" right now.)
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-06-2016, 10:24 PM
(21-06-2016 10:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 10:16 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  In large swathes of western culture the deformed Christian bastardised all-good Jesus is the most prominent *cough* 'understanding' of god. Which creates to problem of how an all-good god can allow evil.

But G-d states very clearly that he creates evil. (Please don't make me look it up. I feel "meh" right now.)

Isaiah 45:7, I believe. The problem here is that you are expecting the Christians to actually believe in their book.

[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
21-06-2016, 10:26 PM
(21-06-2016 10:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 10:16 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  In large swathes of western culture the deformed Christian bastardised all-good Jesus is the most prominent *cough* 'understanding' of god. Which creates to problem of how an all-good god can allow evil.

Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post