evil and God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2016, 10:50 AM
RE: evil and God
(22-06-2016 10:07 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 09:56 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Then feel free to strike the God part of the question and answer the "any person" part of the question.

Okay.

Quote:Why would we CARE if any person or any action is good or evil, moral or immoral?

We care about another person's actions because of the effects that they have on ourselves, other people and the environment around us.

Okay, I agree with this. Immoral and evil people (under most conceptions of those terms) are often noted for causing harm to others. Those others might include us, our friends, our family, or are communities, and even if they don't we might care about complete strangers in the abstract.

I'd also suggest adding that there is a predictive element here as well. If a person has demonstrated a strong tendency towards immoral behavior and has not shown significant signs of mitigating this tendency, then it is not unreasonable to believe that they likely will continue this trend into the future. We would thus be justified in being concerned, not only in the harm that they have already caused, but the harm that we can expect (to an imperfect degree of certainty) that they will cause.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
22-06-2016, 10:52 AM
(21-06-2016 08:42 PM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Does the existence of evil negate the existence of God? Can they not coexist?

No, existence of evil does not negate the existence of a god. It just negates the existence of a god who is worthy of worship.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-06-2016, 11:27 AM
(22-06-2016 08:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 07:58 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Would it not lead to reason that since God is outside of the created "natural" realm, that He has to be supernatural and therefore, not detectable by natural means?

Could it be possible that God's gift of free choice to man was poorly exercised by man; while God is divinely perfect man is only creaturely perfect capable of making poor choices?

How would one define morality without an objective source? How could we proclaim God is immoral when He may by working in spite of evil to bring about good?

What if God then is doing something about evil even restraining most of it?

LMAO. 4 1st Grade questions.
No to all 4.
Completely impossible.
There is no evidence that your special pleading argument ("outside the natural realm") has any validity, AT ALL. If a god *is*, then it's natural for it *to be*. There is no need or evidence for one AT ALL, It's a "made up" concept to answer questions for (stone age) people who NEED answers, and have no others.

If there is a god, why is there a 3 year old dying an agonizing death TODAY, a few floors below me, from cancer ?

"What if God then is doing something about evil even restraining most of it?" is the most laughable rationalization I've ever heard. If your stupid powerless god *intends* to stop evil, but can only stop some of it, it's not omnipotent. Do you idiots ever even think about the bullshit that spews from you brains ?

Sorry to hear about the horrible suffering the 3 year old is enduring. How can this suffering however, disprove the existence of God. Choices have consequences even to those not directly responsible for the poor choice.

I am not inferring God could NOT stop all evil, just that it is possible He is preventing much of it and only allowing it to remind humans we are created and under authority of the creator.
22-06-2016, 11:38 AM
(22-06-2016 11:27 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Sorry to hear about the horrible suffering the 3 year old is enduring. How can this suffering however, disprove the existence of God. Choices have consequences even to those not directly responsible for the poor choice.

Please explain this comment.

(22-06-2016 11:27 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  I am not inferring God could NOT stop all evil, just that it is possible He is preventing much of it and only allowing it to remind humans we are created and under authority of the creator.

Are you saying that a child dying of terminal cancer is a punishment from god?
For the child's sins? or possibly the sins of someone else?

Is that what you are saying?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
22-06-2016, 11:38 AM
(22-06-2016 11:27 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  I am not inferring God could NOT stop all evil, just that it is possible He is preventing much of it and only allowing it to remind humans we are created and under authority of the creator.

If that god exists then he's a sadistic monster who does not deserve respect, let alone praise or worship.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-06-2016, 11:51 AM
(22-06-2016 11:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 11:27 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Sorry to hear about the horrible suffering the 3 year old is enduring. How can this suffering however, disprove the existence of God. Choices have consequences even to those not directly responsible for the poor choice.

Please explain this comment.

If someone who knows that alcohol consumption in large quantities negatively impacts them yet consume large quantities anyway. They get in their car, drive home, and on the way hit another car and those in the car die from this wreck. The people in the car who was hit by the drunk did nothing wrong yet suffered from the consequences of the drunk. Similarly, man's poor choice in disobeying God has consequential effects, at the core of man's nature which has become corrupt. Would this not provide a reasonable answer to the evil and suffering on our world? God has judged evil in Christ and offers redemption to all who by faith trust in the work of Christ.
22-06-2016, 11:52 AM
(22-06-2016 11:27 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 08:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  LMAO. 4 1st Grade questions.
No to all 4.
Completely impossible.
There is no evidence that your special pleading argument ("outside the natural realm") has any validity, AT ALL. If a god *is*, then it's natural for it *to be*. There is no need or evidence for one AT ALL, It's a "made up" concept to answer questions for (stone age) people who NEED answers, and have no others.

If there is a god, why is there a 3 year old dying an agonizing death TODAY, a few floors below me, from cancer ?

"What if God then is doing something about evil even restraining most of it?" is the most laughable rationalization I've ever heard. If your stupid powerless god *intends* to stop evil, but can only stop some of it, it's not omnipotent. Do you idiots ever even think about the bullshit that spews from you brains ?

Sorry to hear about the horrible suffering the 3 year old is enduring. How can this suffering however, disprove the existence of God. Choices have consequences even to those not directly responsible for the poor choice.

I am not inferring God could NOT stop all evil, just that it is possible He is preventing much of it and only allowing it to remind humans we are created and under authority of the creator.

Remind us with suffering? That's so stupid, he could set up a big movie screen in the sky and explain it all to us without all of this pretense of hiding and behaving exactly like we would expect of something that doesn't exist.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
22-06-2016, 12:00 PM
(22-06-2016 06:51 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  Did God create evil or was it the misuse or deprivation of the good God created?
Who says God HAS to participate in this Reality; instead, could it be He chooses to?

Still missing the point I see.

There is no god. Something that doesn't exist can't create anything. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-06-2016, 12:04 PM
(22-06-2016 11:51 AM)godisinspiteofevil Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 11:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Please explain this comment.

If someone who knows that alcohol consumption in large quantities negatively impacts them yet consume large quantities anyway. They get in their car, drive home, and on the way hit another car and those in the car die from this wreck. The people in the car who was hit by the drunk did nothing wrong yet suffered from the consequences of the drunk. Similarly, man's poor choice in disobeying God has consequential effects, at the core of man's nature which has become corrupt. Would this not provide a reasonable answer to the evil and suffering on our world? God has judged evil in Christ and offers redemption to all who by faith trust in the work of Christ.

Except god (as laid out in the bible) was invented by people and doesn't exist.

Yes I'm taking the gnostic atheist line because religions were all started by people. Also, you're not going to convince me that a being who knows all, sees all and can do anything would resort to parlor tricks and requires worship.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-06-2016, 12:19 PM
(22-06-2016 11:52 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Remind us with suffering? That's so stupid, he could set up a big movie screen in the sky and explain it all to us without all of this pretense of hiding and behaving exactly like we would expect of something that doesn't exist.

Perhaps the greater good is not our happiness but knowledge of God. Since man is rebellious, God allows suffering to increase our dependency on Him. Therefore, the benefit of increased knowledge of God is far greater than suffering experienced.