evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2013, 09:01 AM
evolution
In a heated debate, a theist said that "God modified earth's enviroment and mutations in organisms from time to time to force organisms to envolve to what he wanted them to be. So even if evolution is correct, it will still prove that christianity is right."

What should I say to him?
(please forgive my spelling mistakes. I am not an american and I got Dysgraphia)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: evolution
Tell him he's wrong.

It proves that the Jews are right.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-08-2013, 09:39 AM
(20-08-2013 09:01 AM)bustead Wrote:  In a heated debate, a theist said that "God modified earth's enviroment and mutations in organisms from time to time to force organisms to envolve to what he wanted them to be. So even if evolution is correct, it will still prove that christianity is right."

(please forgive my spelling mistakes. I am not an american and I got Dysgraphia)

Ask to see the evidence that this occurred.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2013, 09:41 AM
(20-08-2013 09:01 AM)bustead Wrote:  In a heated debate, a theist said that "God modified earth's enviroment and mutations in organisms from time to time to force organisms to envolve to what he wanted them to be. So even if evolution is correct, it will still prove that christianity is right."

I doubt there is anything to say as they are basing statements out of belief and not evidence.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Wow that's an interesting theory. I'd like to know more about it. Is there any peer reviewed scientific papers in support of it?
20-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Mention the fact 90% of all species that ever lived, have reached evolutionary dead ends and become extinct as a result. If God was behind evolution, then he made a whole lot of mistakes and false starts.

Mention the dinosaurs... why would God spend 200 million years evolving them, only to wipe them out with an asteroid?

Also, if evolution is true (which it is), then there was no Garden of Eden, no Adam and Eve, no Forbidden Fruit, no talking snake and therefore no "original sin"... and ultimately no reason for a messiah at all.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
20-08-2013, 01:33 PM
(20-08-2013 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Wow that's an interesting theory. I'd like to know more about it. Is there any peer reviewed scientific papers in support of it?

Silly goose that's the bible! Duh. Over 2000 years old and still not disproved.

Boom.

Drinking Beverage

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2013, 01:40 PM
(20-08-2013 01:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Silly goose that's the bible! Duh. Over 2000 years old and still not disproved.

Boom.

Drinking Beverage
But the bible is a story about human moralities, its not a scientific explanation of materialism.

Science does science, theology does theology, they are different see.
20-08-2013, 02:09 PM
(20-08-2013 09:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Tell him he's wrong.

It proves that the Jews are right.

Drinking Beverage

I love how they ALWAYS make the jump to the Christian god.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
20-08-2013, 02:11 PM
(20-08-2013 01:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 01:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Silly goose that's the bible! Duh. Over 2000 years old and still not disproved.

Boom.

Drinking Beverage
But the bible is a story about human moralities, its not a scientific explanation of materialism.

Science does science, theology does theology, they are different see.

She had engaged her irony setting. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post