evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2013, 12:17 PM
RE: evolution
(20-08-2013 09:01 AM)bustead Wrote:  In a heated debate, a theist said that "God modified earth's enviroment and mutations in organisms from time to time to force organisms to envolve to what he wanted them to be. So even if evolution is correct, it will still prove that christianity is right."

What should I say to him?
(please forgive my spelling mistakes. I am not an american and I got Dysgraphia)

ask him to verify this with the bible.

I would love to just see what he comes up with since this is not a widely held belief in standard christianity.

Also how did he come to this conclusion without say many years of research and learning about gawd?

I can answer it already. He is guessing like a assTOPhat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 12:53 PM
regardless of the explaination behind it, it is great that this person accepts evolution.
22-08-2013, 07:23 PM
It surprises me the number of theists who believe evolution to be based on fallacy when it has more proof going for it than their own religion.
[+] 1 user Likes southernbelle's post
22-08-2013, 07:45 PM
(20-08-2013 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 01:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But the bible is a story about human moralities, its not a scientific explanation of materialism.

Science does science, theology does theology, they are different see.

She had engaged her irony setting. Drinking Beverage

Irony, sarcasm....whatever works. Drinking Beverage

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-08-2013, 09:01 AM
(22-08-2013 12:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  regardless of the explaination behind it, it is great that this person accepts evolution.

I hope that scientific knowledge is going to "displace" the stupid religious thoughts in their heads.
23-08-2013, 09:07 AM
(22-08-2013 07:23 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  It surprises me the number of theists who believe evolution to be based on fallacy when it has more proof going for it than their own religion.

While it still exists to some degree in science necessarily (that's what peer review is for), confirmation bias is a billion times stronger in theism.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
23-08-2013, 09:17 AM
There would be gaps. It's the same problem with "Ancient Astronaut theory." An outside influence beyond environmental pressures would seemingly produce leaps in mutation, which just aren't there. So what it comes down to is some outside agency influencing evolution to no differential degree beyond environmental pressures which violates Occam's razor and common sense.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-08-2013, 10:00 AM
(23-08-2013 09:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There would be gaps. It's the same problem with "Ancient Astronaut theory." An outside influence beyond environmental pressures would seemingly produce leaps in mutation, which just aren't there.

So what it comes down to is some outside agency influencing evolution to no differential degree beyond environmental pressures which violates Occam's razor and common sense.

But you can't prove that the gods didn't throw the big rock that smiteth the dinos.

Checkmate!

24-08-2013, 10:14 AM
(20-08-2013 09:01 AM)bustead Wrote:  In a heated debate, a theist said that "God modified earth's enviroment and mutations in organisms from time to time to force organisms to envolve to what he wanted them to be. So even if evolution is correct, it will still prove that christianity is right."

(please forgive my spelling mistakes. I am not an american and I got Dysgraphia)

I'll have to admit that my knowledge of christian theology is a bit rusty, but it seems to me that humans play an important, some might say "central" or "pivotal" roll in God's plan. We are kind of supposed to be the whole point, in fact so obsessed with us is he, that he seems to be in a constant state of worry about what we are doing with our naughty bits (BTW God, thanks for the jewels but would it really have killed you to stuff a bit more meat into the sausage? Good work on the wife though, spared no expense there eh Big Grin )

So what do christians think the first 13 something billion years was in aid of exactly?

It would be the equivalent of spending 10 years building the props & set (from the big bang to the formation of the solar system) then taking 5 years to interview & cast the actors (evolution of life on earth) just to produce a fucking 30 second youtube video!! (the 10,000 or so years of modern human history).
If that wasn't bad enough the video would get massively more "dislikes" then "likes" as the majority of the human race is sent to hell, and it would constantly be flagged as containing inappropriate content as a ruthlessly violent snuff film!

I mean no disrespect God. I do love the fried chicken...I really do...but seriously, fiddling for hundreds of millions of years with the dinosaurs to get it to me seems excessively wasteful. Perhaps some courses in time management are in order.

If we are as important to God's plan as christians suggest we are, then God really would have started everything right off with humans 6000 years ago. The fact that it didn't, is very telling.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Captain Jean Luc Picard

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean Luc Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
27-08-2013, 07:58 PM

God did not force anything to evolve. This cannot be found anywhere n the Bible. Palin and simple... evolution does not exist. It did not exist then, and it does not exist now. There is absolutely no proof of evolution. Rest assured, man did not form from a rock, a creature form the sea, or an ape- an no one has any proof of that.