evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2016, 08:29 PM
RE: evolution
(15-08-2016 08:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 02:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you want a book that briefly lays out the major evidence for human evolution (and some others) but remains a defense of religion, I often recommend The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief by Dr. Francis S. Collins, former head of the Human Genome Project and current head of the National Institutes of Health.

Or "Finding Darwin's God", Dr. Kenneth R. Miller, (a Christian professor of Biochemistry at Brown University).

Agreed. I actually prefer Dr. Miller's work/tone to that of Dr. Collins; however, because the latter is an evangelical (Miller is Catholic, so you have to deal with the "Catholics aren't really Christians" problem from other denominations) and was head of one of the most famous biology research projects of all time, I point neophytes to him. Also, not everyone knows how prestigious Brown University is, unfortunately-- people who don't know much about evolution tend not to know much about academia, either.

Dr. Miller has an excellent series of videos out there, explaining evolution.

Of all the authors, though, it's hard to beat Jerry Coyne, at the University of Chicago. His enthusiasm for the subject is contagious. But he's an atheist, or a "secular Jew", as he calls it, so they're not likely to listen to him, unfortunately, even though he's saying the same things about evolution/biology as the other two. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Makes me think of a joke: A Catholic, an Evangelical, and a Secular Jew walk into a bar called The Tangled Bank...

(Still working on the punchline.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-08-2016, 05:02 AM
(15-08-2016 08:32 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Makes me think of a joke: A Catholic, an Evangelical, and a Secular Jew walk into a bar called The Tangled Bank...

(Still working on the punchline.)

... and a Baptist walks out. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
16-08-2016, 05:18 AM
Quote:A Catholic, an Evangelical, and a Secular Jew walk into a bar called The Tangled Bank..

Two radical Muslims, wearing suicide vests, follow them inside and immediately detonate themselves, blowing the bar to pieces.

Two atheists, watching from across the street, shake their heads in disgust, and go about their business...
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
16-08-2016, 12:56 PM
(16-08-2016 05:18 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:A Catholic, an Evangelical, and a Secular Jew walk into a bar called The Tangled Bank..

Two radical Muslims, wearing suicide vests, follow them inside and immediately detonate themselves, blowing the bar to pieces.

Two atheists, watching from across the street, shake their heads in disgust, and go about their business...

Best commercial ever made:

[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2016, 02:47 PM
(14-08-2016 02:47 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I want to know how much evidence there is for it. people say there's an overwhelming amount of evidence but all I ever hear is the same things over and over again.

Well give us something to start with GA.

What evidence would you require? We can supple the evidence all you need to supple is the questions. The burden of proof is on our end since we are the ones the have the claim.

Understanding evolution will not remove your god belief. There are plenty of believers the understand the evolutionary process.

So ask away.

Want to know how it applies to modern medicine?
What to see how selective breeding can create new species no problem?
What to see fossils found in the geographical record? Got it right here.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
19-08-2016, 02:34 AM
(14-08-2016 02:35 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I still believe in god but I want to know if you made a book with all the evidence for evolution how many pages would that book be? I kind of want to believe in evolution but I think there's evidence for god as well

Evolution does not refute God's existence.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...kins+Wrong
19-08-2016, 03:23 AM
(19-08-2016 02:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-08-2016 02:35 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  I still believe in god but I want to know if you made a book with all the evidence for evolution how many pages would that book be? I kind of want to believe in evolution but I think there's evidence for god as well

...only if he (or anyone on his/her behalf) claims to have created everything as it is

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-08-2016, 04:07 AM
There are many religious folk that accept evolution. You don't need to see it as a threat.
19-08-2016, 04:32 AM
(19-08-2016 02:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Evolution doesn't CARE about God's existence.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user