evolution of human sexual perceptions?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Wink evolution of human sexual perceptions?
I while a go I read an article based on a study that intended to explain why guys are typically more attracted towards women with a more..voluminous Wink posterior and the reason for their desire to always, well..grab it? from an evolutionary point of you. I don't remember who wrote this article and I don't know how accurate it is, but I found it interesting.

The article explained that for primitive humans food wasn't always abundant and therefore most humans were quite slender. For this reason, when males wanted to mate, they would grab a female's posterior to check to see if she had enough body fat to maintain a pregnancy and give birth to healthy offspring. Offspring from females with more body fat typically had more body fat themselves, and therefore were healthier and had more of a chance to survive, which was important considering the incredibly high infant mortality for early humans. This makes sense since biologically the sole purpose of an organism is to pass down its genetic makeup.

However, what puzzles me is why are modern human males attracted more to the anorexic-looking-model sort of female, rather than one with more body fat. If our sole purpose is to mate and pass down our genes, it would only make sense biologically to desire to mate with the fleshier of the two females.

I have my own theory as to why that is, but I'd like to your thoughts first. I know this isn't really religion related, but I figured most people on here are science-oriented, so it would be something interesting to discuss.
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2010, 09:17 AM

RE: evolution of human sexual perceptions?
Religion related? Please half the threads here have nothing to do with religion. ^_^

Here's my hypothesis:

Humanity is attracted to whatever appearance is considered to be 'healthy' at the time.

In an era where general lack of sustenance was the norm, finding a full figured mate would be unbelievably fortunate. Obviously, it follows that if they physically are healthy in appearance, then their lifestyle is conducive to their health; i.e. they get enough to eat etc. And thus would generate healthier offspring.

Now, let's turn the tables.

In an era where general lack of sustenance is not the norm, finding a full figured mate would be quite common; so a different requirement is needed in order to help identify a desirable mate. Enter, physique. As anyone is sure to know, having a life of leisure can readily lead to a little bit too much fullness, however not everyone has the time and energy to go out and actively maintain their physical shape. Thus encountering someone who is healthy looking, i.e. they're not obese blobs, would be very desirable. As that line of thought follows, their lifestyle is conducive to their physical form.

In conclusion, it comes down to whatever appearance is taken to be healthy at the time.
15-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I personally don't know if that's the case, I think the issue here is a change in the function of sex rather than the weight of the women. Like you said, heavier women were more sought after in order to ensure the survival of the species, but now sex isn't for reproduction it is for pleasure. Because of this change in the functionality of sex the ability to pick and choose partners is made more readily available.

The reason I believe it is this is because, despite the media pursuit of skinny poster girls, you still get people with "fat fetishes" and people who date girls of moderate weight. Certainly the poster girls are attractive in their own respect, but we are only open to this perception because of media pressure, just look at a tabloid magazine bashing celebrities for putting on weight, even if it puts that celebrity into a healthier place than where they were when they were "skinny" (read as: malnourished).

Not to mention that women are far more sexualized now than they ever have been before. This makes it a lot easier to install the idea of skinny women being more beautiful since they are the ones that get on billboards and ads while half-naked, not even moderately sized women end up in this sort of position, at least not usually or nearly as often. This, I feel, is desensitizing, because young impressionable youth get to see these images and not, "real-women" (I use this term because even the sexiest every day girls who could be considered skinny aren't as skinny or "perfect" as the ad girls).

Personally I wouldn't date an ad girl for her physique, I don't find it aesthetically pleasing as a girl with some meat on her bones, mind you I'm not a chubby chaser or some other term, I just like my women to have a little more substance... Although it makes more emphasis on personality for those who are seeking real relationships, which is beneficial.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2010, 11:04 AM

@Green

This is why I followed with:

"In an era where general lack of sustenance is not the norm, finding a full figured mate would be quite common; so a different requirement is needed in order to help identify a desirable mate. Enter, physique. As anyone is sure to know, having a life of leisure can readily lead to a little bit too much fullness, however not everyone has the time and energy to go out and actively maintain their physical shape. Thus encountering someone who is healthy looking, i.e. they're not obese blobs, would be very desirable. As that line of thought follows, their lifestyle is conducive to their physical form.

In conclusion, it comes down to whatever appearance is taken to be healthy at the time."
16-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Green and Ceryle summed it up for me.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply