ex-christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 09:25 PM
ex-christian
Ok, so I am super new at this forum thing in general.
I am, what I call, and ex-christian. I was undoubtedly a victim of Gospel Coersive Persuasion. I used to lie in bed and cry over what a faker I was. I just couldn't believe it, no matter how much I tried. Looking at my life you would have never known that I had a doubt. There was so much guilt and fear surrounding every question I had, and even when someone would 'answer' a question I had, it was only to quiet me and guilt me, for my lack of faith. I am ashamed of the things that I taught, and the way that I judged others, all while never fully agreeing with the doctrine. I used to be what, Im sure, everyone here hates.
Please show me mercy for that.
About 4 years ago, while still in a church that is nothing short of a cult, I began to do my own research. It was against everything I was taught to read the things I was reading and look at the evidence I was seeing, but it was something I couldn't stop. Sadly it was all in secret for the first year. When I finally had the courage to leave the church and break off the my engagement to get married. (NOTE:I was only 18 years old and I was matched with this man by my leaders and pastors.)
Its been 3 years since I left the church and I have had a lot of emotional damage and struggles to go through, from the things I experienced. My quest for the truth brought me to the same conclusion as every one here ...the only logical one. Atheism.
I admitted it for the first time to my boyfriend about a month ago, and he said, "I kinda always knew that. I'm glad you're embracing your truth." If I had to label him, I would say he is Agnostic.
Also, I live in East Texas. DEEP BIBLE BELT. My mother is a devout evangelical, and my step-father is a missionary.
I am making a move to MA next month (I CANT WAIT), but I guess in the mean-time I am looking for a little support and some like minded people. Sadly, even though the EVIDENCE backs athiesm, Im still cornered in religious arguements and debates, on a weekly basis.

Thanks.

-Sara
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:35 PM
RE: ex-christian
Moved to Intro's.

And welcome to the forum Sara Smile.

I hope you find what you are look for here but as you've said that you're looking for like minded people and support I'm sure you will.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Welcome, Sara!

You'll find that you are in no way alone here. I, for one, deeply sympathize with your shame over teaching others lies you didn't really believe yourself and judging them. I did the same things when I was on fire for Jesus. I can't tell you how many times I prayed for God to take away my unbelief or how long I searched for a way to hear his voice. Eventually, your reason just catches up with you.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to be honest with yourself, respect others, and actually BELIEVE what you say you believe? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
11-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Glad you found us, Sara. Welcome!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Welcome to the forum.

You will find Massachusetts to be quite a bit friendlier to your atheism than Texas was.
It is quite diverse here, and the mood is more one of tolerance for various lifestyles.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Welcome Smile
12-09-2012, 03:08 AM
I tried really hard to make my self believe but I couldn't. Either

Welcome !!!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
12-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
12-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Welcome sara

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]