facepalm moment with family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2015, 10:57 AM
facepalm moment with family
My brother told me god will not prove himself to me because I don't believe in God on Facebook. Several of my other relatives gave their arguments and it was all just gotta have faith answers. When I gave my reasons why I left the faith it was as if i didn't say anything at all. I was so treated like I'm the crazy one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: facepalm moment with family
I read a quote once that said being an atheist in a family of believers is like being the designated driver in a car full of drunks. Wink It is not easy dealing with religious family over the holidays, so I can totally relate. I've just started ignoring it or changing the subject. Getting into it with people who believe in magic is like arguing for hours about whether or not leprechauns exist. Unfortunately, some people are happy staying in delusion. I just try and think of it that way instead of arguing with them because it just ends in fights and hurt feelings.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
25-12-2015, 11:04 AM
They can't hear you because if they did it would mean they have to redo their world view...

You can't expect that to happen in one conversation, and especially not in front of each other.

With any luck you have planted a few little seeds of doubt... gotta let them germinate undisturbed now.

People don't change what has been the foundation of their life just like that. They defend themselves instead. But, thoughts will creep in...

I hope you had a good holiday anyway Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-12-2015, 11:23 AM
It's just frustrating because I felt so alone and family is supposed to be your support structure. I try to talk to my wife about it but I can only talk to her about it in spurts. Because she starts to get upset when I bring up my unbeleif. Fortunately most of my family lives in Alabama and I live in Austin TX. I probably need to start going to the athiest experience after show meet up to get some support.
[+] 2 users Like jlparris's post
25-12-2015, 11:25 AM
(25-12-2015 11:23 AM)jlparris Wrote:  It's just frustrating because I felt so alone and family is supposed to be your support structure. I try to talk to my wife about it but I can only talk to her about it in spurts. Because she starts to get upset when I bring up my unbeleif. Fortunately most of my family lives in Alabama and I live in Austin TX. I probably need to start going to the athiest experience after show meet up to get some support.

As soon as I read Austin TX I was actually going to say you should go check them outLaugh out load It would be a grand idea I think.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
25-12-2015, 11:42 AM
(25-12-2015 11:23 AM)jlparris Wrote:  It's just frustrating because I felt so alone and family is supposed to be your support structure. I try to talk to my wife about it but I can only talk to her about it in spurts. Because she starts to get upset when I bring up my unbeleif. Fortunately most of my family lives in Alabama and I live in Austin TX. I probably need to start going to the athiest experience after show meet up to get some support.

Good idea, but you don't need to wait for the aftershow.
They have a live audience where you can watch the show first. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
25-12-2015, 11:45 AM
(25-12-2015 10:57 AM)jlparris Wrote:  My brother told me god will not prove himself to me because I don't believe in God

Has God prove himself to anyone? Don't feel left out, even those who firmly believe, God hasn't done much to provide any evidence of his existence. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, we would talk about the "science of God" rather than "faith in God".

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
25-12-2015, 09:09 PM
You would love my brother in law. Talk about deluded! He claims he gets visions and dreams from god. When he talks about his dreams from god he sounds really silly. He always talks about the end times. It's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. I feel ya.
25-12-2015, 10:37 PM
From what I understand, Austin has a tremendous atheist community. The Atheist Experience show is just part of it. Why don't you check out the Atheist Community of Austin website? My family is almost entirely Christian too, so I understand.
26-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Oh yeah he claimed to have seen healing miracles and demons. Talk about delusional. He's an example of how religion poisons the mind. He's a fundementalist charasmatic christian it's very annoying. Most of my relatives is strict southern baptist.