facepalm moment
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
10-07-2012, 01:06 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 12:37 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 11:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your unit may not be religious, but it sounds like the soldiers are.
I wouldn't call them religious. They believe in Yahweh, but they don't do shit with their belief. They don't go to church, they don't observe the Shabbath, etc. except for the girls I mentioned before.
Well, atheists don't talk about the power of possession or the meaning of doves. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 12:37 PM)Vlad Wrote:  I wouldn't call them religious. They believe in Yahweh, but they don't do shit with their belief. They don't go to church, they don't observe the Shabbath, etc. except for the girls I mentioned before.
Well, atheists don't talk about the power of possession or the meaning of doves. Dodgy

Well yeah, but they aren't following Judaism because... well, the fuck I know, they're hypocrites. I they don't know two shits about their own religion. So they're not really religious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post
10-07-2012, 02:07 PM
RE: facepalm moment
I'm a programmer in army intelligence, and actually about 80% if the people I work with are atheists, and of the remaining 20%, most of them are believers that live completely secular life, which in my opinion is the most screwed up position ever.
Even the colonel who talked about the kabbalah doesnt wear a yarmulke... Like most Israelis I guess he's fascinated by the ocult.

These people who claim they believe but don't live according to the bible baffle me!
I mean, you believe the bible is the word of god, and you just shrug at it and say no thanks?! how does that work?

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes avrahams1's post
10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 12:37 PM)Vlad Wrote:  I wouldn't call them religious. They believe in Yahweh, but they don't do shit with their belief. They don't go to church, they don't observe the Shabbath, etc. except for the girls I mentioned before.
Well, atheists don't talk about the power of possession or the meaning of doves. Dodgy

You don't get it- because jewsaism is both a culture and a belief system, people take them both as a package deal.
I myself am an atheist jew.
Much like most christians, most believing jews never read a word of the bible other than for (obligatory) finals, let alone reading it critically.
They'll claim its the true inerrant word of god, but they wouldn't be able to hold to any scrutiny.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 01:46 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, atheists don't talk about the power of possession or the meaning of doves. Dodgy

Well yeah, but they aren't following Judaism because... well, the fuck I know, they're hypocrites. I they don't know two shits about their own religion. So they're not really religious.
Maybe not, but they're also not really rational. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 08:39 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 02:38 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, atheists don't talk about the power of possession or the meaning of doves. Dodgy

You don't get it- because jewsaism is both a culture and a belief system, people take them both as a package deal.
I myself am an atheist jew.
Much like most christians, most believing jews never read a word of the bible other than for (obligatory) finals, let alone reading it critically.
They'll claim its the true inerrant word of god, but they wouldn't be able to hold to any scrutiny.
I don't get what? They are clearly superstitious, ignorant, and irrational.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 02:07 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  I'm a programmer in army intelligence, and actually about 80% if the people I work with are atheists, and of the remaining 20%, most of them are believers that live completely secular life, which in my opinion is the most screwed up position ever.
Even the colonel who talked about the kabbalah doesnt wear a yarmulke... Like most Israelis I guess he's fascinated by the ocult.

These people who claim they believe but don't live according to the bible baffle me!
I mean, you believe the bible is the word of god, and you just shrug at it and say no thanks?! how does that work?
They claim to believe what? In a god? They are clearly indicating they do not believe in the Bible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 02:07 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  I mean, you believe the bible is the word of god, and you just shrug at it and say no thanks?! how does that work?

Cognitive dissonance and compartmentalization are useful psychological tools. The trick is to realize they are just psychological tools. Most don't.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 08:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 02:07 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  I mean, you believe the bible is the word of god, and you just shrug at it and say no thanks?! how does that work?

Cognitive dissonance and compartmentalization are useful psychological tools. The trick is to realize they are just psychological tools. Most don't.
Exactly, was looking for that term- cognitive dissonance.
Same reason they don't kill gays and atheists.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 11:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: facepalm moment
(10-07-2012 10:58 PM)avrahams1 Wrote:  Same reason they don't kill gays and atheists.

Well that, coupled with the fact that most gays can at least kick their fucking ass. Atheists, in general, just ain't as buff as the gays.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: