facepalm-moments for freelancers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Wink facepalm-moments for freelancers
So I am freelancer since we came back to Romania.
And I find my clients on an onlineplatform, which I will not advertise for.

So two things happen. You as a contractor make a profile and the clients make profiles too. The clients post jobs and what they wanna pay and if you like something you apply for it.

So of course, I am constantly looking for new contracts, and I 90% of my time doing so, I spend wtf-ing and face palming...

I would like to share a few of those wtf moments with you.
Just so you have that in mind, when a client posts a job with a certain pay this includes a fee, the platform charges. This fee is 15%, Say the client wants to pay $70 you will receive $63 and the rest is the fee the client pays to odesk.

Ok so now let's have a look at some job postings:

Quote: we are looking for a new company name happy to pay for the name we us we
buy then sell recycled mobile phones an want a stand above the crowd
that says what we do our website is being redeveloped current name
http://www.wonga4phones.com we very much liked are name but for resons we have
to change

Estimated budged: $9
Quote: I am looking for a high quality article writer to write ORIGINAL
articles. At least 500 Words per article. The topics are for travel. The
Articles MUST BE unique with PERFECT English Grammar. No Copied or Spun
Content Will be accepted. I should have absolutely copyright for the
articles, you are not allowed to reuse or spin the articles for other
purpose after I paid to you. NO UPFRONT PAYMENT WILL BE MADE.
Quote: I have this problem when placing calls

[Nov 6 09:05:44] WARNING[2759]: chan_sip.c:1948 retrans_pkt: Maximum retries exceeded on transmission blablablablabla@123.123.1.12for seqno 102 (Critical Response)
[Nov 6 09:05:44] WARNING[2759]: chan_sip.c:1972 retrans_pkt: Hanging up call blablablablabla@123.123.1.12 - no reply to our critical packet

hence the call is dropped a few seconds after call placed. Need someone to look at it right away. Eastern Time.
Quote: Hi,

I Small project for new contractor for good feedback.

I will pay 0.01 cent to each person who tweet my post on Twitter

You just have to do simple three step and tweet my post on Twitter.

1) Login into your twitter account.

2) Share my tweet which i will give you.

3) Just Send me the proof.

If you are agree with the price apply with this price. if you do not
agree do not apply. i will hire bulk of price and tweet my status on
twitter

Thank

Happy Bid
Quote: I need urgently 20 USA Facebook profile USER NAME & PASSWORD. QUICK
PAYMENT OF 5 USD. For proof please attach screen shots of your profile.
Quote: I need a translation
Quote: Hi,

I need forum content creators. I'm have started a new Motorcycle Forum and I need to get it filled with posts.

I'm looking for 100 new posts and I will pay $5 for every 50 posts.

Thanks.
Rob.
Quote: i want a forum poster who are expert to post in forum,can done social bookmar,backlink etc.
if you are expert BID here.
My website name is www.hiswebsite.com
Thanks
Quote: I Need 1 Erotica Short Stories. between 2000-3000 words

I can choose you theme for the story, but you can let me know what you are interested in.

Payment 20$

I will own rights to the story, and will check them to make sure passing the copyscape

Please send your sample (doesn't need to be adult)

Native speaker only, please
I am going to add more when I find them. Like in the past I saw a posting that someone needed someone to write a childrensbook but there had to be certain messages in there (but not moral or so, it was kinda like brain washing the children, that read the story, into something).
Or posts that were like please translate my website perfectly from Italian into Russian, I pay 1 Dollar per hour and I only want Indian people to work for me...

I also had a customer once who posted a job for translation, but what she had me do was research stuff and build her a file of some shit. And as that took a while, because I did not know what is important for her project (she did not care to give me that info) she refused to pay me and said that I wasted her time... the fuck?

Or the guy who hired me for a translation for his iphone-app. I am always communicating. When I am not sure or so. So I asked about certain things, I also asked if there is a deadline. He said there is no deadline but he never answered on anything else. So I did the translation to my best knowledge and then got a bad rating on my profile with the comment that I work slow and sloppy...
Just to mention, apart from that guy, I only have top ratings on my profile, so that was some brainfucking going on.

What are your experiences, if you care to share

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
28-11-2012, 02:58 PM
RE: facepalm-moments for freelancers
Yeah, I have that problem when I look for translation work. "Please translate into perfect English! I pay $1/hour!" Lol no.

I got a stupid negative like that once, but fuck 'em. If the rest of your ratings are good, people who aren't morons will realize the contractor was the stupid one.
28-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I have hired people from hiremymom.com The last lady has been working steadily for me for 4 years now and I am quite happy, as is she. Maybe you need to try that site, it looked to me like most things there were legit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Well I am on odesk and it's ok, you just need to look. A lot of clients that post there are from a first world country and are delusional enough, that they think they will get top quality work for a low price out of a third world country.
Like amyb said, 1$/hour but please top quality. Like "I will only hire people from bangladesh, but I need a translation from spanish into Latin, no tools it has to be a human translation. Please be native in Latin!" That is the kind of stuff I just face palm over.
Need an article write, need 50 articles of 5000 words each, i will pay 50$... I got frigging offers like that and of course I am not working like that.

But I will check your site, Dom, to see how it is. I like mine(odesk.com) because they take care of the money issues, all I have to do is transfer it to my bank account.

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
29-11-2012, 02:39 PM
^Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. I am on odesk and elance. The problem is that some contractors are there to hire people from countries where $1 USD/hour is good, and that's not very good for the rest of us (or the economies where the rest of us live).

But I have gotten decent work there, and sometimes even steady work, though the main translating place I do stuff for is one I found through craigslist, but it's sort of local.

The main things I do are German>English translation (usually dental/medical/financial) and illustration. The illustration and graphic design listings are also a hoot, like "draw a really intricate photorealistic portrait and mail it to me and get it done tonight and I will pay you $5 total. i'll only consider people with an extensive portfolio and a degree in art." lol. no.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
29-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I know what you are talking amyb.
I do translations, too. Mainly article writing right now, though.

The frigging best thing I recently saw as a job offer was a guy who had posted like 5 different things and somehow I stumbled over all of them. So he basically owns an adult website and he wanted a personal assitant to take care of emails and such stuff. And he offered like 1 cent per hour!!!! And he was like, yeah if you are new here and you want a good reputation you can apply, I will not pay more than 1 cent per hour....
Like you know, that's not even possible! 1 cent! Seriously???

01-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Ooo, yup! That site looks frustrating. This is a joke.

Photographer - Tourist locations

Fixed-Price – Est. Budget: $50.00 Posted Nov. 30 2012A candidate MUST be based in one of the following cities: Barcelona Paris Rome Berlin Buenos Aires Lisbon Amsterdam Granada Valencia Seville Toledo New York Is required to take original photographs and videos of tourist attractions within those locations. The task will involve the following for 5 popular tourist landmarks: - Taking of 20-30 original natural pictures - Filming five separate 1 minute clips of each landmark Additionally: - Approximately 50 original pictures of the city and i...

That budget wouldn't even cover travel to acquire the desired photos in these cities! lol.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
01-12-2012, 01:28 AM
(27-11-2012 10:21 AM)Leela Wrote:  ... which I will not advertise for.
... pays to odesk.

You were saying...?

Quote:
Need someone to look at it right away. Eastern Time. Laughat

'right away' being different at GMT.

Loved that.

01-12-2012, 06:31 AM
yeah DLJ I figured if I am not the onlyone saying where I find these ads, it is ok Big Grin

01-12-2012, 06:48 AM
(01-12-2012 06:31 AM)Leela Wrote:  yeah DLJ I figured if I am not the onlyone saying where I find these ads, it is ok Big Grin

Hey, it worries me not.

Btw, thanks for introducing me to a source of cheap labour.

Also, btw, btw, I'm doing a PhD. Can you please do it for me... 50 bucks?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post