facing religon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 08:03 PM
facing religon
I know that all of you have had some similar experience to mine. I will admit that you probably won't have an experience like mine, which I will explain later. here's where it is similar. I have a family that goes to breakfast after church. a few times they come and pick me up to join. every single time they thank god for the food someone else raised, bred, slaughtered, and cooked for them. after a while of talking about unrelated topics about life in general, they bring religion up. after a while, you start slowly debating. they ask questions like, "Why are you an atheist?" or, "I am not trying to get you to believe but look at it this way. Why are you still an atheist?" We've all been there right? it irks me.
here's where it gets complicated. I know that you have never had an experience like this. My mom asked if I believed in the demons and devil. I told her, "If I don't believe in god, what makes you think I believe in the devil?" Here's where I'm getting at. I have these "Friends" (Not real) that I talk to. I know it's abnormal and all. My sister has had seizures lately. since these friends are normally cartoon, my family doesn't let me watch My Little Pony or the original sonic, particularly my sister.
I was watching Sonic when my sister came out (we only have one tv) and snatched the remote from me. we got into a whole argument about the tv. This is where she starts complaining about "them". She said that my imagination feeds the demons and the demons cause her seizures. She says that she feels someone touch her at night as she sleeps. She blames the demons for her insomnia. My mom told her that when this stuff happens to scream "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" really loud and proud. I kinda felt like making a joke, but didn't, about it. i wanted to hold my 2 middle fingers to form an upside down cross and scream "THE POWER OF SATIN FUCKS YOU!" but I never did.
An help. Seth? Anyone? Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: facing religon
What kind of "friends" (not real) do you talk to? How do you talk to them if they are not real? How old are you? How long have you been atheist?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm not really sure where My Little Pony and Sonic come into the picture. Do your parents think that is also some sort of link to demons, or did you add that just to explain how the conversation started with your sister.
What kind of advice are you looking for? Do you have any specific questions? Are you wanting advice on how to deal with your family's religion and their fear of demons? Are you asking for advice about your "friends"?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
11-11-2013, 03:00 AM
How old are you man? I suppose you're still a teen, seeing as you're facing religious problems with your family. Do PM me, we might be going through similar struggles!

Quote:after a while, you start slowly debating. they ask questions like, "Why are you an atheist?" or, "I am not trying to get you to believe but look at it this way. Why are you still an atheist?" We've all been there right? it irks me.

I think you need to remind them that coming out wasn't easy and that your deconversion did not happen 'overnight', that it was thought through (I suppose, I don't know much about you).

Quote:My mom asked if I believed in the demons and devil. I told her, "If I don't believe in god, what makes you think I believe in the devil?"

Well, atheism is a lack of belief in a god(s), so I guess one can be an atheist and still believe in irrational things, besides god. Seeing as how many atheists become atheists in a search for truth and using critical thinking, I don't think they would. Personally, I don't think believing in invisible beings is much further away than believing in a god.

I suppose she asks this just to attack your atheism, or she might actually be curious (you'll be able to tell from tone of voice etc).

Quote:I have these "Friends" (Not real) that I talk to. I know it's abnormal and all.

Have you had it since you were a kid? I think it might be a withdrawal symptom of religion. It's just a hunch, don't take my word as gospel (ba dum crash).

Quote:My mom told her that when this stuff happens to scream "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" really loud and proud. I kinda felt like making a joke, but didn't, about it. i wanted to hold my 2 middle fingers to form an upside down cross and scream "THE POWER OF SATIN FUCKS YOU!" but I never did.

That would be hilarious! Though in all honesty, don't trivialise their views by saying 'you believe a sky daddy just wished us into existence' or something to that extent. It only creates more strife. If they are trivialising your views by saying 'so we just exploded into existence' or 'we came from monkeys', do not retaliate. I suggest sitting down with them and asking them to respect your views. That's what I did with my dad.

Hope it goes fine for you, again, do PM me, I'd love to chat.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix