father in law (YEC)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 08:15 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: father in law (YEC)
Where did goodwithoutgod put his resource threads ?
His complete destruction of the flood nonsense is the best we have.
Can someone link to it here, please ? (and put a link to it in the "Atheist-Agnostic Resource Library" thread).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 08:18 AM
(06-01-2015 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Where did goodwithoutgod put his resource threads ?
Can someone link to it here, please ? (and put a link to it in the "Atheist-Agnostic Resource Library" thread).

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
(06-01-2015 08:18 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Where did goodwithoutgod put his resource threads ?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

Thanks. See post #36.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Your father-in-law is deeply rooted in confirmation bias, I had a (former) friend that was just like this. He even used the ringwoodite discovery as "proof" of the biblical flood.

Earth's 'Underground Ocean': No remnant of the Flood

Before he started being an ass for Jesus, we had a similar exchange. It might be interesting what excuse he would give for a god that drowns everyone because they exercise the free will that he gave them.

I surmised that this former friend's intelligence had been hijacked by religion, he grew up in it, was thoroughly indoctrinated in it, and now does nothing but surf apologist websites that give incomplete answers to scientific discoveries that refute the bible.

When he sent me a stupid Josh McDowell video where he proclaims that the bible has a coherent doctrine that survived for thousands of years and it's a "miracle". I sent him a link about what an incomplete and incoherent mess it was trying to pull any meaning from such an ancient text.

He simply dismissed it as "secular" bible scholars. You see, anything that conflicts with their narrow world view can be dismissed as "secular" or "evolutionists". After he started contacting my family on Facebook and was saying derogatory things about me and my family, I told him GTFO and he was no longer a friend of mine.

Anyone who believes the myth of Genesis is literal has a serious disconnect with reality, I suspect there are some deep-seated psychological issues at work somewhere, it certainly seemed to be the case with my former friend.

Unfortunately, this guy is related by marriage, I think you're going to have to tell him to piss off at some point.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-01-2015, 09:22 AM
(05-01-2015 10:20 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  (Him)Being an Atheist is also easy. YOU get to decide when there's enough evidence and YOU get to choose whether that evidence is of value.

Of course you get to decide what evidence is enough and what evidence is of value. Who else could decide for you? Even he is arguing that he's looked at the evidence and decided for himself.

Quote:When you refuse to look at archaeological, Biblical, or secular scientific evidence, then you've adjusted the playing field to give you the answer you desire.

Irony is so delicious.

Quote:(1) The lack of fossils is certainly understandable when we consider how rare it is for a fossil to form.  Also, consider the fact that the western plains of the United States were once full of buffalo but we never find buffalo fossils there. Kangaroos probably migrated slowly and only spent a few generations in one place before they arrived in a friendly environment. 

The first sentence explains the second. Fossils form only under specific conditions and nobody has ever claimed that the record is complete and that every species is represented. We do have fossils of earlier species that lead up to the modern animals.

Kangaroos and Koalas have specific dietary and climate requirements. To think they could survive for generations migrating slowly from the middle east to Australia is just a denial of reality.

Quote:(2) OR they could have hopped over on land bridges that are now long since gone just as Russia and Alaska were connected by a land bridge that scientists (the atheists god) called Bernicia long ago. 

Nice to see he admits that placing complete trust in any source is a mistake. The scientists believe that there was a land bridge between Russia and Alaska because there is evidence for it. There is no evidence for any land bridges to Australia, at least nothing recent enough to have allowed animals to migrate to and from the ark. You don't get to just make up things that might explain something you want to be true and then assume they are rational to believe.

Quote:(3) OR it's also possible that Kangaroos lived everywhere but became extinct everywhere except Australia, over time, because of weather, and or predators. 

In which case we'd have fossils of kangaroos, or earlier but related species, that would provide evidence for that. Hypothesizing is great, but you then have to actually look to see if there is ANY evidence to support it.

Quote:(4) Or maybe they were taken to Australia in boats. Kings in ancient times loved to have exotic animals for pets. There are so many explanations.

Again, there'd be evidence of kangaroos elsewhere if they had originated elsewhere. There isn't. These aren't 'explanations', they are conjectures without any supporting evidence.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens (Yes, I know, just another 'atheist god')

Quote:You're mind is just too closed to think of any reason other than one that supports your beliefs.

There's that irony again.

There is just SO much wrong in his claims and he changes subjects so rapidly that it is impossible to deal with anything. It'd be nice if you could get him to focus on any single question and really examine the evidence to see if it is possible to at least get him to understand that it can be possible to come to a different conclusion than he does.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-01-2015, 03:11 PM
(06-01-2015 08:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 08:18 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

Thanks. See post #36.

This is what actually brought me to this site in the first place and already I have forgot about it.
06-01-2015, 03:27 PM
(06-01-2015 03:11 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 08:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thanks. See post #36.

This is what actually brought me to this site in the first place and already I have forgot about it.

Tell him to read the 11th Tablet of Gilgamesh. Then ask him what are the odds the VERY SAME story, with the VERY SAME elements would have come from Babylon BEFORE the date he gives. http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
(06-01-2015 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:11 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  This is what actually brought me to this site in the first place and already I have forgot about it.

Tell him to read the 11th Tablet of Gilgamesh. Then ask him what are the odds the VERY SAME story, with the VERY SAME elements would have come from Babylon BEFORE the date he gives. http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/

I just emailed him using gilgamesh as an example before you posted this.
06-01-2015, 05:35 PM
(06-01-2015 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Tell him to read the 11th Tablet of Gilgamesh. Then ask him what are the odds the VERY SAME story, with the VERY SAME elements would have come from Babylon BEFORE the date he gives. http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso...gilgamesh/

Satan wrote it to deceive you!
Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-01-2015, 06:52 PM
I must have just tuned out the YEC stuff over the years because it wasn't till I came here that I learned it's really a thing. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post