fear of success

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: fear of success
(17-12-2012 08:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  (I think he is a heSmile)
You are right, though, Dom. It's good to keep track of what's going one through our heads when we do it (or when we don't do something because of fear). But it's sometimes difficult to be aware of the fact that you're even doing it.

That's exactly the point. It takes self observation and identifying the triggers.

So I ask again: So how do you sabotage yourself? What is the process?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2012, 11:00 AM
(17-12-2012 10:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's exactly the point. It takes self observation and identifying the triggers.

Are you asking me or OP? Wink

(If it's both, in my case I wouldn't go as far as calling it sabotaging myself, but it's usually not even trying or underselling myself. I've also seen people act like jerks, knowing full well what will happen, like losing their job, etc.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
17-12-2012, 12:26 PM
(17-12-2012 11:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 10:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's exactly the point. It takes self observation and identifying the triggers.

Are you asking me or OP? Wink

(If it's both, in my case I wouldn't go as far as calling it sabotaging myself, but it's usually not even trying or underselling myself. I've also seen people act like jerks, knowing full well what will happen, like losing their job, etc.)

Lol, no, the OP. Smile

Didn't know you were underselling yourself. I don't like selling myself either, I just go all in and act like I belong, lol.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-12-2012, 12:36 PM
(17-12-2012 12:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Didn't know you were underselling yourself. I don't like selling myself either, I just go all in and act like I belong, lol.
Yeah, I should start charging more. Drinking Beverage

(Okay, done with the derailing.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
17-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Have you tried researching Imposter Syndrome? There's fear of success (like fearing "they'll" expect even more of you), fear of failure (being afraid to try because you might fail), and the feeling that you've been successful thus far by luck and if you continue to try, someone will find out you aren't really that good (Imposter Syndrome).

Also, because we all need to hear it:

You don't need to be fixed. We are, all of us, works in progress. We are beautiful and worth loving AS WE ARE no modification needed. We are perfectly flawed and always changing. Try not to worry what your special bundle of stardust SHOULD be, SHOULD do, but what brings you joy in the short time you will exist on this planet. Relax, you are alive today, nothing ate you, nothing tried to eat you, you had food, water, didn't freeze, etc. All in all, I'd say you were rather successful for a slow tasty ape running through a hostile planet. Fear of success? Nah.
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post
02-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Positive
thinking is very useful to overcome this. Always think that you can do this
properly, before you starting something to do.