feminism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
RE: feminism
(08-12-2010 10:24 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey.

While I don't disagree that many feminists fight for the equality of all sexes (or that some fight for the institution of matriarchy) I find it odd that a word with a root word that is exclusive to a single gender is used. Should not these people call themselves egalitarianists? Or gender neutralists? Something more general.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I've been trying to find these exact words since this thread started!!! Thanks Matt.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM

While I don't disagree that many feminists fight for the equality of all sexes (or that some fight for the institution of matriarchy) I find it odd that a word with a root word that is exclusive to a single gender is used. Should not these people call themselves egalitarianists? Or gender neutralists? Something more general.

Matt
Not at all. The Etymoogy of Feminist/Feminism originated in 1851, "state of being feminine;" sense of "advocacy of women's rights" is 1895, from Fr. féminisme (1837); see feminine + -ism. (source)

It would be impossible to be gender neutral and advocate for women's rights to be equal in receipt of the same rights as afforded the male sex.
While Egalitarianism would simply denote equality without denoting what sex seeks to be brought to equal standing. It's a female fight, when the Patriarchy affords men more rights and privileges simply because of a difference in genitalia.

As is exampled to this day in but one case wherein a class action lawsuit is being pursued against Walmart, who decided to allegedly pay men more money than women.
Walmart was founded by Sam Walton. A fundamentalist Christian. Some traditions outlived him.
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey, Gassy Kitten.

I have no doubt that Walmart sucks or that women to this day enjoy fewer rights, privileges and dolla dolla bills than men. But being feminine and defending women's rights are both inherently exclusive. I mean I get wanting to bring women up to par, but even that idea excludes any change on the male side.

But if someone was like, "I want all people to be equal," it just seems odd to self-identify with only one segment.

I guess what I mean is that blacks fought under the moniker of the equal rights movement, the Suffragettes under universal suffrage.

Just in closing, I don't think fundamentalist Christians are the only people to ever discriminate against women.

Matt
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
(09-12-2010 02:39 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  As is exampled to this day in but one case wherein a class action lawsuit is being pursued against Walmart, who decided to allegedly pay men more money than women.
Walmart was founded by Sam Walton. A fundamentalist Christian. Some traditions outlived him.

And even in this example, the approach is, in my view, skewed. The lawsuit should NOT fight to make Wally World pay women the same as men. The lawsuit should fight to make Wally World pay EMPLOYEES equally, based on the work they do. Taking the former approach implies that women need more protection than men (which they may very well need in this case) but by taking the latter approach, even though it seems like irrelevant semantics, it makes a statement that gender shouldn't be a part of the issue. Period.

I am an "equalist". Treat genders equally, instead of treating women like men. Treating women like men is still differentiating people by sex. I know that the women in my life deserve better.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Women have been treated like property in most cultures until about 100 years ago. (still are in muslim cultures) Why do people think that sexism is bad now when compared to how it's always been?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey, Cetaceaphile.

Quote:Women have been treated like property in most
cultures until about 100 years ago. (still are in
muslim cultures) Why do people think that sexism is
bad now when compared to how it's always been?

The problem with a statement like that is that while there are muslim cultures in the world in which women are property (at least figuratively) it implies that that's true in all Muslim cultures and it implies that they are the only ones: which is far from true.

Things have gotten better. For sure. Women have tons more rights in many places. Things are also better for slaves today, but there's still some 3 millions slaves in the world. So it's for sure better. No one owns me. But problem solved? Nope.

Matt
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I think all this "majority doesn't matter" stuff is pointless and pedantic.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-12-2010, 10:46 PM

In the same way I look upon race discrimination, I also look at discrimination against women. Equality should be the raising of those who have been discriminated against, without lowering the level of any. This is why I do not look upon affirmative action as a solution. It discriminates, taking away opportunity for some, while artificially creating opportunity for others. The individual most qualified should get open positions. Quotas should not be applied. Education is the key to qualification, and here again, I promote quality education for all.
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM

(09-12-2010 12:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Matt

I've been trying to find these exact words since this thread started!!! Thanks Matt.

I'd call myself an Equalist!

Mostly because, yes, I am all in favour of female rights, but the modern image of femenism is quite disturbing, as to be 'femenist' in a modern society, it's like you have to be unfemenin and to me, being an unfememnin femenist is a bit of an oxymoron, when you think about it. Almost as if becomming sexist themselves by implying that women can only have power by becomming more masculine. It may be subconcious but the entire idea has put me off expressing my views on 'Woman Power.'

I've been accused of being sexist against my own gender because I once said in my Religious class that men were stronger then women, which is biologically true in the majority, and when not, it is because the woman has higher testosterone levels then the male. Modern society 'feminazis' as I once heard them humerously refered to, are the ones that basterdize Femenism for me.
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:I've been accused of being sexist against my own gender because I once said in my Religious class that men were stronger then women, which is biologically true in the majority, and when not, it is because the woman has higher testosterone levels then the male.

I guess it depends on how you are defining "stronger". Women, as a gender, have a higher threshold for pain. Obviously there are men who can put up with a lot (and I am not one of them - 2 sniffles and I'm down for the count) but women are built to withstand more pain then men. Probably an evolutionary reaction to childbearing.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost