feminism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
RE: feminism
The French say "Viva La Difference." I enjoy the differences between men and women. I also see them as being equal. I have worked in physical labor jobs along side with women. They all have worked just as hard and just as well as the men.

The war of the sexes will never be won by either side, there is too much fraternizing with the enemy. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Sexual dimorphism can't be ignored. True. Men, on average, are 15% heavier than women. But I don't see it as a true dichotomy. 15% is an average, not a rule. Among men, there are the three somatotypes: endomorphs, mesomorphs and ectomorophs. A massive endomorph is always gonna be stronger than a skinny little ectomorph. I say that just to show that despite a vast difference among men (for example, in the UFC, Bantamweights weigh in at 135lbs, while heavyweights are a staggering 265lbs, literally double -5lbs) men are viewed as equal. So the idea that we cannot figure out physical equality between men and women cause "men are just stronger" is pure invention. One we need to ditch. We can totally find equality in difference.

That being said, I think masculinity and femininity are both important and I hate the idea that women need to be masculine to be powerful or equal. I don't want women to be men. The human experience is rich. I'd prefer to retain all of it.

Incidentally, the Mohawk are a good example of a matriarchal society.

Also, just cause I'm on a role, patriarchy and hierarchical civilisation go hand in hand. One of the only examples of a matriarchal empire, the first portion of the Egyptian empire, fell to patriarchy eventually. Initially, thanks to desert, Egypt was isolated. But once Egypt's enemies could easily cross the desert and war became a part of life, the men took over.

The primary obstacle to gender equality in societies obsessed with unlimited growth is that much like the worker is stripped of humanity and mechanised, the woman is stripped of humanity and relegated to the role of baby making machine. A constant supply of fighting men is a must for any militarised growth-obsessed society.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
12-12-2010, 06:44 AM

I think looking back into history would shed some light on how perceived sexual differences between the genders has kind of evolved into how things are now.

In the past, think early tribal situations here, the most important thing to a tribe past water and food, was the amount of wombs the tribe possessed. Women were literally the future of the tribe. It is no secret that the male gender of our species are, on average, much larger, faster, and stronger than the female of our species. This is because the men were, for lack of a better term, replaceable; the women were not. For every generation of those small tribes they had a set number of women, thus a set number of wombs, thus a easily to approximate number of possible offspring to pass on to the tribe. The children literally being the tribe of the future. Keep in mind, one male possessed enough sperm to impregnate every female in the tribe; thus a tribe with only one or two men could survive to further generations. However, flip that, and you would see that a tribe with only one or two women would die off very, very fast. So, large cat attacks? Men fight it off. Other tribe attacks your tribe for food/resources/slaves? Men fight them off. It ultimately did not matter if the men died. If you protected the women, you protected the tribe.

This being said, the differences between men and women in a non-technological world where education, and higher learning has not taken hold, (a world completely different from the one we live in now) are great indeed. In that world, with a few exceptions from some native American Indian tribes that i know of, the men where the rulers. And since morality or conscience was not as refined, a man could "control" a woman through physical means.

This bled into later generations. A situation of major importance took hold; people now lived in societies, free from having to fend off wild animals and tribes. This led to a higher population, and as a consequence of that, less importance on the womb. Now while you are thinking, "but less importance on the womb means less importance on women right?", wrong, men still needed the women to reproduce, yet had almost completely lost their power role as the protector. Protection had now taken to protecting them from war between other nations; a much rarer occurrence than the once day to day struggle. This allowed for higher learning and technological advances. Once learning took hold, men, at least the more intelligent men, understood that equal learning meant equal power, and they were not willing, nor wanting to lose the power they once had due to their physical superiority. (Think big-wig era)

Now along comes the technological age we live in now. Almost all occupations/labors that once required powerful men to complete them have been replaced by mechanics and robotics; and the few physical jobs left can be done equally by women as men. (With such extremely small exceptions that they are a mute argument.) This took away the last thing the male species had to hold over their female counterparts for power, their physical jobs and the last shred of protection. This taking away of the male species one dominant trait, their superior bodies, takes away any power whatsoever they would have over the female species. All jobs could now be done by women, and protection came in the form of robotics, ballistics and explosives, not strong armed spears, or swift swords. Now women could truly be equal. They are only not equal because of the last ditch efforts of individuals of the male species who do not wish to let go of that last bit of power.

Basically, men had protection and strength on their side. Society came round, leaving them with only strength on their side. Technological advances came around, and men lost all they had to hold onto their power with.

Also, on a side note, it is important to point out that male members used a forced lack of education for women in the middle ground to help them hold onto their power.

So..... Why can't we just have a perfect balance of equality between men and women?
My answer is that we just may, it is just a matter of time. For all you feminist out there it may help to know that you aren't the first. Looking at history you have slowly been winning the battle for equality for thousands of years! Just give it a decade or two more ladies!

(I am male btw) ;P
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
That was very well thought out and written.
13-12-2010, 04:35 PM
My girlfriends philosophy teacher told her class about a small country (she thinks it was i Asia somewhere) where "battle of the sexes" was turned completely up side down to the point where men where not even allowed to have their own bank accounts. This was supposedly because of the country´s long sea faring traditions. If a man was lost at sea this would make it easier on the wife since she did not have to have her husband declared dead in order to get her inheritance, since she already controlled the economy, owned the house etc. Only problem is that my girlfriend could not remember what this place was called, so there is no way I could read more about it, or even check to see if the teacher was bluffing just to shock them.
Have anyone else in here heard of this place?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
13-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:Have anyone else in here heard of this place?

I have. You're thinking of Themyscira, the home of Wonder Woman.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2010, 07:42 PM
yes. I thought about that to. But no man is allowed to set foot upon Themyscira, so that can´t be it.. :/

13-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, that doesn't really make sense. I mean, if they didn't have some men, how would they make more women? Even in a pure matriarchal society the laws of basic biology still apply, right?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I believe they can. In fact I know they can. It's clearly stated in the holy scriptures of DC comics. Have some faith! Big Grin

28-12-2010, 09:19 AM

(10-12-2010 04:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:I've been accused of being sexist against my own gender because I once said in my Religious class that men were stronger then women, which is biologically true in the majority, and when not, it is because the woman has higher testosterone levels then the male.

I guess it depends on how you are defining "stronger". Women, as a gender, have a higher threshold for pain. Obviously there are men who can put up with a lot (and I am not one of them - 2 sniffles and I'm down for the count) but women are built to withstand more pain then men. Probably an evolutionary reaction to childbearing.

I mean in terms of physical strength, not pain threshhold, although that is a good point right there.
Quote this message in a reply