feminism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2010, 05:26 PM
RE: feminism
(10-12-2010 04:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  I guess it depends on how you are defining "stronger". Women, as a gender, have a higher threshold for pain. Obviously there are men who can put up with a lot (and I am not one of them - 2 sniffles and I'm down for the count) but women are built to withstand more pain then men. Probably an evolutionary reaction to childbearing.

I did some reading on this, and it seems that this is just another myth. Research shows that if there is a difference between the genders when it comes to tolerating pain, it is in mens favor.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain...=100218149

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2010, 05:33 PM
(28-12-2010 05:26 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  
(10-12-2010 04:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  I guess it depends on how you are defining "stronger". Women, as a gender, have a higher threshold for pain. Obviously there are men who can put up with a lot (and I am not one of them - 2 sniffles and I'm down for the count) but women are built to withstand more pain then men. Probably an evolutionary reaction to childbearing.

I did some reading on this, and it seems that this is just another myth. Research shows that if there is a difference between the genders when it comes to tolerating pain, it is in mens favor.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain...=100218149

Norseman, you are correct. The pain a man endures by passing a kidney stone the size of a grape seed is approximately twice that of childbirth. I have found, however, that it is often safer to keep this piece of information to myself. I have never met a woman who didn't become EXTREMELY defensive when this fact is brought up. And no, I am not stereotyping. This is genuinely my experience, and I for one, prefer to keep the women around me happy!

....I passed a kidney stone the size of a sunflower seed, but still prefer to follow my story of woe with the statement, "but at least it wasn't childbirth!"....

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-12-2010, 03:55 PM

The problem with these types of studies is that you need a very very large sample size or you are going to get conflicting results. Mythbusters has it the other way (I don't know whether you'd consider them a valid source of data).

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/23/mythbu...-than-men/
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Nope. Wouldn't consider it a valid source of reliable information at all. Mythbusters is a reliable source of entertainment. (And not even very reliable at that).

I guess when it comes down to it, a person needs to choose a source they believe to be credible, based on things like you mentioned (sample size) as well as a reliable history. I don't recall the source from which I gathered the information, but I found it reliable based on merit. I suppose we can all argue about sources though. So I suppose you can take my information with a grain of salt until I provide my source. (Which I don't plan to do. It's just not important enough to go looking)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-12-2010, 08:14 PM

I've found a few articles about pain threshold and sex if anyone's interested. Most of them basically agree that women have a lower pain threshold than men. I honestly believe it, I cry like a baby if someone even pokes me in my arm Tongue

This one concluded that no significant difference was found between men and women:
http://informahealthcare.com.proxy1.lib....12006192-1

This one argues that the difference in pain threshold between the sexes is due to hormones. This is a French article, but it is comprehensible if translated using Google
http://www.edk.fr/reserve/revues/ms_papi...article.md

Another is an article titled: "Reproductive hormones may influence pain perception between sexes." Health & Medicine Week 15 Nov. 2004: 919. I can't find a free version of it. But this sums it up:

Quote:The results were striking: When estrogen levels were high, the women showed marked increases in their ability to release endorphins and activate the mu-opioid receptors - increases that rivaled and even surpassed those of men. The women also rated the intensity and unpleasantness of the pain lower than they had when their estrogen levels were low. ...

The linking of pain sensitivity and regulation to reproductive hormones - particularly estrogen - makes some "evolutionary" sense, Zubieta says. Women require more flexible, adaptive mechanisms to protect themselves from injury during their reproductive years to preserve the reproductive function of the species, he says. At the same time, women also have to adapt to the body changes and pain that takes place during pregnancy and childbirth, a time when reproductive hormones are at an all-time high.

"So they have to develop mechanisms, like the mu-opioid neurotransmitter system, that promote that type of flexibility," Zubieta says. "Interestingly, this neurotransmitter system is also involved in maternal-offspring attachment behavior, another area where estrogens may play a role."
22-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Probably something to do with testosterone or adrenalin or something! Tongue I dunno

And I take Mythbusters as fact :3 My brain is a bit like a sponge when it comes to television. a bit limp and lifeless
22-01-2011, 11:15 PM

(09-12-2010 04:38 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Gassy Kitten.

I have no doubt that Walmart sucks or that women to this day enjoy fewer rights, privileges and dolla dolla bills than men. But being feminine and defending women's rights are both inherently exclusive. I mean I get wanting to bring women up to par, but even that idea excludes any change on the male side.
Not at all. For women to be brought up to par as you put it, does require men to change.
It requires women to be given equal opportunity to ascend the ladder of power wherein there is no longer present that glass ceiling. It requires women to be afforded equal pay for equal work. It requires that good old boy ideology that women are the weaker sex, that they're trying to be treated like men when they ask to be respected as fellow human beings, employee's, rather than objectified first and dismissed, disrespected, discriminated against for being seen as a weaker female object unworthy of being considered equal to respect that is afforded men and their abilities that is a credit given simply because of their male gender.
As a consequence of implying men are more capable simply because of the characteristics stereotypically afforded their gender, women's assigned stereotype, (weaker sex, more emotional, less strong, etc...) afford the presumption that they aren't capable of being strong enough to handle getting paid or promoted as readily as their male counterparts who are doing the same job as the women but who ascend in pay and promotion far faster.

Gender inequality exists in all strata of society, even entertainment. A literal work of fiction and yet, women actors will fall by the wayside far sooner than aging male actors. Male actors growing older, like Sean Connery, are seen as sexy. While female actors are seen as old,matronly, etc... Is it any wonder Botox and plastic surgery are utilized to keep that face of youth for those aging matrons of stage and screens both large and small? Because a visually biased society is led to believe, through such repeated practices as those employed by Hollywood, that women are only sexy when they're young. And when they grow older, that former respect for the grand matriarch is revoked by the notion that no one wants to see someone old enough to be a grandmother in a love scene. Objectification at every level, makes the chasm between the sexes.

Quote:But if someone was like, "I want all people to be equal," it just seems odd to self-identify with only one segment.
Aside from being humans, all people are otherwise not equal.
What this is about is women being respected on equal par with men.

Quote:Just in closing, I don't think fundamentalist Christians are the only people to ever discriminate against women.
To my knowledge no one in this thread ever said anything of the like.
(09-12-2010 04:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(09-12-2010 02:39 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  As is exampled to this day in but one case wherein a class action lawsuit is being pursued against Walmart, who decided to allegedly pay men more money than women.
Walmart was founded by Sam Walton. A fundamentalist Christian. Some traditions outlived him.

And even in this example, the approach is, in my view, skewed. The lawsuit should NOT fight to make Wally World pay women the same as men. The lawsuit should fight to make Wally World pay EMPLOYEES equally, based on the work they do. Taking the former approach implies that women need more protection than men (which they may very well need in this case) but by taking the latter approach, even though it seems like irrelevant semantics, it makes a statement that gender shouldn't be a part of the issue. Period.
Obviously for Walmart the issue is that gender is part of the issue.
The Lawsuit is in fact stating that Walmart must pay all employee's the wage their position affords, regardless of the sex of that employee. The issue of skewed semantics rests with Walmart and their sex discrimination.

Quote:I am an "equalist". Treat genders equally, instead of treating women like men. Treating women like men is still differentiating people by sex. I know that the women in my life deserve better.
Feminism is not, nor has it ever been, about treating women like men.
23-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Equality is fantastic in theory but never applies in the real world too well. You can't make everyone happy and you're always going to oppress someone without even knowing it at times.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." Thomas Paine

[Image: websig.png]