femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 05:49 PM
femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
http://youtu.be/fn_Rnf-0-LI

I've heard it so many times and not just from feminist. theirs not enough minority representation in any entertainment and then write a two page blog that points this out.. here is the thing. for every feminist blog that writes about masogny in the media i think to myself. why don't they put that effort into writing their own fiction. I know I did to when I perceived that their wasn't enough sci-fantasy anywhere and I think it would be a better time than complaining. so what do you guys think.

lastily I realize i still haven't gotten anyone to edit the rest of my books. so it may take a while for them to come out. btw my book beats the bechdell test hands down.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kunoxian drive's post
12-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Re: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
We can't all be Truffaut.

No there's a place for analysis and criticism of all art/entertainment modes. I don't think it's fair to arts to say if you don't like something done, do the action you want done opposed to criticize. Both have the range to improve and/or influence the ideas of other media artists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-08-2014, 06:18 PM
RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
(12-08-2014 06:10 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  We can't all be Truffaut.

No there's a place for analysis and criticism of all art/entertainment modes. I don't think it's fair to arts to say if you don't like something done, do the action you want done opposed to criticize. Both have the range to improve and/or influence the ideas of other media artists.

I never said don't criticize but it's apparent to me that their are a lot of people that would benefit if they did get off their but and write something.... not pro or against feminism but at the same time really hating people that are just arm chair quarter backs{of any kinds mras included}. it would see that it it's only a fair statement when the complaining doesn't solve anything and just makes enemies out of the people you want to influence.

p.s. I am not an mra ether just so you know.

[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
12-08-2014, 08:03 PM
What they really want is to push their agenda into places where it doesn't belong. Video games now have to feature strong female (ideally transexual) characters who promote feminist ideology. It would be the same as if ultra-conservatives started demanding more representation for Christian characters in games.

Keep your ideology out of video games. Not every article of entertainment has to conform to your personal political fetish. Inserting ideology into everything would make a totalitarian society, which is exactly what they want and prove that they want every time they call for someone who hurts their feelings to be silenced.

[Image: tumblr_inline_mudb7nk0B41s9cs0f.jpg]

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
12-08-2014, 08:14 PM
i mostly agree but there is the rare feminist gem who really cares... mostly on the lower levels though.

[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
12-08-2014, 08:27 PM
(12-08-2014 08:14 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  i mostly agree but there is the rare feminist gem who really cares... mostly on the lower levels though.

[citation needed]

Drinking Beverage

Criticism is Darwinian. It helps determine what is most fit.

Do you read online restaurant reviews or reviews of the traders on e-bay (do people still use e-bay, I have no idea)?

I read criticism of scripture every day.

Criticism shapes our world.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't read restaurant reviews... lol

12-08-2014, 08:54 PM
that's different.... the criticism of a restaurant is nothing like the critical breakdown of a series... now notice I said critical break down and not review because that's what they are doing and failing to change anything.

12-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Criticism's purpose is to draw attention to something and present and alternate view point that might otherwise not have been considered. There are great movies by every measure that don't pass the bechdel test. They are still great movies. The bechdel test is still a great illustrative point on the gross gender disparity. These are arenas of thoughts, where one doesn't necessarily have to drive the other into nonexistence.

The cynic in me wants to say that unless the inner circle of successful screenwriters decide to include my female/minority leads, then it is unlikely that more female/minority leads are going to be cast; even if you sister writes a great screenplay (assuming one of the producers doesn't cast a white guy anyways [see hunger games]). Principally though I like the idea of more feminists taking the initiative and creating gender representative mdea.
[+] 4 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
like I said I am not against criticism but it's less effective then success. let them have their try of what they think fair representation is. we will see of that is truly going to sell and would be more constructive.