femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
(15-08-2014 08:09 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:06 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So why can't games be designed to appeal to women as well? Female playable characters would be appreciated for a start.

Tomb Raider (since the very beginning), Mass Effect, many, many RPG's (especially MMO's)...

Women characters are so common in games that Tomb Raider is always the one that gets quoted first.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 08:16 AM
(15-08-2014 08:05 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  This may shock you to find out, but did you know that you are part of society?

And this is relevant... Why?

... because refusing to acknowledge issues isn't particularly productive?

(15-08-2014 08:05 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Ever seen me discriminate? I guarantee you haven't.

I've only read a couple hundred words you've posted on an internet forum. Your life beyond that is beyond the scope of my possible knowledge.

But sure, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. You've never discriminated.

"I don't discriminate, therefore discrimination doesn't exist" is a hopelessly ignorant and fallacious statement, by the way.

(15-08-2014 08:05 AM)One Above All Wrote:  I'm not here to deny that discrimination occurs in some societies. I'm here to assert that the cause is mainly cultural, rather than something as silly as video games.

Protip: video games are part of culture.

(15-08-2014 08:05 AM)One Above All Wrote:  If video games were to blame, even partially, why is it that discrimination has existed for... well, ever, and has been decreasing, in spite of the fact that video games are increasingly pervasive in society?

Aaaaand now you're arguing against straw men.

No, bud, the claim is that gender inequality in video games is symptomatic of the discrimination that remains in our societies.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
15-08-2014, 08:16 AM
(15-08-2014 08:13 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:09 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Tomb Raider (since the very beginning), Mass Effect, many, many RPG's (especially MMO's)...

Women characters are so common in games that Tomb Raider is always the one that gets quoted first.

Metriod is the shit. My childhood was metriod

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
15-08-2014, 08:18 AM
(15-08-2014 08:13 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:09 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Tomb Raider (since the very beginning), Mass Effect, many, many RPG's (especially MMO's)...

To be fair, sometimes it's Metroid.

I fail to see how MMOs count, when all MMOs are such that character gender is purely cosmetic, and that visual aspect itself is highly illustrative.

15-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Wikipedia lists 286 male characters against 113 female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ma...ideo_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fe...ideo_games

That's a hell of an imbalance even when you don't actually have a look at some of the female characters and realise from their appearance that their existence isn't exactly an argument for equality.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
15-08-2014, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 08:23 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
(15-08-2014 08:05 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  This may shock you to find out, but did you know that you are part of society?

And this is relevant... Why? Ever seen me discriminate? I guarantee you haven't.
I'm not here to deny that discrimination occurs in some societies. I'm here to assert that the cause is mainly cultural, rather than something as silly as video games. If video games were to blame, even partially, why is it that discrimination has existed for... well, ever, and has been decreasing, in spite of the fact that video games are increasingly pervasive in society?

I don't understand still, why you keep referencing back to a personal level, or attribute roan idea that video games are considered an individual identity. I don't know you personally nor even as a poster to this forum, but you continually reference from your view being above other common issues.

I guess overall I'm confused frequently by the use of limited examples as a point in argument.

Sure, ME/bioware frequently lets you choose female/male options, and tomb raider was a good series... But those are limited examples. If the statistics are true that about 47% of gamers are female. Is it far from unreasonable to speak out wanting more female main characters implemented in games. When without knowing the stats, I'm sure isn't a 47% range.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-08-2014, 08:22 AM
(15-08-2014 08:06 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:55 AM)Zippo Wrote:  Not really. Nearly half the market are women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_v...emographic

I've used that very same wikipedia link myself on these threads.

So why can't games be designed to appeal to women as well? Female playable characters would be appreciated for a start.

If women are 47% of the market the product seems to appeal to them.
[+] 1 user Likes Zippo's post
15-08-2014, 08:25 AM
(15-08-2014 08:19 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Wikipedia lists 286 male characters against 113 female.

That's a hell of an imbalance even when you don't actually have a look at some of the female characters and realise from their appearance that their existence isn't exactly an argument for equality.

Why can't women look sexy or dress scantily? If you want equality then why not have male characters who look sexy too? Why demand that everything sexual disappear?

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
15-08-2014, 08:25 AM
(15-08-2014 08:25 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:19 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Wikipedia lists 286 male characters against 113 female.

Why can't women look sexy or dress scantily? If you want equality then why not have male characters who look sexy too? Why demand that everything sexual disappear?

You, sirrah, are a straw man machine.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-08-2014, 08:26 AM
(15-08-2014 08:25 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:25 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Why can't women look sexy or dress scantily? If you want equality then why not have male characters who look sexy too? Why demand that everything sexual disappear?

You, sirrah, are a straw man machine.

I like sexy looking female characters. Why do you have to remove them? Why not just put this guy in too?
[Image: Jolidon-basic-Men3.jpg]

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!