femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 03:09 AM
RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
orry for the double post but the game is called 5 minutes to kill yourself.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2014, 03:13 AM
(13-08-2014 02:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:03 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  What they really want is to push their agenda into places where it doesn't belong. Video games now have to feature strong female (ideally transexual) characters who promote feminist ideology.

Negs

Yeah let's get back to the good old times when there were no female characters in video games. In fact, pretty much like most video games right now on thinking about it. And the number of video games where the main character is female are still rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_v...emographic

Quote:According to a study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2012, "Forty-seven percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent)."[38][39]

You really do talk pish. Give me a good reason why there shouldn't be more female characters (including main characters) in video games.

Agreed.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-08-2014, 03:18 AM
this is why truly should be a movie

13-08-2014, 03:29 AM
(13-08-2014 02:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 12:03 AM)oniyn Wrote:  Even if you write or make a comic, chances are that you only sell a handful of them, including your friends and family. I think there are feminists who create their own content, but they aren't popular to be noticable except for tumblr.

Only because of the existing demographic. There is nothing inherently masculine in reading comics.

If all comics are aimed at young boys and you write a comic that has a main female character than most women could identify with then it's not going to sell well because most women won't ever consider buying a comic if the ones that already exist aren't aimed at them.

This is why it's useful to point out a gender imbalance. It widens the potential market. It tells women out there that there is a new product for them to consider purchasing and it's OK for people like them to own such an item.

People often base their actions based on the perception of whether people like them would do such a thing. It takes time for behaviour to change.

Unfortunately people use this to argue that there shouldn't be any change in the first place. Normally people who are quite happy with the status quo where everything is already targetted at them.

voting with your dollars is admirable.

13-08-2014, 10:38 AM
(13-08-2014 02:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:03 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  What they really want is to push their agenda into places where it doesn't belong. Video games now have to feature strong female (ideally transexual) characters who promote feminist ideology.

Negs

Yeah let's get back to the good old times when there were no female characters in video games. In fact, pretty much like most video games right now on thinking about it. And the number of video games where the main character is female are still rare.

Quote:According to a study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2012, "Forty-seven percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent)."[38][39]

You really do talk pish. Give me a good reason why there shouldn't be more female characters (including main characters) in video games.

If the creator of the game wants the main character to be female then they can do that. Let people determine what they want in games through the free market. Plenty of games with a female main character sell well (Complete wikipedia list here). What feminists are doing is trying to force their agenda on gamers, and then calling us sexist and misogynist if we reject it. Look at the backlash in the mainstream media when people got upset that a SJW was the head of community management or whatever.

Link

No one here is claiming that games shouldn't be criticized, we just think they should be criticized on things like gameplay and story, not on the gender of the main character.

And before anyone brings up the "you support rape threats" strawman, I (and I'm assuming everyone else here) condemns, in the harshest manner, the rape threats Anita Sarkeesian received. Obviously rape threats are wrong. But it is important to remember that people sending you rape/death threats does not make you right. What people did was wrong, but what she has to say is still bullshit.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
13-08-2014, 11:17 AM
(13-08-2014 10:38 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 02:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Negs

If the creator of the game wants the main character to be female then they can do that. Let people determine what they want in games through the free market. Plenty of games with a female main character sell well (Complete wikipedia list here). What feminists are doing is trying to force their agenda on gamers, and then calling us sexist and misogynist if we reject it. Look at the backlash in the mainstream media when people got upset that a SJW was the head of community management or whatever.

Link

No one here is claiming that games shouldn't be criticized, we just think they should be criticized on things like gameplay and story, not on the gender of the main character.

And before anyone brings up the "you support rape threats" strawman, I (and I'm assuming everyone else here) condemns, in the harshest manner, the rape threats Anita Sarkeesian received. Obviously rape threats are wrong. But it is important to remember that people sending you rape/death threats does not make you right. What people did was wrong, but what she has to say is still bullshit.

well put.. i wouldn't support threats of any kind.. well except threets a to debate with extreme prejuduce. I do think there should be more diverse characters in games. I just don't think they should be forced onto a community or shoe horned in because of some checklist.

13-08-2014, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 11:40 AM by Wicked Clown.)
I just don't understand why so many feminist will focus on ending violence only against women. I've seen males get beat up so many times. I've never seen a guy frickin cock back and punch a woman in the face. I've never seen a woman with a black eye from getting hit by a guy. I've heard so many guys say I'm going to beat the living fuck out of that dude, but I've never heard somebody say that they were going to beat up a girl. I mean of course it happens, but the thing I'm trying to get across is that most violence is committed against men.

I think feminism is a good vital movement that has really benefited women who couldn vote or have equal opportunities, however when it gets to the point where it's no longer about equality, that's when it starts pissing me off. and they keep telling women they have been the victims forever , but then claim , we are just as qualified as men for any task. when you claim you've always been the victim it doesn't back up the claim that you are so incredibly self sufficient.
[+] 1 user Likes Wicked Clown's post
13-08-2014, 11:21 AM
sorry for the double post but i had one more thing to say... I think that the issue at hand is an iclusion issue not a sexism issue. any market or media needs to expand to live and the gaming market is no exception but It is having problems expanding because of the backlash of feminist. shouuld we expand to ibe more inclusive. yes... but only because thats how a media lives. it should never be forced. like with the sjw's.

13-08-2014, 11:24 AM
also, how many of you men here have ever hit a woman? but I bet the majority of you have hit a guy and probably more than once.
[+] 1 user Likes Wicked Clown's post
13-08-2014, 11:46 AM
(13-08-2014 11:20 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I've never seen a woman with a black eye from getting hit by a guy.

You don't get around much then. I have seen exactly this several times. It does happen.