femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 07:39 AM
RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
(15-08-2014 07:28 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Unless you can prove that video games affect the way people think, then you have nothing.

Everything you do affects the way you think. Every action you perform, every behaviour, every experience affects the way you think. Playing video games, along with everything else you do, affects the way you think.

The state of your brain is determined by past experiences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Well, I had written a reply that I hoped I didn't have to use. Then I deleted it. Now I see it is necessary.

You are all absolutely correct. Video games make people discriminate against women and minorities; it's most definitely not a cultural or mental illness issue. That's why every gamer in my country (which is just about everyone older than 4 and younger than 40) thinks women are nothing more than self-propelled breeding and sandwich-making devices. Abortion is illegal for that same reason. Who cares if they die? We can make more. Rape runs rampant in the streets. Women are kept out of schools and aren't allowed to vote. Minorities are shot down on sight. All because, among other things, we play too many violent and sexist video games.

Cue negative rep, or whatever they're called here.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
15-08-2014, 07:42 AM
(15-08-2014 07:26 AM)Zippo Wrote:  Video games are a business. As long as the game sells, no one is going to worry about any group complaining that they are not being portrayed to their liking in a game. The only way that can happen is if the group that complains actually influences sales and eventually developers change the games to satisfy the demand.

From post 18, substitute video games for comics

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid623700

(13-08-2014 02:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Only because of the existing demographic. There is nothing inherently masculine in reading comics.

If all comics are aimed at young boys and you write a comic that has a main female character than most women could identify with then it's not going to sell well because most women won't ever consider buying a comic if the ones that already exist aren't aimed at them.

This is why it's useful to point out a gender imbalance. It widens the potential market. It tells women out there that there is a new product for them to consider purchasing and it's OK for people like them to own such an item.

People often base their actions based on the perception of whether people like them would do such a thing. It takes time for behaviour to change.
15-08-2014, 07:44 AM
(15-08-2014 07:35 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:08 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Then debunk this:

How much chance have you had to discriminate? Have you had to select between candidates for a job for example? Have you had the chance to decide who is given promotion? Have you ever mouthed off to your friends in private about some other demographic?

Brain scans have shown us that people have emotional impulses when deciding on how to act and they consciously rationalise it afterwards. How do you know that the way that you act isn't influenced by your own prejudices?

By denying that discrimination exists when there is plenty of hard evidence that it does reinforces discrimination in society. That means that you are part of the problem.

Now debunk what I am saying about how the brain functions.

We are discussing whether or not video games affect behavior. Many studies have been done on this (mostly in the area of video games and violence) and it is now know that video games do not cause violence. So why would video games cause sexism if they do not cause violence?

I was actually hoping you would point me towards some studies that would change my perspective, because I would like to be exposed to more information and such in this area, but you posted nothing of the sort. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
15-08-2014, 07:45 AM
(15-08-2014 07:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Well, I had written a reply that I hoped I didn't have to use. Then I deleted it. Now I see it is necessary.

You are all absolutely correct. Video games make people discriminate against women and minorities; it's most definitely not a cultural or mental illness issue. That's why every gamer in my country (which is just about everyone older than 4 and younger than 40) thinks women are nothing more than self-propelled breeding and sandwich-making devices. Abortion is illegal for that same reason. Who cares if they die? We can make more. Rape runs rampant in the streets. Women are kept out of schools and aren't allowed to vote. Minorities are shot down on sight. All because, among other things, we play too many violent and sexist video games.

You were right to delete that fallacious argument the first time round.

Reductio ad absurdum

Quote:... also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin: argument to absurdity), is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that a statement is true by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its denial,[1] or in turn to demonstrate that a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-08-2014, 07:46 AM
(15-08-2014 07:35 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  By denying that discrimination exists when there is plenty of hard evidence that it does reinforces discrimination in society. That means that you are part of the problem.

Your society. Don't push that bullshit onto mine.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
15-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Re: RE: femism vs geek culture and why I think feminist spining wheels
(15-08-2014 07:26 AM)Zippo Wrote:  Video games are a business. As long as the game sells, no one is going to worry about any group complaining that they are not being portrayed to their liking in a game. The only way that can happen is if the group that complains actually influences sales and eventually developers change the games to satisfy the demand.

The interesting aspect that's apart of the current would is direct audience to developer communication is growing. They're recognized as the people they are more with personal twitter accounts and plenty of podcasts or conferences for people to hear them.

Altering product by sale is an old concept which is not the whole picture. Attempting to make developers more consciously aware of a slue of things is a goal. Consciously aware people is what is desirable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-08-2014, 07:48 AM
(15-08-2014 07:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You were right to delete that fallacious argument the first time round.

No argument. Just me saying that you're too blind to see that you're wrong. Also, can you not recognize hyperbole if I don't state it outright? I thought the fact that I was speaking of ridiculous scenarios made that obvious.

15-08-2014, 07:49 AM
(15-08-2014 07:46 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:35 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  By denying that discrimination exists when there is plenty of hard evidence that it does reinforces discrimination in society. That means that you are part of the problem.

Any society. Don't assume that I'm American.
15-08-2014, 07:53 AM
(15-08-2014 07:46 AM)One Above All Wrote:  

This may shock you to find out, but did you know that you are part of society?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post