fired for domestic violence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2013, 08:52 AM
fired for domestic violence
I read this article today about a teacher at a Catholic school that was fired because of her psycho ex-husband and a domestic violence situation.

Teacher at Catholic School fired over Ex-husband/domestic violence.

In my opinion-the fact that it is Catholic school doesn't matter much, I can see it happening in a public school situation too.

I think its safe to assume if the guy is getting the police called on him 3 times in one day, going to jail on 2 felonies, showing up at the school putting it on lockdown that he is in fact dangerous.

As a mother- I totally agree with her being fired- she is a target that I don't want anywhere near my children. And the safety of the kids takes priority over her employment.

BUT-

As a woman-and knowing she is a victim and not the perpetrator -- I don't like that she's losing her job. She wasn't fired over her classroom methods. Her and her children will suffer because of her loss of employment and its not because of something they did and it was out of their control. The ex husband is continuing to destroy their lives. How can one ever escape his destruction.....divorce and restraining orders and now jail are seemingly not enough.

Obviously we need some help on the justice side of this equation.

Should she have been fired?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: fired for domestic violence
(14-06-2013 08:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I read this article today about a teacher at a Catholic school that was fired because of her psycho ex-husband and a domestic violence situation.

In my opinion-the fact that it is Catholic school doesn't matter much, I can see it happening in a public school situation too.

I think its safe to assume if the guy is getting the police called on him 3 times in one day, going to jail on 2 felonies, showing up at the school putting it on lockdown that he is in fact dangerous.

As a mother- I totally agree with her being fired- she is a target that I don't want anywhere near my children. And the safety of the kids takes priority over her employment.

BUT-

As a woman-and knowing she is a victim and not the perpetrator -- I don't like that she's losing her job. She wasn't fired over her classroom methods. Her and her children will suffer because of her loss of employment and its not because of something they did and it was out of their control. The ex husband is continuing to destroy their lives. How can one ever escape his destruction.....divorce and restraining orders and now jail are seemingly not enough.

No, it is not right that she be fired.

The school needs to face the reality that the world is not a safe place and have the means to protect the school against this sort of thing. They don't know what other similar threats might be there.

If I were her, I would hire a lawyer and sue their sorry, pansy asses.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Now, she'll probably need unemployment and maybe SOS assistance to keep the ex away. I have to wonder about the church not being all charitable as they claim to be. If one can make the claim for the church doing good works, shouldn't they have taken her in, so to speak? Shouldn't they have helped a fellow human in need?

They transfer nuns and priests all the time, why can't they at least offer her a job at another school?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-06-2013, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 09:44 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(14-06-2013 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not right that she be fired.

The school needs to face the reality that the world is not a safe place and have the means to protect the school against this sort of thing. They don't know what other similar threats might be there.

Didn't they just use their means of protecting the school? They protected the school by removing the target.

ITA with Kim- I would like to think they would offer to move her to another state. But much of that would depend on the divorce decree, parental rights. They could move her but if she is required to tell him where the kids are, then it defeats the purpose. Many states have laws that don't allow custodial parents to move children without the "blessing" of the non-custodial parent.

14-06-2013, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 09:46 AM by Chas.)
(14-06-2013 09:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not right that she be fired.

Didn't they just use their means of protecting the school? They protected the school by removing the target.

ITA with Kim- I would think they would offer to move her to another state. But much of that would depend on the divorce decree, parental rights. They could move her but if she is required to tell him where the kids are, then it defeats the purpose. Many states have laws that don't allow custodial parents to move children without the "blessing" of the non-custodial parent.

They must use just and legal means. What they did is unjust and possibly illegal.
No, instead they blame and punish the victim. That is consistent with religious thinking, I suppose. Consider

Why not just send all the kids home, then? They remove the target, problem solved.Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2013, 09:47 AM
(14-06-2013 08:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I read this article today about a teacher at a Catholic school that was fired because of her psycho ex-husband and a domestic violence situation.

BUT-

Their dogma says she can't divorce him but they can fire her...Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
14-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Wow, having a stalker, perpetrator or abuser is victimizing enough- but her place of employment, too? That poor woman! There needs to be support provided for her, this was not handled well. Fired for someone else's actions? They are only helping her ex make her life a living hell, not helping her or anyone else. Way to support the bully. Ugh.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-06-2013, 09:51 AM
It would have been great if they would have backed her up in prosecuting the ex husband....I'm sure they have a few lawyers available that are schooled on abuse cases.