forensic science and pseudoscience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2018, 11:43 AM
forensic science and pseudoscience
The current state of forensic science is apparently much, much lower than one might be led to believe. Besides the fact forensic laboratories are overwhelmed with cases creating massive delays, the fact that many so called forensic science are complete bullshit, it also has enormous problems of reliability. Even DNA analysis, the gold standard of forensic science, scores rather poorly. In addition to these problems, the fact those sciences are so heavily trusted by the public has led to people overstressing the importance of forensic evidence during trials. Considering their importance, I think its high time for our government to invest more in research on the subject.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...forensics/

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
13-06-2018, 08:36 PM
RE: forensic science and pseudoscience
(13-06-2018 11:43 AM)epronovost Wrote:  The current state of forensic science is apparently much, much lower than one might be led to believe. Besides the fact forensic laboratories are overwhelmed with cases creating massive delays, the fact that many so called forensic science are complete bullshit, it also has enormous problems of reliability. Even DNA analysis, the gold standard of forensic science, scores rather poorly. In addition to these problems, the fact those sciences are so heavily trusted by the public has led to people overstressing the importance of forensic evidence during trials. Considering their importance, I think its high time for our government to invest more in research on the subject.

I wonder if the general public perception about the near-perfection of forensics in criminal cases doesn't come mainly from television. CSI Las Vegas and spinoffs and the like portray detective work as little different from lab work, they run their little tests and out spits the bad guy with 1000% accuracy.

13-06-2018, 08:45 PM
(13-06-2018 08:36 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 11:43 AM)epronovost Wrote:  The current state of forensic science is apparently much, much lower than one might be led to believe. Besides the fact forensic laboratories are overwhelmed with cases creating massive delays, the fact that many so called forensic science are complete bullshit, it also has enormous problems of reliability. Even DNA analysis, the gold standard of forensic science, scores rather poorly. In addition to these problems, the fact those sciences are so heavily trusted by the public has led to people overstressing the importance of forensic evidence during trials. Considering their importance, I think its high time for our government to invest more in research on the subject.

I wonder if the general public perception about the near-perfection of forensics in criminal cases doesn't come mainly from television. CSI Las Vegas and spinoffs and the like portray detective work as little different from lab work, they run their little tests and out spits the bad guy with 1000% accuracy.

This phenomenon has been named the CSI Effect for one reason. Yes, the extremely positive depiction of forensic has given people unreasonnable expectation from them.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
13-06-2018, 08:46 PM
I'm going to take a Sci Am article calling somebody else' field pseudo-science with several grains of salt. Sure there are inaccuracies and biases. This is why we have defence lawyers who are supposed to make sure that the forensic team has triple checked their work. No evidence will ever be 100% reliable, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post