forget education - the rapture is nigh!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2015, 04:50 PM
forget education - the rapture is nigh!
http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texa...g/36190388

Quote:Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

At issue: Where do religious liberty and parental rights to educate one's own children stop and obligations to ensure home-schooled students ever actually learn something begin?.......

...problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

Then, the family's eldest daughter, 17-year-old Tori, ran away from home saying she wanted to return to school. She was placed in ninth grade, since officials weren't sure she could handle higher-level work.

The El Paso school district eventually asked the McIntyres to provide proof that their children were being properly educated and even filed truancy charges that were later dropped. The family sued and had an appeals court rule against them, but now the case goes Monday to the all-Republican state Supreme Court.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-11-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: forget education - the rapture is nigh!
It’s always the children that get screwed by religious fruitcakes be it be these moronic parents or the ones that won’t allow a transfusion.

Angry

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
02-11-2015, 05:27 PM
I guess that is a family tradition that goes back, because the second coming has been coming in every generations lifetime.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
02-11-2015, 05:27 PM
I think that were the line should be drawn between parental rights and the rights of the children should be drawn thus ----

If a kid is "home schooled" --- and later comes to find out he/she has been fed nothing but bullshit, woo, and stupidity --- he/she should have the right to sue the "parent" for child abuse.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-11-2015, 06:30 PM
THIS, this is the reason I rail against religion. This is child abuse, those 9 children are fucked.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Home schooling needs to be monitored, but more importantly, the parents must be judged qualified.

If the parents cannot show a basic understanding of language, civics, logic, and arithmetic, then nope,
no home schooling for you.

[Image: NO-SOUP-FOR-YOU.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2015, 07:34 PM
I have a question.
If people are homeschooled, they do have to pass the standardized tests, right?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
03-11-2015, 06:02 AM
(02-11-2015 07:34 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I have a question.
If people are homeschooled, they do have to pass the standardized tests, right?

I think different states have different rules. Far as I know in Oregon you do, plus they have a free online curriculum to take when home schooling.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Texas is one of those states that actually frowns on homeschooling. They didn't legalize it until 1994 when they were forced by the courts. They offer no high school diploma or equivalent to students that are homeschooled. Despite this, there are still standards that must be met. There is no religous exemption. I've had my kids enrolled in public schools in California, Florida, Washington and Texas. Texas and Washington were by far superior. Homeschooling in Texas is kind of taboo. Only the real religious kooks do it. I'd be highly surprised if the state supreme Court ruled in their favor.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
03-11-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm not a fan of home schooling, especially the paranoia-based evangelical home schooling movement. Poor kids! The last thing I would ever have wanted to do was spend 24 hours a day in the company of my parents. Kids need space to develop their own identities in a separate arena, IMO.

I remember many sermons predicting the rapture within a decade, back in the 1970s. These parents I think were just too lazy to home school their kids and used the rapture as an excuse.