forum down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2011, 02:31 PM
forum down
could it be that the forum was down today? I could not access it. Or was the problem on this side?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2011, 02:54 PM
RE: forum down
I could not get on either so it must have been down

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I was able to ping the website but not load it in my browser.
Another update or bugfix maybe ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-04-2011, 03:29 PM
The site was down for a while, but thanks to our awesome web designer, all is well again. Thanks GodVirusDeleted!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
19-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes,
There was a server outage. Still getting to the bottom of what caused it though I have to say i'm not all that happy about this.

That server was out for almost 14hrs. Thats HUGE for web hosting. I watched it happen and I was powerless to do anything about it. A position I'm not used to being in.. I had to sit around twiddle my thumbs and wait for someone to fix it. Very frustrating...

Never mind. It's all better now. I hope it stays that way!

If I was God I would smite down "Media Temple" for their blasphemous name and their staff included because they work there.

http://status.mediatemple.net/
Damn you Media Temple! Damn you to Heaven!

May all the priests have their way with you and touch you inappropriately!
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
19-04-2011, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2011 10:49 PM by Observer.)
(19-04-2011 03:27 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I was able to ping the website but not load it in my browser.
me too... that does not make sense unless the server was up but the data unavailable. Huh

(19-04-2011 04:09 PM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  I watched it happen and I was powerless to do anything about it.
And while praying is not very common among Atheists...

(19-04-2011 04:09 PM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  If I was God I would smite down "Media Temple" for their blasphemous name and their staff included because they work there.
Wait... you mean the Atheists base is located on a server called "Temple". Now THAT'S Irony! A sign of god... Cool

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
21-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:me too... that does not make sense unless the server was up but the data unavailable. Huh
Well , ping takes place at OSI layer 3 , and data like web pages and browsers work at OSI layer 7 so you can get a reply but the site can still be down.

@godvirus
Are you the web designer or do you double as admin of the server ? Or is the website leased to a third-party ?
I'm just curios.

21-04-2011, 05:53 PM
(21-04-2011 02:26 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Are you the web designer or do you double as admin of the server ? Or is the website leased to a third-party ?
I'm just curios.
Webhosting is typically always outsourced! It's the only cost effective way to handle it.

I don't have full control over the server. I only have control over DNS, the databases and files. I can't radically change apache config beyond what I can control with the .htaccess files. I can change some php.ini values but thats about all.

I'm hoping to get this on a vps at some point so I can have root access and more control over the system.
23-04-2011, 02:52 PM
@godvirus
Thanks.
How demanding is it , I mean to take care of a server - never had the privilege Sad

23-04-2011, 10:10 PM
(23-04-2011 02:52 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @godvirus
Thanks.
How demanding is it , I mean to take care of a server - never had the privilege Sad
Most of the time the system takes care of itself. Especially when it's setup right and nothing much is changing. Once sites get really busy they require more frequent maintenance and checking.

One of my goals is to make TTA one of the best/largest communities out there. I want to add services and features to this site that are unmatched anywhere else. Not just forum stuff. I want to expand beyond that and make it more connected and social.

Haven't fully figured out how I'll do that though I have some ideas. This is a little pet project of mine.

Jeez my grammar is horrible isn't it. It probably shows that I almost failed high school English the way I break up my sentences.. Sad I got an D-... The bare minimum required to be allowed into engineering. I wish Khan Academy had English grammar as part of it's curriculum.