found this text? please help disprove?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: found this text? please help disprove?
ooooh i can be a prophet too...."ahem, there will be great unrest in the land of the lord for years to come, and in the future a great war will be fought there"....give it about 3 years, or 5, or 10, or 20, or 50, or 100...this will continue to come true forever Rolleyes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
22-08-2014, 05:03 PM
you don't do disprove anything. That presumes that the thing you are talking about was already proven to be true in the first place and now you are trying to change that which is ass backwards.

That is not how people should be looking at things.
Indeed with everything EXCEPT gods, most people DO NOT believe until it is proven to be true.

I have an autographed Babe Ruth baseball. Oh yeah? Prove it!
I have a pink Ferrari. Oh yeah? Prove it.
These are simple examples.

For religions, take your time to analyze the assertions made by them.
There is a god. Oh Yeah? Prove it.
Many have tried, all have failed. At least in my eyes.
22-08-2014, 05:05 PM
(22-08-2014 04:06 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ooooh i can be a prophet too...."ahem, there will be great unrest in the land of the lord for years to come, and in the future a great war will be fought there"....give it about 3 years, or 5, or 10, or 20, or 50, or 100...this will continue to come true forever Rolleyes

oooh oooh, I want to play.

"Sons will quarrel with their fathers, and women will give birth out of wedlock. There will be liars, and thieves, and murders. There will be corruption in government and the church. Men and women will eat food. The sun will rise every morning and set in the evening, but in a really ominous way. If you listen really quietly, you might hear a fart. So the lord saith, and so it will be."
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
22-08-2014, 05:14 PM
If they're anything like Christians, they'll just cherry pick ambiguous passages that when used in a certain context seem to hint at something related to modern science...

They also ignore all the passages which contradict it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
22-08-2014, 05:25 PM
(22-08-2014 05:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 04:06 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ooooh i can be a prophet too...."ahem, there will be great unrest in the land of the lord for years to come, and in the future a great war will be fought there"....give it about 3 years, or 5, or 10, or 20, or 50, or 100...this will continue to come true forever Rolleyes

"Sons will quarrel with their fathers, and women will give birth out of wedlock. There will be liars, and thieves, and murders. There will be corruption in government and the church. Men and women will eat food. The sun will rise every morning and set in the evening, but in a really ominous way. If you listen really quietly, you might hear a fart. So the lord saith, and so it will be."

Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
22-08-2014, 05:42 PM
(22-08-2014 05:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

You're so specific! I predict in the future, things will happen!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
22-08-2014, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 06:44 PM by docskeptic.)
Have you actually read the texts cited? This looks like someone's interpretation of the texts. I'll give you any odds that the actual portions say nothing of the kind. Please report back after you've read them.
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
22-08-2014, 07:24 PM
There are probally hundreds if not thousands of articles written every day that claim some wacky "truth" that you've never heard before. Do you really want to spend your time disproving wacky ideas ? Or would you rather say "Prove what you're saying with evidence. Have it peer reviewed. Have it published by a good magazine and then we can talk."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-08-2014, 08:53 PM
(22-08-2014 06:39 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Have you actually read the texts cited? This looks like someone's interpretation of the texts. I'll give you any odds that the actual portions say nothing of the kind. Please report back after you've read them.
Doc

Whether they do or not, it's worth reading the entire chapter, or at least the pages before and after in order to get the proper context.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2014, 09:21 PM
(22-08-2014 03:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Why do you need to disprove it?

Shouldn't it first need to be proven to you?

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

If you take it upon yourself to disprove every religion that you come across, you're going to have a bad time. If they make a claim, the burden of proof is on them.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post