21-01-2014, 07:27 AM
free Harvard Bible Course draws 22,000
Harvard bible course

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: free Harvard Bible Course draws 22,000
Wow. I just hope they're planning to teach the truth and not the myth.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-01-2014, 11:26 AM
That's kind of a catch-22. Either an academic institution teaches a bunch of stories, or they tell it straight and reinforce the notion that the "college elite" are indoctrinating our youth with their liberal, atheist agenda.
22-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Do those people realize that actually reading the Bible might, you know, be a requirement of the class? Like they haven't bothered to read the inspired work of the Creator of the Universe until somebody makes it homework?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-01-2014, 02:22 AM
(21-01-2014 09:50 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Wow. I just hope they're planning to teach the truth and not the myth.

I would assume that's the point? I went through the free online lectures of an intro to the "old testament" from a professor at Yale. It was very interesting.
22-01-2014, 06:23 AM
from the article:
Quote:The course explores the content of Paul's letters in the context of the Roman Empire, as well as the impact that they have on today's world. According to the syllabus, "The letters of Paul are the earliest texts in the Christian scriptures, written by a Jew at a time when the word 'Christian' hadn’t yet been coined. What is the religious and political context into which they emerged? How were they first interpreted? How and why do they make such an enormous impact in Christian communities and in politics today?"

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2014, 09:17 AM
(22-01-2014 02:22 AM)Dena Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 09:50 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Wow. I just hope they're planning to teach the truth and not the myth.

I would assume that's the point? I went through the free online lectures of an intro to the "old testament" from a professor at Yale. It was very interesting.
One would think so and, from the description, it sounds that way. However, it depends on the point of view from which it will be taught and, to an extent, who is teaching it. The creation museum is also supposed to be a portrayal of "reality"...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
22-01-2014, 09:21 AM
21,000 are atheist actually doing what christians should be doing... reading a book!!