game character based on Sarkeesian.... we're DOOMED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 11:35 PM
RE: game character based on Sarkeesian.... we're DOOMED
(16-02-2015 11:16 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 10:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Tweeting her Home address and saying I'm going to kill you however is a very serious death threat and that happened several times.

So all gamers are inherently evil because of what some trolls did.

My issue with Sarkeesian are her arguments and actions, the problem being she can claim anything is harassment and she is will be defended simply because vagina.

When she declared that masculinity was the cause of Eliot Rodger's breakdown and got criticised for it she claimed the criticism was harassment.

When her hypocrisy is pointed out its harassment.

When a game is made about beating up a male it's fine, when its her its a concerted campaign of hate.

Notice the pattern here?

No one is saying everyone has to agree with her point of view but threatening her life is a shitty thing to do and really stupid on behalf of those idiots who have nothing better to do than rage about her.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 11:53 PM
(16-02-2015 11:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 11:16 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  So all gamers are inherently evil because of what some trolls did.

My issue with Sarkeesian are her arguments and actions, the problem being she can claim anything is harassment and she is will be defended simply because vagina.

When she declared that masculinity was the cause of Eliot Rodger's breakdown and got criticised for it she claimed the criticism was harassment.

When her hypocrisy is pointed out its harassment.

When a game is made about beating up a male it's fine, when its her its a concerted campaign of hate.

Notice the pattern here?

No one is saying everyone has to agree with her point of view but threatening her life is a shitty thing to do and really stupid on behalf of those idiots who have nothing better to do than rage about her.

Should credible threats be dealt with yes, yes they should. Should everything she says be treated as gospel just because she is a woman? Hell no.

She is putting forward the same flawed arguments that Jack Thompson did,except she is being paid to spout this bullshit.

Its probably just my cis gendered white male gamer privilege though that is stopping me from seeing her genius.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2015, 11:59 PM
What I take issue with is the "But she's wrong" that is *all* that is offered in response to "She's had death threats". Death threats. Not nuanced criticism or objective nice rebuttals.

I can accept that that's the work of a few trolls but it seems like most gamers I've ever talked to don't take issue with the trolls too much, it's the criticism they can't stand. It's all "Oh, boys will be boys. Mind you Anita hates men and is a total fraud."

Like I said, it's *one* fucking critic. Rolleyes Even if she does hate men, why the fuck does that make *your* panties get in a twist? My feeling is that she hits the mark a lot more often than those who would have us believe she's a mere one dimensional man-hater want to admit. And that hurts.

Not even the fucking republican politicians with their "legitimate rape" comments get hounded like this. By juvenile delinquent idiots. Even when some gamers do dare to breath a word of support the trolls turn on them with no wider outcry from the rest of the gaming community. So from the outside it looks like gamer culture is dominated by trolls.

If gamers as a whole are not a bunch of misogynists, they have certainly got an image problem - that's their problem, not the criticism. One would have hoped that if there was a widespread perception that women were under-represented in games that there would be a drive to produce more games with better representation, instead of which there's a drive to shout down the people who point it out. Bad form.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-02-2015, 12:22 AM
And every time her bullshit and bullying is pointed out the first thing thrown up is "but harassment". Where were the defenders of Jack Thompson when he got death threats?

I have given naunced criticism here as to why she should not be honoured and all the rebuttals where "but she was harrased", "but think of the women". Richard Dawkins gets death threats, hust about any public figure will get death threats if someone gets pissed enough. But because she is a woman it is somehow more credible.

The argument there should be more women in gaming ignores the fact that they have a choice in the matter too. I chose my career, the same way my sister chose hers. No one forced her to take or not take the job just because vagina.

So defend her arguments, as that is what pissed off gamers, not the fact she has a vagina.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
17-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Nuanced criticism means the following:

A. This is factually what Anita said. Here's the reference.
B. This is why she's wrong. Here's the evidence.

But I don't honestly *care* if she's right or wrong at this point. Before you go through the roof Wink Allow me to explain.

Feminist critiques of any culture are nothing new. They're basically anthropological studies. Honestly I don't really care about them too much - if it's something I can do something about I'd be moderately interested but I'm not gonna go burning *my* bra. That shit was expensive.

So along comes Anita Sarkeesian and makes a few youtube movies and gets a bit of money from a kickstarter and gets accused of fraud and yada fucking yada. Couldn't give a toss. If there's fraud someone'll sort it out, I don't really give a shit. Maybe there's systematic misogny in games. I hardly play them, when I do they're pretty fun, I am happy, mostly couldn't give a shit what some lady on the internet says, but yeah, if I notice e.g. that the woman characters in the games I'm playing seem mostly to rely on men to help them then I get a bit peeved - mostly IRL the women I'm attracted to are get-shit-done types so little helpless damsels in distress - I'm more inclined to let them get chomped by a passing dragon.

But where things get annoying is when AS starts getting death and rape threats and developers and others who stand up and say "this is wrong" *do* get harrassed. And then you get these long poisonous comment threads on forums filled with rage from gamers. It's fucking playground shit.

I *still* couldn't give a monkey's for whether Anita's wrong or right or a fraud. She's got literally zero impact in my life. If I watched one of her movies I might find it interesting but that's about it. About as interesting as the wikipedia article on doorknobs. But I do give a shit about this business of harrassment which is not limited just to her, but a *lot* of people who express feminist views, *especially* in relation to games, seem to get harrassed - that is bullshit.

Why do people react so strongly to this? She literally just expressed a viewpoint. What gives? Fucken... she didn't start a war. She didn't advocate killing people. She just said maybe there's a bit of bias in games...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Sure making a lot of noise in this doorknob thread, morondog. Tongue

I kinda like her, she's cute and evil and stuff. Heart

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-02-2015, 01:10 AM
(17-02-2015 01:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sure making a lot of noise in this doorknob thread, morondog. Tongue

I kinda like her, she's cute and evil and stuff. Heart

HELP HELP I'M BEING OPPRESSED!

Big Grin

I get's my knickers in a twist too sometimes Angel

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Blackhand, the way you describe her is not at all like she comes across in her Feminist Frequency videos.

Are you referring to something else that she has said? If so then please provide links.

If not then you are making more strawman arguments than your average theist troll on here.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
17-02-2015, 05:40 AM
(17-02-2015 01:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  I get's my knickers in a twist too sometimes Angel

[Image: josh-dancing-in-underwear-o.gif]

thanks for the mental image Angel ... Blush ... Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
17-02-2015, 06:26 AM
(11-02-2015 04:17 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I am something she is not. I actually am a gamer.

What are you? Twelve?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post