genesis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: genesis
(16-02-2014 05:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 05:52 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Gotta love Rev being current to kick Genesis' ass.

This is like the Bunny slopes of counter-apologetics, it would take less time to list the stuff that is correct in Genesis and that's not even counting the magical shit.

Yeah you can more or less just go through it line by line and so "nope, nope, that's stupid, that's impossible, nope, nope, nope." The cosmology is wrong, the geology is wrong, the history is wrong, the genetics are wrong, the anthropology is wrong...

Why certain jackoffs seem to get off on fetishising the necessary ignorance to pretend anything in it is literally true, I've never been able to understand. Because it's certainly an interesting myth on its own merits. I mean, it's no Theogony or Mahabharata or Kojiki, but still.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-02-2014, 06:17 PM
It involves an omnipotent guy resting, waiting for days to create things, and asking people where they are, that's not a very good start.

Even without science the thing just doesn't make sense; there are plot holes galore. True things tend to not have plot holes.

(16-02-2014 05:30 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Genesis says plants were made by god before the sun.

As was light. And things are referred to as being done in days before it's made.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
16-02-2014, 07:29 PM
And god couldn't win a wrestling match against a man.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I had some Jehova's Witnesses tell me that men have one fewer rib than women and that is proof that the bible is true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
16-02-2014, 08:49 PM
(16-02-2014 08:43 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I had some Jehova's Witnesses tell me that men have one fewer rib than women and that is proof that the bible is true.

My parents thought this was true until I told them. I was hoping that might get them thinking, but nope.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 08:52 PM
(16-02-2014 04:02 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  
Quote:One thing that has been debunked? - How about the entire book of Genesis?
How bout you give me a few

How bout the fucking sun doesn't revolve around the fucking earth. We figured that out something like 500 years ago. Where the hell have you been. HoboLaughat

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Pretty much the entirety of the flood myth. Particularly:
  • There's no evidence of a global flood.
  • There's no way all the species would fit on the ark.
  • There's no way the plants would survive.
  • There's no way the carnivores would be able to sustain their population if they and the herbivores were brought in as pairs (you need a much larger herbivore population to sustain the carnivores).
  • There's no way the animals would have spread across the continents, particularly to the western hemisphere. They were separated by that point.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-02-2014, 10:17 PM
From the Intro thread:

(14-02-2014 11:51 AM)goldenmustache Wrote:  Sup guys looking for a cool place to talk about different things and learn a littleThumbsup

Learn or teach, I wonder.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-02-2014, 08:37 AM
(16-02-2014 04:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 04:02 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  How bout you give me a few

Adam and Eve for starters. We have genetics that prove we evolved from single celled organisms. At no point was any hominid species under 5000 members let alone 2. Human migration starts from central Africa not the middle east.

Well how bout for starters do you know what progressive creationism is? Do you know that the earth is billions of years old. And A creator that built things separate instead of everything that you assume is connected to each other like a chain. Are you arguing evolution because that doesn't make any sense either.
17-02-2014, 08:39 AM
(16-02-2014 05:30 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 04:02 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  How bout you give me a few

Adam and Eve.
Creation of all species in their current forms.
The Firmament.
Genesis says plants were made by god before the sun.

And that, is only four of the many. I'm not too well versed with the Bibal, so I can't really go through it in entirety.

original documents in Hebrew says god has made translated differently into English. which means it doesn't work in order the way you think.