glad I'm out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Rainbow glad I'm out
Soooo, since joining the Thinking Atheist last spring, I've

~Come out on facebook
~Joined several local atheists groups
~Attending 2 Atheists conferences (got a signed Thinking Atheist mug in Denver - thank you Seth A!), and registered for American Atheists in March

I have a friend on FB; raised a Catholic in a very religious family, she recently decided to read about other religions, including a re-reading of the bible and a reading of the Koran. I've quietly watched her posts about her experiences, and wondered how this would end...

Yesterday, unexpectedly, she emailed me - she has found herself going through a deconversion, and I was the only person she felt she could reach out to as she knew for sure of my beilefs. We had a great talk last night, and I'll be getting her hooked up with the meetups in town.

It was a big deal for me to put Atheist on my FB page. While it is not a public page, I have a public job, and I didnt know how folks would react. I know many people cant. But hopefully the more of us that do, the fewer of us that will need to hide it.

So to conclude, I am so very glad I've come out. I'll take the risk and fight it if someone tries to sabotage my reputation or my career because of it.

Hoorah. Big Grin

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 21 users Like Debzilla's post
30-10-2012, 08:22 PM
RE: glad I'm out
It feels good to be comfortable in your own skin, doesn't it?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
30-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I have several friends that are/were closet atheists and that 'oh, you too?' moment is always fun.
[+] 2 users Like thirdangletheory's post
30-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice to read, if I may ask, how long were the shackles on?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
31-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Awesome....

I am un-apologetically atheist as well.
I enjoy the eyebrow raise and pure astonishment when I just let it fly, "I'm an atheist".
It's like they just can't believe that someone would be so open about that position.
The more open we are the more the closet atheist will be comfortable to come out as well. Just like being gay.
Someone has to stand up in the room and announce it as if nothing is "wrong" with that position, because nothing is.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
31-10-2012, 01:32 PM
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Soooo, since joining the Thinking Atheist last spring, I've

~Come out on facebook
~Attending 2 Atheists conferences (got a signed Thinking Atheist mug in Denver - thank you Seth A!), and registered for American Atheists in March

I have a friend on FB; raised a Catholic in a very religious family, she recently decided to read about other religions, including a re-reading of the bible and a reading of the Koran. I've quietly watched her posts about her experiences, and wondered how this would end...

Yesterday, unexpectedly, she emailed me - she has found herself going through a deconversion, and I was the only person she felt she could reach out to as she knew for sure of my beilefs. We had a great talk last night, and I'll be getting her hooked up with the meetups in town.

It was a big deal for me to put Atheist on my FB page. While it is not a public page, I have a public job, and I didnt know how folks would react. I know many people cant. But hopefully the more of us that do, the fewer of us that will need to hide it.

So to conclude, I am so very glad I've come out. I'll take the risk and fight it if someone tries to sabotage my reputation or my career because of it.

Hoorah. Big Grin

Congratulations! That's great! Not only that you came out, but it sounds like you had some influence on your friend as well. Thumbsup

If I wasn't married, I'd have more courage about going public. Unfortunately, if I lost my job over it, I'd be turning more than just my life upside down. My family and friends all know though.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
31-10-2012, 04:10 PM
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Yesterday, unexpectedly, she emailed me - she has found herself going through a deconversion, and I was the only person she felt she could reach out to as she knew for sure of my beilefs. We had a great talk last night, and I'll be getting her hooked up with the meetups in town.
Hoorah. Big Grin

Hoorah, indeed - Good on you Debzilla! You've taken huge steps in a short time; BRAVE is a word I'd use to describe you at this point. Confidence feels pretty good, huh? Wink

All the while your rapid changes were taking place, your friend found a trust in you she never would have attempted to reach out to. Thank you for helping your friend to help herself.

People might give you some shit, but that's ok, you can breathe now and that's worth it. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
31-10-2012, 06:23 PM
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Soooo, since joining the Thinking Atheist last spring, I've

~Come out on facebook

Hoorah. Big Grin

You've almost got me ready to do the same. Who knows, nobody in the family really talks to me much anyway. Maybe they won't even notice.

I just worry about my mother. She got rather emotional and angry when she noticed my nephew leaning toward atheism and me not discouraging it. She may already suspect.

I guess I don't feel emotionally prepared to deal with the consequences. And, after spending a bit more time here (and not much at that) I've come to the realization that I still have a lot to learn about defending my position. I don't know how I would hold up under scrutiny, especially from the fundies in the family. I don't like arguing rationally with folks who don't listen to reason. The whole "you've just got to let him into your heart" business....how do you argue with that? I gave up ages ago. Family is family.

EDIT: Sorry! I should have started that rant with "Congratulations! You're an inspiration to those of us still hiding in anonimity!" Sorry, guess I'm feeling cranky today. Didn't get my nap. Sad

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
31-10-2012, 06:40 PM
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  So to conclude, I am so very glad I've come out. I'll take the risk and fight it if someone tries to sabotage my reputation or my career because of it.

You're an MD. That means you got almost as much mobility as a Computer Scientist. Big Grin

Wouldn't worry much about your reputation or career. Who wants to go to a Doctor that isn't an atheist? ... Consider ... Well, I go to a Hindu, but close enough.

(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Hoorah. Big Grin

Hoorah!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-10-2012, 07:44 PM
(30-10-2012 08:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Nice to read, if I may ask, how long were the shackles on?

Free Thought;
I've been without religion all of my adult life, but other than "no pref" on my dog tags in the military, it was nothing I discussed.

Here is a quote I wrote to explain it:
I am an Atheist. For most of my life, I couldn't say the "A" word: I was doubtful, spiritual, secular, no preference, non-religious, and agnostic, but never THAT. Having embraced the word and acknowledged my beliefs I am today truly emancipated, proud, and at peace.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 2 users Like Debzilla's post