31-10-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: glad I'm out
Debzilla, you're an atheist!
Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 10:27 PM
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  So to conclude, I am so very glad I've come out. I'll take the risk and fight it if someone tries to sabotage my reputation or my career because of it.

Hoorah. Big Grin

Thanks for sharing. I haven't came out yet but I'm really excited to be doing so! I want to make a big deal about it lol. But rather I'm taking it slow because there is my 11 yr old daughter involved. I want her to be the first to know. Then my religious adopted parents. Then my family and friends.

I'm very excited but scared. How scared were you beforehand and was it as scary as it seems?
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
(31-10-2012 10:27 PM)kpax Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:47 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  So to conclude, I am so very glad I've come out. I'll take the risk and fight it if someone tries to sabotage my reputation or my career because of it.

Hoorah. Big Grin

Thanks for sharing. I haven't came out yet but I'm really excited to be doing so! I want to make a big deal about it lol. But rather I'm taking it slow because there is my 11 yr old daughter involved. I want her to be the first to know. Then my religious adopted parents. Then my family and friends.

I'm very excited but scared. How scared were you beforehand and was it as scary as it seems?

It wasn't as scary as it could have been as I didn't take any one big plunge. It was more of a bunch of very small mildly anxiety provoking baby steps. Strangely it was finally saying "I'm an atheist" out loud at all which was the most difficult. But got easy pretty quickly. Good luck talking to your daughter! I've raised mine without religion, so talking about this with them is uber easy.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm happy to call you a fellow atheist, you atheist.

Liberating, isn't it? i did the same thing this year. Oddly, I've never been religious but always decided that not being able to prove no god meant being agnostic rather than atheist, until this year I revisited that belief and relabeled myself and came out too.

(but I must say the rainbow image on the thread made me think you came out of a different closet at first - my lesbian daughter has rainbows everywhere; I guess it's a thing).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
(31-10-2012 07:44 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Free Thought;
I've been without religion all of my adult life, but other than "no pref" on my dog tags in the military, it was nothing I discussed.

Here is a quote I wrote to explain it:
I am an Atheist. For most of my life, I couldn't say the "A" word: I was doubtful, spiritual, secular, no preference, non-religious, and agnostic, but never THAT. Having embraced the word and acknowledged my beliefs I am today truly emancipated, proud, and at peace.

Mine's NORELPREF as well, didn't give it much thought. I am not religious so I have religious preference, the end. If I wound up dying in battle my non-religion has nothing to do with how I want my body disposed of.