god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 08:20 PM
god
A buddy of mine read my blog today and asked why I spell god with a lowercase g instead of a capital.

I responded with: "What drives my spelling is this: when we speak of "gods" such as Roman or Greek gods - we never capitalize - possibly out of acknowledgment that these gods do not exist. Since I view "god" as similarly non-existent, I apply the same "reverance" to the Judeo-Christian god as I would Zeus, Jupiter, Athena, Thor, Oden, etc. I capitalize Yahweh, when referencing this god's personal name, but using "God" would imply respecting a deity that doesn't exist..."

He asked if this was "popular dogma in 'Atheist culture."

I told him I'd check with our coven leader Wink

It is an interesting question though, so I thought I'd pass it along for people to weigh in on...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
22-07-2012, 08:28 PM
RE: god
(22-07-2012 08:20 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  A buddy of mine read my blog today and asked why I spell god with a lowercase g instead of a capital.

I responded with: "What drives my spelling is this: when we speak of "gods" such as Roman or Greek gods - we never capitalize - possibly out of acknowledgment that these gods do not exist. Since I view "god" as similarly non-existent, I apply the same "reverance" to the Judeo-Christian god as I would Zeus, Jupiter, Athena, Thor, Oden, etc. I capitalize Yahweh, when referencing this god's personal name, but using "God" would imply respecting a deity that doesn't exist..."

He asked if this was "popular dogma in 'Atheist culture."

I told him I'd check with our coven leader Wink

It is an interesting question though, so I thought I'd pass it along for people to weigh in on...
I capitalize cuz of habit. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Well since Stark is our head warlock, his word would have to be final.

But Sean, I agree with you. In the past, if I typed "god" I would feel compelled to capitalize it. Now I find I correct myself if I type "God" for the very reason that you gave your friend. It makes little sense to perpetuate reverence for a non-existent entity.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Never.
I also add an "s" in parentheses usually, ..god(s), and if I use a personal pronoun, I always say "she", or "her".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2012, 10:38 PM
I capitalize it because it's grammatically proper. Whether or not my mother's name is actually Mom, it's capitalized if I'm referring to her by that as a title. Same with God. In fact, I even go so far as the capital H in He because it is typically expressed this way grammatically, not because it is deserving of some sort of special respect.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using lowercase letters, if that's where you want to draw your battleline (or if you're grammatically lazy).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
22-07-2012, 11:24 PM
(22-07-2012 10:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I capitalize it because it's grammatically proper. Whether or not my mother's name is actually Mom, it's capitalized if I'm referring to her by that as a title. Same with God. In fact, I even go so far as the capital H in He because it is typically expressed this way grammatically, not because it is deserving of some sort of special respect.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using lowercase letters, if that's where you want to draw your battleline (or if you're grammatically lazy).

But do you follow that same rule when you speak about Zeus? Was he a God or a god? When we use the word God/god, we aren't using anyone's name. Zeus was thought to be a god and YHWH was thought to be a god. Neither was real. I don't find it grammatically lazy at all to let my writing reflect that.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-07-2012, 05:03 AM
I'm with Starcrash. If you're speaking about the gods of a polytheistic pantheon, you're not referring to anyone in particular, hence the pluralisation. Same if you're speaking in general (I sometimes will say god(s), which isn't exhaustive because people also worship spirits). But God is one. It's like if we called Him Tim. Even Him is used a name. Hell we capitalise the names of buildings, why not the Almighty Creator of the Universe?

But hey. Whatever floats yer boat. If the cutting edge of protest is lower case letters, so be it Cool

I myself am gonna flip the script. I'm going low to the upper. gOD. What what! Take that eRXOMAI and sEASBURY!

pEACE aND lOVE aND eMPATHY,

mATT
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
23-07-2012, 05:21 AM
(22-07-2012 11:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 10:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I capitalize it because it's grammatically proper. Whether or not my mother's name is actually Mom, it's capitalized if I'm referring to her by that as a title. Same with God. In fact, I even go so far as the capital H in He because it is typically expressed this way grammatically, not because it is deserving of some sort of special respect.

But do you follow that same rule when you speak about Zeus? Was he a God or a god? When we use the word God/god, we aren't using anyone's name. Zeus was thought to be a god and YHWH was thought to be a god. Neither was real. I don't find it grammatically lazy at all to let my writing reflect that.
Yes, I do the same with Zeus... it's a name, after all. If people called Zeus "God" rather than "a god", I would also capitalize it in that case. Again, it isn't about respect or existence. I can capitalize Santa Claus' name freely without ascribing him reality or worship.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
23-07-2012, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 05:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-07-2012 05:21 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 11:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But do you follow that same rule when you speak about Zeus? Was he a God or a god? When we use the word God/god, we aren't using anyone's name. Zeus was thought to be a god and YHWH was thought to be a god. Neither was real. I don't find it grammatically lazy at all to let my writing reflect that.
Yes, I do the same with Zeus... it's a name, after all. If people called Zeus "God" rather than "a god", I would also capitalize it in that case. Again, it isn't about respect or existence. I can capitalize Santa Claus' name freely without ascribing him reality or worship.
So then I assume you also capitalize "he" when you are speaking of Zeus, and Santa Claus, and why stop there ? Every time you use the word, then, why would you NOT capitalize it ? Do you capitalize it when speaking of Allah ? Actually the rule in grammar is that monotheistic deities are to be capitalized. Since we know the Yahweh god was in a pantheon of gods up until around 500 BCE, I guess, strictly speaking, it would be appropriate to begin capitalizing the name and the pronoun when referencing the deity, depending on what period in history one is speaking about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-07-2012, 06:17 AM
I reckon monotheistic gods are just some among many gods i.e. they are all the same to me whether mono- or poly-, so, no need to capitalise.

I even do this verbally by saying e.g. "your god" and not "The God".

It's a demonstration of disrespect ... disrespect for the gods but not disrespect for the person I'm talking to (although it is often taken as such... oh dear, how sad, nevermind)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post