god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 06:41 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: god
(23-07-2012 06:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's a demonstration of disrespect ... disrespect for the gods but not disrespect for the person I'm talking to (although it is often taken as such... oh dear, how sad, nevermind)
That's why I say "her". It both pokes them in the eye about male chauvinism, and patriarchal assumptions, as well as just generally bugs the shit out of 'em. Tongue If they push it, I ask what god's testosterone levels are.

Also grammar is not absolute. It's constantly changing. (Is e.e.cummings "ungrammatical?)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 06:47 AM by Seasbury.)
(23-07-2012 05:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I'm with Starcrash. If you're speaking about the gods of a polytheistic pantheon, you're not referring to anyone in particular, hence the pluralisation. Same if you're speaking in general (I sometimes will say god(s), which isn't exhaustive because people also worship spirits). But God is one. It's like if we called Him Tim. Even Him is used a name. Hell we capitalise the names of buildings, why not the Almighty Creator of the Universe?

But hey. Whatever floats yer boat. If the cutting edge of protest is lower case letters, so be it Cool

I myself am gonna flip the script. I'm going low to the upper. gOD. What what! Take that eRXOMAI and sEASBURY!

pEACE aND lOVE aND eMPATHY,

mATT
Matt, matt, mATT,

Ever the contrarian my Canadian friend Smile

Your response implies acknowledgment of an "Almighty Creator of the Universe" -- which, if such a being existed, would be endowed the respect of a Capital G GOD.

I've no such knowledge or belief in such a deity.

Not sure how referring to "god" with a lower-case "g" works as "cutting edge" protest - it is simply acknowledges that I do not bestow respect for non-existent deities.

Yahweh, Jehovah - personal name - requires a capital letter. The Santa Claus reference receives the same treatment -- since that does equate to proper English.

If I say Zeus in Greek mythology was the god of thunder, is that not the same as saying Yahweh was the war god of the Hebrew tribe?

I could go on, but I think the rationale is sound... Drinking Beverage

One alibi: The way I see a "G"od reference working is if you actually believe such a "God" exists and you choose not to subscribe. "G" acknowledges the reality of the being and the willful disbelief in "H"im/"H"er/"I"t...at least in my opinion -- if that rises to the level of "Protest," so be It Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 07:14 AM
What the fuck, people? Seriously?

god = noun
God = proper noun

The Abrahamic god is called God. That's its name (along with Jehovah, Yahweh, G-d, Allah). If you had a dog and called it Dog, it's name would be Dog, even though it is still a dog. Referring to other dogs by the name Dog would be grammatically sloppy of you. Referring to your own dog, you'd use the word "dog" in an expression such as "my dog just shat on the carpet" and you'd use word "Dog" in an expression such as "fuck it, Dog, did you just shit on the carpet?"

Capitalising the "h" for words such as "He" or "Him" is what fuckwadded bible-bashers do. Nobody else should do that... unless they're really confused about the differences between nouns and proper nouns...
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
23-07-2012, 07:46 AM
(23-07-2012 07:14 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  What the fuck, people? Seriously?

god = noun
God = proper noun

The Abrahamic god is called God. That's its name (along with Jehovah, Yahweh, G-d, Allah). If you had a dog and called it Dog, it's name would be Dog, even though it is still a dog. Referring to other dogs by the name Dog would be grammatically sloppy of you. Referring to your own dog, you'd use the word "dog" in an expression such as "my dog just shat on the carpet" and you'd use word "Dog" in an expression such as "fuck it, Dog, did you just shit on the carpet?"

Capitalising the "h" for words such as "He" or "Him" is what fuckwadded bible-bashers do. Nobody else should do that... unless they're really confused about the differences between nouns and proper nouns...
Allah is not really an Abrahamic god, even though they claim she is. Bible-bashers, are people who "bash" the bible. Did you mean bible thumpers ? A bible basher would specifically NOT use a capital H. As some stated above, the use of a small g, is overt intended disrespect. Language serves us. We are not controlled by it. So we get to do whatever we want. And I disagree. If I said to my puppy, "damnit (you) dog, you just pee'd on the rug", I would be referring to his general species classification, and those are not capitalized.
If I reject gods and speak only of the general classification, it is correct not to capitalize the word.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-07-2012, 08:00 AM
(23-07-2012 07:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Allah is not really an Abrahamic god, even though they claim she is. Bible-bashers, are people who "bash" the bible. Did you mean bible thumpers ? A bible basher would specifically NOT use a capital H. As some stated above, the use of a small g, is overt intended disrespect. Language serves us. We are not controlled by it. So we get to do whatever we want. And I disagree. If I said to my puppy, "damnit (you) dog, you just pee'd on the rug", I would be referring to his general species classification, and those are not capitalized.
If I reject gods and speak only of the general classification, it is correct not to capitalize the word.
Allah most certainly is an Abrahamic god. Bible bashers = thumpers; it is the act of hitting the bible when making a statement. The capitalisation of the "g" is not about disrespect. It is about stupid people who need to improve their linguistic talents. You should, for instance, say Thor, Anubis, Zoroaster, Mithras etc because they are proper nouns.
23-07-2012, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 08:45 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-07-2012 08:00 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 07:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Allah is not really an Abrahamic god, even though they claim she is. Bible-bashers, are people who "bash" the bible. Did you mean bible thumpers ? A bible basher would specifically NOT use a capital H. As some stated above, the use of a small g, is overt intended disrespect. Language serves us. We are not controlled by it. So we get to do whatever we want. And I disagree. If I said to my puppy, "damnit (you) dog, you just pee'd on the rug", I would be referring to his general species classification, and those are not capitalized.
Allah most certainly is an Abrahamic god. Bible bashers = thumpers; it is the act of hitting the bible when making a statement. The capitalisation of the "g" is not about disrespect. It is about stupid people who need to improve their linguistic talents. You should, for instance, say Thor, Anubis, Zoroaster, Mithras etc because they are proper nouns.
Sorry. When I bash something, I am "putting it down". Bible bashing and bible thumping are the opposite. Bible thumping means promoting the bible.
And too bad you know nothing about Islam. It is a moon-god cult. Part of their faith system *says* they have the same god. In fact Comparative Mythology knows that is false.

Edit. I see I am wrong about this particular use if "bash". Apology. Red Celt is right about the "basher". It came from Australia/New Zealand,, and IS synonymous in this context , meaning someone who strikes the Bible, (similar to a thumper), to emphasize the authority of that book, during a sermon.
Goes to show, all language is relative.
And if I chose to use the uncapitalized word "god", as a form of disrespect, then that's what it is, it is deliberate, and has nothing to do with laziness.

23-07-2012, 08:33 AM
(23-07-2012 07:14 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  What the fuck, people? Seriously?

god = noun
God = proper noun

RC -- I'm not familiar with the name "God" for the Abrahamic god. Not being argumentative - just not familiar with it. I looked up the dictionary definition of "god:"

God
noun
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
Christian Science . the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.

It is the rendering (1) of the Hebrew _'El_, from a word meaning to be strong; (2) of _'Eloah_, plural _'Elohim_. The singular form, _Eloah_, is used only in poetry. The plural form is more commonly used in all parts of the Bible, The Hebrew word Jehovah (q.v.), the only other word generally employed to denote the Supreme Being, is uniformly rendered in the Authorized Version by "LORD," printed in small capitals.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/god

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
23-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Hmm.. I've been using "Gawd" all the time. I'll have to correct myself from now on.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
23-07-2012, 09:10 AM
(23-07-2012 09:03 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Hmm.. I've been using "Gawd" all the time. I'll have to correct myself from now on.

Yes. It should be "gawd".

Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:Yes. It should be "gawd".

[Image: tongue.gif]
I will accept your wise repremand, good sir!
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post