god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 09:27 AM
RE: god
Arguing over minutiae. Once again I feel like I'm back in church. Sad

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't capitalize god because I don't want to. So there.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
23-07-2012, 09:42 AM
(23-07-2012 08:33 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  RC -- I'm not familiar with the name "God" for the Abrahamic god. Not being argumentative - just not familiar with it. I looked up the dictionary definition of "god:"

God
noun
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

That first definition renders the rest of the definitions rather moot, doesn't it? Smile I wonder what religion that particular dictionary author belongs to... and remember that dictionaries have authors, who are human beings, who bring their own prejudices to their job.

It is used as the name of their god. When used as a name, it should be capitalised. When not used as a name, it shouldn't. Same with every other proper noun. This is the context that is used in the secular world (outside of theists v atheists) and God always refers to the name of the Abrahamic god.

As for Islam being Abrahamic... Judeo-Christian = Judaism & Christianity, whilst Abrahamic = Judaism, Christianity and Islam as their people all claim descent from Abraham, whether through his wife or his slave. Islam may well have a moon god at its roots, much as Christianity originally refers to a sun god; but it is firmly included by the term Abrahamic.

I mean, you can use "god" as a testimony to your low consideration for the Abrahamic religions, but it feels too much like a hissy tantrum, to me. Do you also do the same for all other proper nouns? I mean, the guy is a complete tool, so should I write "george w bush" instead of "George W Bush"? It's Zeus, not zeus... not because I believe he existed, nor admire his worshippers. It's just his name.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 10:13 AM
(22-07-2012 10:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I capitalize it because it's grammatically proper. Whether or not my mother's name is actually Mom, it's capitalized if I'm referring to her by that as a title. Same with God. In fact, I even go so far as the capital H in He because it is typically expressed this way grammatically, not because it is deserving of some sort of special respect.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using lowercase letters, if that's where you want to draw your battleline (or if you're grammatically lazy).

This.

It has nothing to do with respect. It's just grammatically accurate. Refusal to capitalize out of spite is equally as silly as Christians refusing to capitalize Satan's name.

It's grammar. Nothing more.

His name is "God". His name is "He". His name is "Lord".

etc
etc
etc

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-07-2012, 10:17 AM
(23-07-2012 10:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 10:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I capitalize it because it's grammatically proper. Whether or not my mother's name is actually Mom, it's capitalized if I'm referring to her by that as a title. Same with God. In fact, I even go so far as the capital H in He because it is typically expressed this way grammatically, not because it is deserving of some sort of special respect.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using lowercase letters, if that's where you want to draw your battleline (or if you're grammatically lazy).

This.

It has nothing to do with respect. It's just grammatically accurate. Refusal to capitalize out of spite is equally as silly as Christians refusing to capitalize Satan's name.

etc
etc
etc

Huh? His name is "he"? What?

God is a word that encompasses hundreds of concepts and not a proper name.

He is a pronoun that applies to masculine entities.

Lord is an english title.

None of these are proper names, hence none of then need to be capitalized.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-07-2012, 10:23 AM
(23-07-2012 10:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

This.

etc
etc
etc
GOD! I feel like I opened up yet another can of worms...atheists suck! Wink

KC - I can only respond that your name for him is God... Smile

But the thing that hurts the most is making Erx feel like he's back in church...sorry buddy Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
23-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Thank you, Seasbury, for opening up a can of worms.

If it is true that it is historically accurate to refer to any male deity as a capital H "He" then I have no problem writing it as such, even when referring to Allah... after all, I feel no need to give greater respect or disrespect to any fictional character.

And I mean it when I say there's no need for disrespect. Why be so flippant and rebellious against a non-entity? I can imagine addressing a soldier of a higher rank and telling him that you will not use "sir" because you find him unworthy of the title, but how can you argue for thinking a nonexistent soldier has been immoral enough to not earn it? You guys are treating the bible as if it contains real stories about an immoral deity, rather than a mythical one. There's no need to harbor hatred, disrespect, or enmity towards a piece of fiction.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
23-07-2012, 10:31 AM
(23-07-2012 09:42 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  it feels too much like a hissy tantrum, to me.
Great.

Then don't do it. Stop telling other people what they *should* do. Language is not monolithic, and not unchanging. Dictionaries are updated every year.

If I choose to have a hissy tantrum, I'll have one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-07-2012, 10:32 AM
(23-07-2012 10:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 10:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This.

etc
etc
etc

Huh? His name is "he"? What?

Yep.

When God is referenced as a pronoun it becomes a proper noun. Yahweh is known by so many names and titles that any reference to Him becomes a proper noun because it is one of His names.

It's also has to do with not being able to call God by His name, so if the pronoun was used there had to be a differentiation to show that you are talking about "Yahweh".

But, even if none of this convinces you, the simple fact is that it's an English grammar rule. Like it or not... it is.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-07-2012, 11:01 AM
(23-07-2012 10:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 10:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Huh? His name is "he"? What?

Yep.

When God is referenced as a pronoun it becomes a proper noun. Yahweh is known by so many names and titles that any reference to Him becomes a proper noun because it is one of His names.

It's also has to do with not being able to call God by His name, so if the pronoun was used there had to be a differentiation to show that you are talking about "Yahweh".

But, even if none of this convinces you, the simple fact is that it's an English grammar rule. Like it or not... it is.

I disagree. He is not a name, it's a pronoun. I simply do not agree with you on the basis of grammar.

God is a noun that applies to hundreds of different concepts. It's not anyone's name.

The usage of "he" is always correctly the grammatical use of a pronoun, just like him etc. You probably capitalize "him" too. Even though it's a personal pronoun as indirect or direct object.