god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2012, 11:04 AM
RE: god
(23-07-2012 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 10:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yep.

When God is referenced as a pronoun it becomes a proper noun. Yahweh is known by so many names and titles that any reference to Him becomes a proper noun because it is one of His names.

It's also has to do with not being able to call God by His name, so if the pronoun was used there had to be a differentiation to show that you are talking about "Yahweh".

But, even if none of this convinces you, the simple fact is that it's an English grammar rule. Like it or not... it is.

I disagree. He is not a name, it's a pronoun. I simply do not agree with you on the basis of grammar.

God is a noun that applies to hundreds of different concepts. It's not anyone's name.

The usage of "he" is always correctly the grammatical use of a pronoun, just like him etc. You probably capitalize "him" too. Even though it's a personal pronoun as indirect or direct object.

Anything can be a proper noun... even a pronoun. When referencing Yahweh, any incarnation of His name should be capitalized per grammar rules. Aforementioned, this is because God is known by a bajillion names.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 11:12 AM
(23-07-2012 11:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  I disagree. He is not a name, it's a pronoun. I simply do not agree with you on the basis of grammar.

God is a noun that applies to hundreds of different concepts. It's not anyone's name.

The usage of "he" is always correctly the grammatical use of a pronoun, just like him etc. You probably capitalize "him" too. Even though it's a personal pronoun as indirect or direct object.

Anything can be a proper noun... even a pronoun. When referencing Yahweh, any incarnation of His name should be capitalized per grammar rules. Aforementioned, this is because God is known by a bajillion names.
I am so not with you on that one. I treat God the same way I treat Zeus. Neither should have a pronoun become a proper noun. To do so, you are preaching from a theistic church that I will never be a part of.

Imagine a worshipper of Zeus making the same claim about any discussions of Him (and I really mean "him").
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 11:25 AM
(23-07-2012 11:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Anything can be a proper noun... even a pronoun. When referencing Yahweh, any incarnation of His name should be capitalized per grammar rules. Aforementioned, this is because God is known by a bajillion names.

Zeus is a proper name. Yahweh is a proper name. Jesus is a proper name. Words such as pronouns that can apply to any of the above are definitely not proper names.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-07-2012, 09:05 PM
(23-07-2012 11:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-07-2012 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
So it's ok to capitalize "Superman", "Iron Man", "Batman", "Hulk", etc?
All of them have their names (Clark Kent, Anthony Stark, Bruce Wayne, etc.)

It's the same with "God", isn't? His name is "YHVH" or "Jehová".
<edit>... or Mahoma, or Zeus, etc. depending on who you ask</edit>
Same rule apply, I think... but since English is not my first language I could be wrong.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
24-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Bullshit. His name ain't "God." That's an asinine attempt by the xtians to promote the primacy of their delusion.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-08-2012, 05:39 PM
(24-07-2012 06:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Bullshit. His name ain't "God." That's an asinine attempt by the xtians to promote the primacy of their delusion.

As you can see, from day 1, someone started telling us what we could or could not do.
Am tempted to say "good riddance". but I would not know if I should say :
Good Riddance.

good riddance

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I use the lower case g most of the time when referring to god or a god. I agree that most proper names, I too would spell capiltalized, like Zeus, Odin, Thor, etc

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-08-2012, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 07:48 PM by fstratzero.)
I use a lower case. Why? Because the term god is not a specific name. All monotheistic religions have god from Zoastrinism to Christianity.

That and it's easy not to capitalize. Yay!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp