god in sports

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2011, 08:18 PM
god in sports
So I'm watching the Super Bowl right now. Packers are faring better than I had hoped Smile But I notice that before and after every single play, one player or another points to the sky. What kind of perfect god leaves homeless people in the street? Millions of people are starving to death, war and pestilence abound, and this perfect god these guys are crediting is sitting on his ass watching them? This is another reason I am an atheist. The god that the average christian describes to me is a real dick and a serious layabout. And another thing, if this god makes them play so well, why do the athletes bother to practice? Wouldn't their time be better spent on their knees, convincing their sponsor that they are more worthy than their opponent?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
RE: god in sports
Most things to do with sports are ridiculous.

A funny thing though; Rugby players vs American football players when it comes to god.
Most Rugby players are from secular countries and they play with a shirt and shorts. American football players come from a christian country and they all wear massive armoured jackets and helmets.
Trust in god?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Intellegent posts - 2
God - 0

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Athletes pray to god before games usually because they are very nervouse and it can be intimidating. Especially because fans can be harassing if they play badly. Yeah I know what you mean and even if god did exist he should spend time focusing on all our problems such as diminishing natural resources rather than helping people win games.
07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Until this very day, I've thought that the Super Bowl is a bowling competition...
But why call it ''Super Bowl'' if they're playing American football instead of bowling?

An athlete wants to thank a god that s/he belives in? No problem, go ahead. It's ridiculous, but not more ridiculous than thanking a god for the stuff that they're usually thanked for.

And could somebody re-link the CollegeHumour video with the atheist football player? It was hilarious.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
07-02-2011, 12:09 PM

This one?:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944298

So silly how the athletes pray before and after they play. Like, if there is a God, he would care about a stupid game. Par for the course though, the theists don't think a whole lot about these things, they just pray for their own peace of mind in everything they do.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
(07-02-2011 12:05 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Until this very day, I've thought that the Super Bowl is a bowling competition...
But why call it ''Super Bowl'' if they're playing American football instead of bowling?

An athlete wants to thank a god that s/he belives in? No problem, go ahead. It's ridiculous, but not more ridiculous than thanking a god for the stuff that they're usually thanked for.

And could somebody re-link the CollegeHumour video with the atheist football player? It was hilarious.
The reason we have a Super Bowl and many college level "bowl" games in American football is due to an old stadium called the Rose Bowl. I don't know why the stadium had "Rose" in the name, but I know it looked like a bowl, and many championship games were played there. So now all our important football games are called "bowls."

It's not a problem that they wish to thank their god. I was just pointing out the humor in it. Smile And perhaps the egotism.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
07-02-2011, 04:12 PM

The position of the jumbotron in the Cowboys's Stadium makes it appear as if the athletes are looking up to God far more frequently than they actually are.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
It's pretty demeaning to put your athletic performance into god's hands. That's right up there with thanking god for finding your car keys.
07-02-2011, 06:46 PM
(07-02-2011 06:36 PM)Sierra Wrote:  It's pretty demeaning to put your athletic performance into god's hands. That's right up there with thanking god for finding your car keys.

^My mother does this every other day

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.