god said to do it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 08:52 AM
god said to do it!
NEWS STORY: A Hawkins County Grand Jury said a woman, who was arrested earlier this year for driving her car into a church and stabbing her husband, claiming that God told her to do it, will not face attempted first-degree murder and felony vandalism charges.

According to Third District Assistant District Attorney Lindsey Lane, the case of Stephanie Hamman was presented to a grand jury on Dec. 8, where they did not find enough evidence to move forward with the case.

I guess if you believe in god, you'd have to think it's possible god told her to do it, so how could you proceed with any court case against her? In a christian infested county, the "god told me to do it" defense could work! Wonder what god is going to say next???? We may find out because she's free! Will we ever get to the point that we see this a mental illness the same way we would if she said Elvis told me to? Gud help us!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: god said to do it!
(18-12-2014 08:52 AM)Toney Wrote:  NEWS STORY: A Hawkins County Grand Jury said a woman, who was arrested earlier this year for driving her car into a church and stabbing her husband, claiming that God told her to do it, will not face attempted first-degree murder and felony vandalism charges.

According to Third District Assistant District Attorney Lindsey Lane, the case of Stephanie Hamman was presented to a grand jury on Dec. 8, where they did not find enough evidence to move forward with the case.

I guess if you believe in god, you'd have to think it's possible god told her to do it, so how could you proceed with any court case against her? In a christian infested county, the "god told me to do it" defense could work! Wonder what god is going to say next???? We may find out because she's free! Will we ever get to the point that we see this a mental illness the same way we would if she said Elvis told me to? Gud help us!

Please post link, I find this hard to believe in spite of my faith in believer's Christinsanity.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-12-2014, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 12:43 PM by Chas.)
(18-12-2014 08:52 AM)Toney Wrote:  NEWS STORY: A Hawkins County Grand Jury said a woman, who was arrested earlier this year for driving her car into a church and stabbing her husband, claiming that God told her to do it, will not face attempted first-degree murder and felony vandalism charges.

I don't believe you have this right. The crime was not committed before Dec. 8, so that can't be true.

Edit: Story datelined Dec 18 was quoting a March story.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Charges against a Hawkins County woman accused of stabbing her husband in a church have been dropped.

Prosecutors charged Stephanie Faye Hamman with attempted first degree murder, aggravated assault, and felony vandalism earlier this year.

In March, police say Hamman drove her vehicle through the church across the street from her and her husband's apartment.

PREVIOUS: Woman drives through church, stabs husband on the altar

Her husband went to check on her. He said she was lying on the altar. When he got close, police said Hamman stabbed her husband.

She told police the devil told her to drive through the church.

Prosecutors are dropping the case because she's claiming insanity.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/201.../20574033/
18-12-2014, 10:20 AM
(18-12-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Prosecutors are dropping the case because she's claiming insanity.

For once, the insanity claim sounds right.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-12-2014, 10:26 AM
(18-12-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Prosecutors are dropping the case because she's claiming insanity.

It's funny how millions of other people also believe an invisible, evil man forces them to do bad things, but it doesn't count as insanity for them. Guess they're only okay with being called insane if it gets them out of jail time.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
18-12-2014, 11:02 AM
(18-12-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  She told police the devil told her to drive through the church.

And you followed the devil's instructions because...?

I expect that a psych evaluation has been performed and found that she's crazy aside from here religion. The prequel article to the one that Tomasia posted states that she stabbed her husband because she was angry the he was "worshiping NASCAR".

Sounds like she may well be knitting with only one needle and a high security psych ward may be a much more appropriate environment than a prison.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
18-12-2014, 11:51 AM
(18-12-2014 10:26 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It's funny how millions of other people also believe an invisible, evil man forces them to do bad things, but it doesn't count as insanity for them. Guess they're only okay with being called insane if it gets them out of jail time.

Well, that's a good way to trivialize mental illness.

In reality it's not the beliefs that makes one insane, but whether those beliefs are the result of something like psychosis, or mania, conditions for which medication can be taken to reduce the effects of.

The reason why people can believe things you view as silly, or even ridiculous without being sane, is because we're not biologically programmed to accept what is true, based on some singular methodology, whether someone should trust the writers of some book written hundreds of years ago, or scientist, or that which is a product of scientifically rigorous investigation, i.e clearly defined terminology, quantifiability, highly controlled experimental conditions, reproducibility, predictability and testability.

Questions such as how much trust should one put in their own subjective experiences, is merely a matter of choice and not a question of sanity.
18-12-2014, 12:58 PM
(18-12-2014 11:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 10:26 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It's funny how millions of other people also believe an invisible, evil man forces them to do bad things, but it doesn't count as insanity for them. Guess they're only okay with being called insane if it gets them out of jail time.

Well, that's a good way to trivialize mental illness.

In reality it's not the beliefs that makes one insane, but whether those beliefs are the result of something like psychosis, or mania, conditions for which medication can be taken to reduce the effects of.

The reason why people can believe things you view as silly, or even ridiculous without being sane, is because we're not biologically programmed to accept what is true, based on some singular methodology, whether someone should trust the writers of some book written hundreds of years ago, or scientist, or that which is a product of scientifically rigorous investigation, i.e clearly defined terminology, quantifiability, highly controlled experimental conditions, reproducibility, predictability and testability.

Questions such as how much trust should one put in their own subjective experiences, is merely a matter of choice and not a question of sanity.

So you can take meds to reduce belief ?
Wow. That would be great. Egor needs his increased.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...elief.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Video RE: god said to do it!
(18-12-2014 08:55 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Please post link, I find this hard to believe in spite of my faith in believer's Christinsanity.

http://wate.com/2014/12/17/hawkins-co-wo...m-charges/