god traps the wise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 12:29 PM by purpledaisies.)
god traps the wise
I posted a picture of a church sign that reads, "the more educated we become, the further away from god we become".
This is the response I got. I'd like to know what context this is taken and why would god want to trap the wise?
1 Corinthians 3:19:For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, "He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness."
There may be others related. This is the first one I found. Basically, when one becomes so absorbed with their own "knowledge", they no longer have faith, nor rely on God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
09-05-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 06:49 PM by SitaSky.)
RE: god traps the wise
It's just a trick to continue believing since the mystical and magical stories of the Bible have been destroyed by science at this point it's so much easier to just believe we came from two people then to study evolutionary biology for example and realize you've been lied to all your life. It's also easier to just think a magical deity exists that created everything than have to look up and say "I don't know." even if that is the brave and honest answer.

There are many Bible verses that actually promote knowledge and learning:

Proverbs:
6 To understand a proverb and a figure, The words of the wise and their riddles. 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. 8 Hear, my son, your father's instruction And do not forsake your mother's teaching

Daniel 2:21 :
He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings;he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;

Unfortunately there are some verses that are the opposite and make it seem like trying to learn more is a wicked thing indeed.Even the story in Genesis of the fall of man is all about trying to learn something that is forbidden, why does God want to keep us ignorant and stupid? Seems he likes for us to just be brainwashed sheep, Jesus is the Shepard after all. I'd rather not be a mind slave but it seems that's all Christians want, to be as close to the original Adam and Eve model that God created in Eden. Yet another reason free will means nothing to Christians and their god.

But fact is if God is real the more we learn about our world, the universe and life the closer we should be getting to God and proving his existence. The way our reality is points to there being no God or perhaps a God that doesn't want us to know he is real, has hidden his tracks very well and gave us a morally suspicious and scientifically ignorant book as some sort of guide to find him. Perhaps it's just a big joke, he's just yukking up with Satan right now, throwing back some beers.

So, either he wants us to think he's not real or he's not actually real. Either way anyone who refuses to learn more about science and dismisses anything that may disprove the Bible is only doing themselves and their community a disservice. You can have faith and learn more about science, if you end up losing your faith it wasn't that strong to begin with and as Carl Sagan said "Anything that can be destroyed by the truth, should be destroyed by the truth."

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
(09-05-2016 06:13 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I posted a picture of a church sign that reads, "the more educated we become, the further away from we become".
This is the response I got. I'd like to know what context this is taken and why would god want to trap the wise?
1 Corinthians 3:19:For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, "He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness."
There may be others related. This is the first one I found. Basically, when one becomes so absorbed with their own "knowledge", they no longer have faith, nor rely on God.

Satan gave man wisdom. Much like Prometheus gave man fire.

The bible advises against knowledge and belittles science. Of course, right. Smile

Milton tried desperately in Paradise lost to prove god good. Instead Satan became the hero and god a tyrant. God wisbed to deny man knowledge due to his fear man would one day become as a god.

We have since visited the moon and space travel normal. God however was unable to deal with iron chariots.

Man has surpassed god. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 9 users Like Banjo's post
09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
(09-05-2016 06:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  We have since visited the moon and space travel normal. God however was unable to deal with iron chariots.
Hear, hear.
09-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Now its Satan that someone is telling me that traps us.
09-05-2016, 07:37 PM
(09-05-2016 07:20 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Now its Satan that someone is telling me that traps us.

I debated a Christian once, she said something like "You can't really be happy without God's love." and I said "I'm happy as an atheist, I feel much better than I did as a theist and actually I felt trapped ,etc." and she said "Satan wants you to be happy, that way you will never know pain and then seek god."

I told her she has no idea the pain I've had to go through in my life, the worst of it was after I became an atheist and still I didn't seek God or even see his work in my life, also if Satan wants me to be happy does that mean god wants me to be unhappy? He sounds like a real jerk then. She backed up and was all "No, what I meant is Satan will fool you and then God will show you real joy and love...even though you do have that in your life..and Satan wants you to be unhappy but not too unhappy...it's like you're empty without god and he'll fill you with love...but you have to come to him empty and sad..." Facepalm like yeah, you're stupid and you clearly don't know what god or Satan wants.

They just flip it around when needed, really the way they spin it god and satan are totally interchangeable, they want us to be stupid and smart, happy and sad, loved and unloved, etc. How about you just let us live our lives and stop talking about imaginary people and grow up.

[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Satan gets all the blame. However god claimed to have created evil. "I the lord do these things."

Job shows plainly that Satan is a servant of god. Xians really don't know the bible.

Sad, really.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-05-2016, 08:12 PM
(09-05-2016 08:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Satan gets all the blame. However god claimed to have created evil. "I the lord do these things."

Job shows plainly that Satan is a servant of god. Xians really don't know the bible.

Sad, really.
Good point. I forgot about that.
09-05-2016, 08:23 PM

There more education the better. Truth will never stay on a way of my faith if my faith is true.
For example, the more I learn about evolution the more truth I know. But this truth does not contradict my faith.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-05-2016, 08:39 PM
(09-05-2016 08:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  ........................

There more education the better. Truth will never stay on a way of my faith if my faith is true.
For example, the more I learn about evolution the more truth I know. But this truth does not contradict my faith.

You're going in already assuming your faith is true so everything has to either fit your faith or you re-define your beliefs to fit new information so now it's true even if it means changing your holy scriptures to fit modern information. You just move the goal posts further out until your faith and the facts fit each other nicely even if it means being dishonest and willfully misunderstanding basic concepts like evolution so your pre-conceived notions are still true.

The truth isn't true because we want it to be and it feels good, it's true because it simply is and no amount of "faith" can change it or make you somehow noble because you refuse to face reality. Your opinion of what is true should change based on new information, if it doesn't you are being dishonest and living in a state of denial that is comforting to you. A comforting lie is still a lie, faith is just a belief without evidence, that is not the truth.

[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post