god traps the wise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 01:03 PM
RE: god traps the wise
(28-06-2017 11:05 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 06:02 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Life is horrible and the human world is a stinking pit of mediocrity and shame.

Don't you get enough cable channels were you live?
My problem, arguably, is that I get TOO MANY cable channels. 250 channels and nothing's on but the banal and the absurd and the alarming. My wife is far better at embracing the absurd than I am. She watches it for entertainment sometimes. Personally, just coming off a week and a half of vacation, I felt so rejuvenated by that amount of time disconnected that I may well let the Trumpocalypse and all the other bullshit in the world go; I don't need nor do I benefit from my daily dose of it.

The stupid!! It burns us!!

Before this last US election cycle I thought that fact-based and progressive thinking had reached some kind of critical mass and was finally establishing a saner, if still imperfect, world. But now, especially given that authoritarianism and nationalism are re-asserting themselves not just in 'Murica but worldwide, I see that humanity is far more primitive and self-destructive than even I thought it was.

When I left theism, I did my best to leave my pessimism about human nature behind, but events of the last 12 months have provided empirical evidence that my pessimism was accurate, even if at the time, ill-founded. It's not that we are all lovers of depravity incurring the wrath of an angry god; it's that we're simply human. Perhaps the most painful fact is that I suck as much as everyone else. I'm not the man I was, and probably never was that man to begin with.

I know that in theory I should be turned into some sort of activist by all this but I'm old and tired and can't spare the energy. If the US can't see the stark contrast between Sanders and Clinton, much less Sanders and Trump (or even Clinton and Trump!), I don't know what I can usefully do to help it succeed. The constant clown-car parade of dipshit True Believers here is something I may have to detach from a bit more, too. Even though I know it's a sampling flaw and that most people are far more reasonable, it is deeply disturbing that so many of my fellow humans are so addicted to demonstrably failed epistemological approaches and are so unaware of (and, often, incurious about) actual reality.

That said ... some of you here do keep me from total despair. Thanks for that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
29-06-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: god traps the wise
(15-05-2016 06:50 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 06:15 PM)Alla Wrote:  even the material from each everything was organized? Blink

I don't understand what it means. Consider Smile

Chuck Norris tears cure cancer too bad he never cries. ChuckNorris uses tabasco sauce for eye drops. Lighting never strikes twice in the same place, because Chuck Norris is looking for it. Chuck Norris knows when you are sleeping . He knows when you are awake. He knows if you are being good bad. So play dead for goodness sake. Chuck Norris can hear the silence. Chuck Norris makes onions cry. Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock. Chuck Norris cant eat just one Lay's potato chip.

If Chuck Norris falls in the ocean, he doesn't get wet, the ocean gets Chuck Norrised.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply