god traps the wise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: god traps the wise
(10-05-2016 11:44 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 06:13 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I posted a picture of a church sign that reads, "the more educated we become, the further away from we become".
This is the response I got. I'd like to know what context this is taken and why would god want to trap the wise?
1 Corinthians 3:19:For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, "He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness."
There may be others related. This is the first one I found. Basically, when one becomes so absorbed with their own "knowledge", they no longer have faith, nor rely on God.

Wanna reread that quote slowly and see if it makes sense as written?
Thanks

Oops god was supposed to be in that quote. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll fix it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Now another friend told me I need to show a little faith and she can explain it. I asked why I needed faith? I told her its the same thing as telling me to have faith in superman and he will reveal himself to me.

Then my cousins husband said what is the point if I don't believe? I told him that I question everything that is who I am and if I don't ask questions I'll never know anything.

Jeeze I hate it when people think you shouldnt question things?
10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Now I'm being accused of not having an open mind when I explained that if I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't be asking questions! Sheesh
10-05-2016, 02:06 PM
(10-05-2016 12:54 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Now I'm being accused of not having an open mind when I explained that if I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't be asking questions! Sheesh

Walk away from the conversation.

You don't have an open mind when it comes to unsupported fairy tales
They don't have an open mind when it comes to fact based inquiry

Be comfortable knowing you have a solid foundation in your stance and move on.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
10-05-2016, 02:30 PM
“God traps the wise” because god only likes stupid, gullible people.

Wait...let’s rephrase that, “The clergy only likes stupid, gullible people. Easier to bilk them for money”. Yes, mo’ better. Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-05-2016, 04:24 PM
(10-05-2016 11:39 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Alla, in post #27 of this thread you asserted that Adam and Eve were not punished and nothing in the bible says so.

I pointed out Genesis 3:16 to 24 as refutation of your statement.

Care to comment or are you just ignoring it?
Yes, I do care to comment. This is why I am here.

Where does it say that they were punished?
May be you assume that they were punished.

P.S. If God let them to partake of the fruit from the tree of life after they ate fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil then we could say: "Wow, God punished Adam and Eve".
If Adam and Eve had an opportunity to partake of the fruit of the tree of life after they broke the law they would live forever. But they would live forever in their sin. To live forever in a sin/sins = eternal damnation.
God prevented this horrible thing.
Adam and Eve chose to have knowledge of evil. God didn't wait long, they could start to learn about evil almost right away. And that was God's plan. That is why Satan was there and tree of knowledge of good and evil was there, very conveniently.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
10-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Sooo Adam and Eve sinning was all according to God's plan?
10-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Devilsadvoc8 Wrote:Genesis 3:16 to 3:24- read them.

No more immortality
painful childbearing
ruled by man
work for food
banished from garden.

Seems like punishments to me, but then I am not a troll. ,
This is exactly what I was saying. There is no claim in the Bible that Adam and Eve were punished. Not even one tiny claim in the whole Bible.
But what seems to you may be not true.
Part of God's plan:
garden for Adam and Eve - check
very conveniently tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden - check
very conveniently Satan is in the garden - check
very conveniently law "multiply and replenish" given - check
very conveniently law "do not eat that fruit" is given - check

Perfect - all conditions for Adam's fall are prepared.
Now God only have to sit and wait when they get tempted and partake of the fruit.
If they don't God's plan fails, and Adam and Eve will remain in the garden of Eden forever without having knowledge of good and evil, without any progression, without children.

10-05-2016, 04:35 PM
(10-05-2016 02:06 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 12:54 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Now I'm being accused of not having an open mind when I explained that if I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't be asking questions! Sheesh

Walk away from the conversation.

You don't have an open mind when it comes to unsupported fairy tales
They don't have an open mind when it comes to fact based inquiry

Be comfortable knowing you have a solid foundation in your stance and move on.

Still having the conversation. Its quite great actually. My stepsons girlfriend posted that she is catholic and she does not approve of the sign.
This is really about the sign and why would it be put up when we have access to to many resources to make sure what you say and do and the messages you put out when you are part of a community that can quickly look up anything. Ignorance is something we should not have with as much access to resources that is available.
10-05-2016, 04:38 PM
(10-05-2016 04:27 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Sooo Adam and Eve sinning was all according to God's plan?
Transgressing the law was part of God's plan.
Transgressing the law without understanding that to transgress the law = evil/not good