grrrrr - got to vent about a creationist group in texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 05:24 AM by Debzilla.)
Sad grrrrr - got to vent about a creationist group in texas
Was at a museum tonight where they had a thoughtful discussion about "Darwin's Dilemma: evolution and religion." All of the panel members were Theists who believe in evolution. There were many atheists/agnostics in audience and during the question/answer some challenged religion but everyone was quite respectful.
My question came at the end, and I decided to highlight the common ground that everyone seemed to be pro-evolution, so, regardless of
theist vs. atheist views, with 46% of the US population not believing in evolution and frequent challenges to teaching in public schools, where do we all go from here. I didn’t say anything particularly partisan or "extreme." However, when I sat down I looked over to see someone was
filming the entire event.

I told the museum director, who approached the person. Long story short, there were two men from a creationist group who were going to use the film for who knows what. I told them that this was a private forum and that to be open people must feel safe, which is undermined when someone is filming without consent. They tried to argue it was public, but the director sited the sign up front that said no cameras/photo/filming.

We made them delete it in front of us. I was really upset by this at the time. At one point, one of the men said "now you know how we creationists feel." That was when I became sure they whatever plans they had for this film, it was not good.

Sigh.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Debzilla's post
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
RE: grrrrr - got to vent about a creationist group in texas
That's no different than the Australian creationists that posed as a film crew in order to gain an interview with Richard Dawkins. They later edited the film to make it look like he couldn't answer a question on evolutionary theory. For people who claim to travel the higher moral ground they sure do break the rules and lie a lot!

I commend you for alerting the museum staff. There is no telling what they intended to do with the tape.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you handled it perfectly.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
(06-06-2012 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you handled it perfectly.
Yeh, but there's always room for a black eye or two! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
While editing... do these people not think "I am committing a sin. I am deliberately creating and publishing a lie."? I thought Christianity was all about not telling lies...
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
07-06-2012, 03:22 AM
(07-06-2012 03:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  While editing... do these people not think "I am committing a sin. I am deliberately creating and publishing a lie."? I thought Christianity was all about not telling lies...
Their view of reality is so warped that they can justify whatever they do. If they're fighting for Jesus, how could they be doing anything wrong?
That's why religious morality is so scary.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
(07-06-2012 03:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  While editing... do these people not think "I am committing a sin. I am deliberately creating and publishing a lie."? I thought Christianity was all about not telling lies...
I refer you to The Crusades.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I sure hope the ECs and TEs reprimanded them in some regard for embarrassing other Christians.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
(07-06-2012 08:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
I refer you to The Crusades.
I refer you to The Anal Butt-Sex of Doom.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
(07-06-2012 08:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 08:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I refer you to The Crusades.
I refer you to The Anal Butt-Sex of Doom.
Do you have pictures?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post